Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Thanks, Wes, WSA, and LT. I really do think it's human activity due to the size, and the fact that it's a forest preserve in an urban environment. It's typical of such areas that they're off-limits at night when our subjects get active (although I can't imagine how that's enforced), so IMO worthy of study. Yeah, Wes, I do try to survey the surrounding areas in what time I have (not enough). I have some theories that I'm slowly investigating about their possible activities, which will include audio recording. If nothing else, I might learn about homeless people finding shelter in this close environment, heh.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been to the area of sightings near me in which I've found interesting evidence for months. Planning to get back there soon with a small group and record there, as well. Patience is a requirement, lol.

I know all about that time thing JKH. It's a rascally rabbit to manage.

It does appear to be built by a human or several. But still worth more study because it's all a part of the learning curve. The trick with wood structures is knowing the difference between human and what I would call suspect in origin.

I have seen some pretty large X's and arches on a trip to Vancouver Island.

Some of the arches were 20 feet at the peak and the tops were pinned down by some pretty big rocks.

I just can't see people doing this kinda stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a new one, on a route that I drive pretty much daily. This is a live tree that appears twisted and pulled over, it's about two inches in diameter. I think it probably happened last night, because I would have noticed it before. It's about 6' up, maybe 7' from bottom of ditch underneath it.

post-22484-0-34357200-1404941485_thumb.j

post-22484-0-80277200-1404941775_thumb.j

Yes it is. Is that an ash? If so, even more impressive. You don't just walk up to an ash tree and twist it off, not me anyway. It also raises the possibility the tree was infested with emerald ash borer...mighty be a tasty treat.

Stopped by my spot briefly in the heat last Saturday to get out of the house, close to where other possible manipulations I found previously and near the river. Tons of hogs tracks as we have had a lot of rain past late Spring into early Summer. Some dead fall was down blocking the road in two places near one another but coming from opposite sides of the road which was a little interesting and near one of the fell dead trees was something somewhat interesting with multiple overlapping separate branches which made it worth photographing. If it was just one thing it would be easier to pass off but this upon closer inspection had some complexity too just not any symbolic beauty like others have. On a side note , I did a brief high pitch shriek manual vocal and got nearby movement and multiple vocalizations back of what I am pretty sure was a gray fox.

post-1911-0-50067900-1405038836_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-79853100-1405038926_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-00896800-1405039049_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-16437500-1405039115_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-64502800-1405039189_thumb.jp

post-1911-0-31708400-1405039457_thumb.jp

^I believe so. Is that a very tough wood?

Let's put it this way: Most all baseball bats are made from it! A lot of the native Indian bows were also made of it too for its great grain and flexibility. (They also used if for pipe stems because of the spongy pith down the middle, which could be burned out) I've made many bows and catlinite "peace" pipe stems over the years from it. 

So, not your easiest target if you're wanting to twist one off. Only something with enough strength to not care would choose it, or be able to do it, in my opinion.

I agree Gearman...some complexity there, at least to my eye. Thanks for posting those.

Speaking of twists check this out. While I was taking a pic of this X yesterday .....

post-1320-0-21769500-1405349363_thumb.jp

my friend notices this.....

post-1320-0-96097300-1405349465_thumb.jp  post-1320-0-74013100-1405349500_thumb.jp

how is something like that done through natural causes?

A good example of things we can rule out WesT...those are pretty common in woods with climbing vines. Earlier that tree had one that twisted around, creating a  reaction in the wood. On the bottom of that twist you'll be able to see the rotten/dead remainds of that vine. The likely candidate would be japanese honeysuckle or greebriar....both fairly common in your necka' the woods.  Many who carve walking sticks look for these kinds of trees. Once you strip the bark off, they present an interesting profile.

Guest Crowlogic

In my former travels I used to drive through a section of countryside that happened to have a number of the kinds of trees that are frequently seen as having been manipulated for purpose.  However there was nothing in the region to attribute this to Sasquatch.  But over the course of several years due to storms and seasonal changes I got to observe a number of tree breaks that I knew were due to natural causes.  Most impressive were wind induced breaks and twists.  For me anything that is not a premeditated structure is almost certainly the effects of the environment itself and not of animal origin.  

Thanks WSA. I thought that the limbs growing out of the middle twist only was interesting looking. It would make a good walking stick because the tree is very straight. There are vines in this forest that could have caused it.

Nothing new has been found other than this which at the rivers edge.....

post-1320-0-58435600-1405429338_thumb.jp   post-1320-0-25732800-1405429496_thumb.jp

Getting some activity at the picnic table. I'm gonna have to learn stick language......

We'll build a miniature of the hunting blind soon so you can get a visual on it. It might be a prudent idea to only post it in the premium section,  kids are out of school and I don't want to give them any bright ideas and then be held accountable. I have to keep in mind, It does kill.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic