N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

What needs to be addressed is the weather! I get one weekend off a month and mother nature craps all over my research plans! eh what can ya do?

You are not that far away from a good area.....you have a pm.

Guest zenmonkey

Actually I went out late last night to see if anything was moving around. Either thinking they would move or hunker down. Either way thought it'd be a good time to check it out. Was so bright out with the cloud cover and snow didn't even need night vision. And yes sunflower I pmed you back!!

I am debating the potential of my area at present, it is much easier to write it off for the

winter than record every night. I should anyway, Stan Courtney said he has gotten his best

action in the winter months, but he is 300 miles south of me. I am looking at some technology

to help my cause, right now I just have a decent trail cam, and recording device, and night

vision scope, hmmmm thermal imaging, well it might be getting closer to my price range, saw

a version that uses the cell phone to display for around $300 and seems to have pretty good

imaging. I remember dreaming of having the internet at my fingertips on my cell phone, including

all the radar imagery when I was Storm Chasing, and sure enough only a decade later that was

reality, I hope I live long enough to see technology catch up with these creatures. If that is

even possible....

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Hi Bipto

As you state that activity falls with the leaves, do the few NAWAC members intermittently present at X during the winter months employ a different modus operandi, particularly with regard to data collection? It would strike me that less opportunity for visual data would lead to favouring the collection of audio data. I know it's not your ultimate goal but the audio recording you posted was very interesting and I'm sure more of the same would prove useful, along with all or any data.

Also, I'm sure that you are aware of Branco's description of three 'types' of Bigfoot, most recently described in the "What Is Sasquatch" thread. Leaving aside his 'human / homo belief', do any of the NAWAC's experiences, visual or otherwise, match any of his reported behavior at all? Not trying to spark a human / ape debate, just wondered if any data correlated.

Again, sorry in advance if any of this has been covered already in this thread.

Edited by the parkie

It would strike me that less opportunity for visual data would lead to favouring the collection of audio data.

We don't typically try to collect audio data during the off-season. Those trips in are usually preparatory for the active periods of the year and aren't specifically about contact with the apes (though, if they want to, they're always welcome to show themselves). 

Also, I'm sure that you are aware of Branco's description of three 'types' of Bigfoot, most recently described in the "What Is Sasquatch" thread. Leaving aside his 'human / homo belief', do any of the NAWAC's experiences, visual or otherwise, match any of his reported behavior at all? Not trying to spark a human / ape debate, just wondered if any data correlated.

I'm not familiar with that, no. We have seen at least three general body types. One that appears very much like the PGF film subject, at least one that is much more strongly built with a broad chest and V-shaped torso, and then others that appear to be less developed and generally smaller. I think this is all based on normal sexual dimorphism, etc., and not three types of distinctly different animals. Look at lions. If you didn't know that one was a male and one was a female, you might think the one with the big bushy mane was a different type of animal. Same goes for silverback gorillas. We need more and better observation over time to tease this all out. 

I'm not familiar with that, no. 

Below is the link to Branco's post #44 in the 'What Is Sasquatch' thread...

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/44098-what-is-sasquatch/?p=792993

With some additional information here in post #64...

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/44098-what-is-sasquatch/?p=793169

I just wondered if there was any correlation between these reported observations and NAWAC's observations?

We have seen at least three general body types. One that appears very much like the PGF film subject, at least one that is much more strongly built with a broad chest and V-shaped torso, and then others that appear to be less developed and generally smaller.

With regard to the one that looks like the PGF film subject, was that thought by the NAWAC to be female or indeterminable?

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

With regard to the one that looks like the PGF film subject, was that thought by the NAWAC to be female or indeterminable?

We don't know. We do believe it's the dominant animal in the area based on its behavior and its superficial similarities to the PGF make us suspect it's a female, but we can't say for certain based on our few observations of it. 

Edited by bipto

Most dominant animals eventually make a mistake.  Not Wood Apes though right?

Dominance leads to territorial battles, mating battles, and food battles which will eventually lead to the dominant animal dying.

Male Elephants charge someone with a .500 Nitro Express, because he doesn't like anyone around him when he is looking for a mate.

A Male Lion try to kill a Cape Buffalo and end up on the wrong end of a horn.

A Female Brown Bear kills a hiker for trespassing in it's territory, game officers go in and kill the bear in question.

A Drunk 25 year old male, talks schmack at a bar, and ends up getting jumped in the parking lot.

What is the difference between Doominant Wood Apes and all of these other Dominant creatures?

Edited by Drew

You didn't mention gorillas or orangs which would be the most analogous, if you subscribe to the NAWAC's belief - what happens with those?

Perhaps NAWAC are wrong and it's not the dominant animal. To be fair, Bipto did state "we don't know".

Edited by the parkie

Perhaps NAWAC are wrong and it's not the dominant animal. To be fair, Bipto did state "we don't know".

If we knew all the things the denialists say we do, this would have been over a long time ago. 

You seem to be misunderstanding my comment that we thought the PGF-like individual was the dominant in its group with the idea that wood apes are the top predator in their habitat. That wasn't my point, but may be true and is not an unreasonable supposition. Nobody can say for certain. 

Tired old "these are the reasons bigfoot cannot be real" arguments are not the purpose of this thread. As has been repeatedly stated. 

If we knew all the things the denialists say we do, this would have been over a long time ago. 

Tired old "these are the reasons bigfoot cannot be real" arguments are not the purpose of this thread. As has been repeatedly stated. 

The only animal the denialists seem to consider absolutely perfect is Homo sapiens.  Resoundingly debunked.

Guest zenmonkey

Dominance leads to territorial battles, mating battles, and food battles which will eventually lead to the dominant animal dying.

Male Elephants charge someone with a .500 Nitro Express, because he doesn't like anyone around him when he is looking for a mate.

A Male Lion try to kill a Cape Buffalo and end up on the wrong end of a horn.

A Female Brown Bear kills a hiker for trespassing in it's territory, game officers go in and kill the bear in question.

A Drunk 25 year old male, talks schmack at a bar, and ends up getting jumped in the parking lot.

What is the difference between Doominant Wood Apes and all of these other Dominant creatures?

Matt Pruit and I had a conversation about this a little while back. How it wouldn't make sense for this animal to remain hidden and yet be aggressive and want to show dominance in that way. 

Our experience suggests that the vast majority of the time, they're actively avoiding detection by us and prefer to observe, but on rare occasion they will get obviously aggressive. The outstanding question is whether the rock throwing is a form of a aggression or not.