Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Welcome Jim!  The encounter you had when you lived here is what got me interested in this subject. What you experienced is important because you can I.D. what possibly makes these things. 

Right now I'm getting ready to go back to the area where the hunting blind was found so I gotta go. I'll be back!

jtheat, I have a couple questions.  Do you feel that what you encountered that day was responsible for building the structure you saw?  Can you draw a rough pic and/or give us a detailed description of how the structure was built? Thanks!

Wes I think they are grubbing and maybe eating some bugs.

Also one day I actually took off a piece of bark just to see what on earth they could be after. In addition to the bark i found that with a pine tree there is a thin sheet of aromatic slightly,oily tree material in between the thick outer bark and the dense inner tree part. Natural bug repellent.......I don't know i can only speculate but maybe.

And...then we have the article you found so maybe they just eat the bark as hard as it is to imagine that. They must have a cast iron stomach........all that raw meat...bark...live frogs ...Wow!

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/complementaryandalternativemedicine/herbsvitaminsandminerals/pine-bark-extract

In the winter of 1535, a French explorer named Jacques Cartier found his ship ice-bound in the St. Lawrence River, in what is now Quebec. Having no fruits or vegetables, the crew became ill with scurvy, a disease resulting from vitamin C deficiency. Several had already died when a Native American told them how to prepare a tea made from tree bark. Many crew members recovered and attributed miraculous qualities to the tea. It is thought now that the tea was prepared from the bark of the Eastern White Cedar tree and that it contained large amounts of vitamin C.

In 1951, French researcher Dr. Jacques Masquelier reportedly read this account in Cartier’s writings and began a search for the active ingredients in the tea. He was able to extract proanthocyanidins from the bark of the European coastal pine tree. He patented the process and named the compound Pycnogenol.

In 1970, proanthocyanidins were also extracted from grape seeds. The compound found in grape seeds and plants is referred to as either proanthocyanidins or pycnogenol. However, it differs somewhat from the pycnogenol extracted by Dr. Masquelier.

Guest lightheart

Good catch Cotter!

I actually take pycnogenol from time to time. It is one of the few supplements that you can really notice the difference in your energy when you have taken it.

You mentioned the cedar bark......this is the other type of tree that I am seeing the bark stripped from.  Just these two. Also as I mentioned there are lots and lots of bugs under each piece of bark removed. So they are getting protein from the bugs, pycnogenol and Vitamin C .....well wow.......just wow!

That might be Lightheart, yes. I'm sure you know also, whitetail bucks have a real affinity for making rubs on E. cedar trees. Are you saying this is a different appearance?  

Here are some pics I took Sunday.

This first one looks like a rub of some kind?

post-1320-0-05144300-1396970109_thumb.jp

I saw a couple of young tree's done this way where the bark is stripped at the top.

post-1320-0-64315500-1396970248_thumb.jp

Check this out. I'll show the relevant pics, tell me what you think it might be.

post-1320-0-13108500-1396970627_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-08463500-1396970668_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-52978900-1396970741_thumb.jp

The trees in the first picture...almost definitely buck rubs, and the height you typically find those.  They come back year after year sometimes, and I've see ancient rubs where they've actually deformed the tree into a pronounced bend.

Can't tell much from the second pic, sorry.

The photos of the cinderblock are very interesting. Looks like all the world like the block had been used to scrape away the punky wood to possibly get to tasty edibles within. Is that your impression?

Last photo....again, hard to reall tell if that is significant.

Guest lightheart

These Cedar trees have been stripped about ten feet up in some cases. It appears that something climbed the tree and stripped the bark. Are you saying that this could have been done year after year causing the tree to continue to grow and gradually moving the stripped sections higher and higher?

Doesn't sound like a rub, no.  Tree branches don't grow higher as the tree ages, and the bark doesn't migrate up. (After all, you won't find initials carved in treebark at eye level moving to the top of the tree)

Thanks for explaining that.

Guest lightheart

WSA

This is one of the reasons I truly think discussions like these provide insights over time. There is so much to be learned about these creatures. The more hours I am spending in the woods, the more I am noticing and questioning and there is much to be found there that has absolutely nothing to do with the big guys.

Guest jtheat

WesT..

I have no doubt in my mind that bigfoot was responsible for building that structure... just a few moments after I spotted the structure is when I had my encounter with a large bigfoot. It was not a coincidence.  I got too close to their "area" and they let me know it.  First by throwing stones and then by confronting me.

If you think about it - it was the most logical place to build such a structure... It was on the edge of the woods facing a clearing. Wildlife frequently walk near the woods.  It was near a stream (for water) and it was located in place that very few people ventured.  It was classic survival... shelter, water and near food..  How many structures have been found near water and near location frequented by wildlife?  I would hazard a guess that many of the structure fit that category..  Bigfoot or Sasquatches are masters of survival and they also mastered the art of hiding. Most of the time they are seen when they want you to see them.. I can testify to that fact.

I will create a drawing of the structure and I will post it on here soon.

Edited by jtheat

Thanks Jim. They are the masters of swerve. It takes an "in your face" type structure to snap you out of it and make you go "what the ????". After that, I started noticing all kinds of things. I look forward to seeing what the structure you saw looked like.

The trees in the first picture...almost definitely buck rubs, and the height you typically find those.  They come back year after year sometimes, and I've see ancient rubs where they've actually deformed the tree into a pronounced bend.

Can't tell much from the second pic, sorry.

The photos of the cinderblock are very interesting. Looks like all the world like the block had been used to scrape away the punky wood to possibly get to tasty edibles within. Is that your impression?

ee

Last photo....again, hard to reall tell if that is significant.

I figured it was a rub.

The second pic is where a sapling has the bark missing off the end. It is hard to see so I'll get better pics next time.

The cinderblock is just one clue, and I forgot I don't have a pic of the second clue. It's like telling a joke and forgetting the punch line. I'll do my best to explain what it is your looking at. 

Here's a pic of the cinderblock when it was noticed that it had been moved from the picnic table area and placed next to the fallen tree, Date taken, August 26th. 2012

post-1320-0-01220300-1397060699_thumb.jp

The other clue were the hoof marks from deer on top of the fallen log. Back then the fallen tree didn't have the signs of decay it does now. Also the cinderblock in this pic is a single hole block. It was later replaced with the double hole cinderblock. But since then the fallen log has decayed alot and especially where the deer trampled it. But you can see the debris from the cinderblock on the ground and has the same looking wear pattern as the second one.

Last photo shows how the tree was pushed over to direct the prey toward the log with the cinderblock behind it. With that in mind, look at it again. Notice the broken tree that appears to have been pushed over in the background. The top is pointing in and hangs over the bank. 

post-1320-0-37108100-1397062079_thumb.jp

Edited by WesT

I will create a drawing of the structure and I will post it on here soon.

Thanks, I would appreciate having a look at what you saw, structure and creature alike. Are you an artist by chance?

• masterbarber unpinned this topic