Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

I have only found one tree manipulation so far that I could not figure out a natural cause. The large limb hanging on this bowed limb is natural, but the bow if you look close is bent and the fork in the bowed tree "sprung" against the larger tree. No way weather could have done that. I am 6 ft tall there is a pic of me in the camouflage holding up my hand to give a height scale.I thought for a while that it was human made so I tested my theory with a slightly smaller tree of the same species within about 5 ft of the bowed tree. Trying it myself changed my mind about being human made the one pic is not a sasquatch up a tree that is me at 145 lbs and I am not getting it to bow and it felt like if I forced it it would kink and snap near the top. The last pic was a surprise when I came down out of the tree. I found it in a bush at the base of the tree a little weird being that it was about 45 degrees outside, a very thin green tree snake.

Guest lightheart

Wow Gearman! That is a really cool double x. What are your thoughts on why they make these?

Edited by lightheart

Well my guess as good as anys I suppose. I just figure either a territorial display by males (starting young) to show "their" area to other BF or perhaps a marker to say something like "Bigfoot Area" to humans ? "Stay Out" !    I have considering leaving my own scat or urinating on them and leaving a recorder behind... maybe next time... 

Interesting shots David. I'd be curious to know if that bowed tree was still living, and was there evidence of wear around the trunk of the upright tree it was wedged against? What I'm getting at, is I wonder sometimes if trees that are in those positions didn't get bowed over when much younger, and grew in that position for years.  You of course know the swaying of the trees will make rub patterns on each of them, and I can't tell from the photos if that was present.

Also, that deadfall piece that is atop the bowed tree.  You think, that was a treetop that just happened to land in that position? Did you  maybe see where it came from?

Thanks for posting that. Nice green snake shot. I love to see those, when I do. They are just so exotic looking for E. forest.

Guest lightheart

HaHa Gearman. I bet that would get a rise out of them. I recently passed through an area with a heavy urine smell. There had been some recent human activity in that location and I would bet my paycheck that they have been urinating there in mass to make their point about territory.

WSA I have observed a number of small bowed over trees where there is evidence that they maybe spending some time. Five or six small trees have been bowed over about a foot up and are now growing horizontally. They surround a cleared area with plenty of head room - no ground vegetation - no lower limbs hanging down. Evidence of grubbing, searching for hickory nuts, large fallen pine trees being stripped of bark and chipped apart slowly over time I want to also add that only certain trees are bowed. Many others remain untouched by whatever caused the others to bow over.

I have no idea either what the X's are supposed to mean. I just know there are quite a few at the location I visit. Wood language is what I call it for lack of a better term. I've seen the suspicious tree bows, and X's but have no idea what to make of them. It's amazing to see folks like Gearman and David NC (and lightheart to) have noted and documented the same things I have. Well at least we're not alone.

I want you all to take a look at what happened when I left a bag of Virginia gourmet salted peanuts at the picnic table. I'm getting some pics from my photobucket right now so I'll post what happened here in a bit.

It is the selectivity of only certain trees in an area that are the most interesting to me. Ice and wind just don't discriminate to that extent.  What I'm also interested in knowing is what possibility is there for certain otherwise normal tree specimens to just grown in an arc? Sort of like scoliosis of the spine? Reaction wood in trees is typically due to physical forces (witness the asymmetrical limbs/trunks on trees near ridgelines, showing clearly the direction of prevailing winds), but do some species just....for no apparent reason....bow over?  I need to look into that.   Of course, even if true, that wouldn't explain trees that are clearly "pinned" by wood that did not obviously fall from above. It als won't explain the trees that bow on a  short timeframe...like overnight!

Guest lightheart

I don't see many x formations. Not sure I have seen any that are unexplainable in my areas.

But I see caber sized trees leaned up against other trees. Trees (only pines) pushed over into the forks of other trees. The smaller bowed trees I mentioned. Stick barricades on both sides of a trail that I believe are either blinds or intended to slow down the prey that I think they triangulate to herd into. I am also seeing branches woven into a hanging stick structure. Some have been wedged with other trees and some are woven more or less so that they hang suspended. I have also found cedars jammed through other trees with branches still intact. I think these point to something. They must have been jammed through there when they were still green otherwise the branches would have broken. These are almost threaded through there in an unnatural way.

WSA. The bowed tree is still alive. I did not notice if there was any rubbing against the larger tree. I can take a walk back to it and see. The limb hanging from it is a tree limb not a tree top. I could see where it broke from about 15ft up a large tree near and I could still see a small divet in the ground where the end of the limb hit the ground and then the weight of the larger end caused it to change direction which put it within reach of landing against the bowed tree and just so happened to hook on it with that limb piece sticking out. I know a lot of these things are hard to describe e on the computer and even hard to see on pics. sometimes it is like tracking and you have to step back and try to see the whole picture. That is how I was able to figure out the limb hanging on it was most likely natural. it is possible that something picked it up from laying right beside it and hung it there , but with the divet/pockmark on the ground the dead limb matching a break on tree right near it. the probability is near 100% that it just got hung up after it broke off the tree. The bowed tree no were that easy to explain. I will go back and check the large tree and see if there are any clues on it. I know there was no rub marks on the outside of the bow, I checked because of the large log lying on the outside of the bow, which I thought might have "rode" the tree over, but could not find anything that suggested that.

After putting the peanuts on the picnic table, and right before leaving, I took this nearby X, which was buried in leaves now, and moved it to the right about 5ft. 

post-1320-0-60284000-1405527119_thumb.jp

I placed them on the ground like the other X that had the turkey feather near it.

post-1320-0-99884300-1405527193_thumb.jp

When I returned the peanuts were gone (of course because anything could have gotten them) but the stick X I put down was gone also and this was in it's place.

post-1320-0-40408200-1405526978_thumb.jp   post-1320-0-24525200-1405527395_thumb.jp

Not really sure what to make of it. No limbs on the tree, broken at the base, nothing else damaged nearby. I'm trying to picture in my mind how wind could have done that. No luck yet...

And these appeared at the picnic table.

post-1320-0-43011200-1405527767_thumb.jp   post-1320-0-18337400-1405527782_thumb.jp

A human could have done these things I know. But if so, to what end? If not, then is there an attempt to communicate?

David NC, that tree bow is suspect for sure. A tree that size is very strong and I see it's still alive. The only way a human could do it is with rope, getting it to stay like that for any length of time would be the trick. But again if a human did it, then to what end?

Good description David..I can see exactly what you are describing in my mind.

WesT..., yup, if that is a manipulation by non-human entities, the range of possible meanings is endless. My w.a.g.? "This food source is mine. Hands off." 

But, what? No beer with those nuts? What's the point?! (O.K., maybe it means instead, "Next time a cold one would be appreciated.")

The dynamics of tree manipulation is what fascinates me, as demonstrated by your experiment, Wes. I've been paying close attention to the woods since I discovered some strange ones near me. Visiting the same areas repeatedly clearly enables some very interesting observations of changes on scales from small/subtle to masses far beyond human strength. Thanks for sharing images and ideas, everyone.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic