Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

BTW

I find very similar bent trees here in Australia, that have been damaged/destroyed by deer. But in saying that have found similar damaged to trees that contain birds nests, which maybe attributed to Yowie activity ie food source

I have also discovered trees that have been uprooted, trees about 2" through, on closer inspection of the rootball there are obvious signs of where grubs have been extracted from the tree.

Around here I would think people or bear 1st. But if it was a bear it still should have fallen 90° from where it did. The top is buried under forest litter now so hard telling what might have been there.

• 4 weeks later...

Premise: There is presently something  manipulating living trees and constructing crude wooden structures from dead trees and  branches on the N. American continent, and these are broadly consistent and uniform manifestations to an extent not likely to be coincidental.

Questions:

1. Has any individual given an account of seeing this actually being done, as it was occurring?  

2. Has any comprehensive study or survey been done to detect any patterns as to the location of these structures, relative to each another and other topographical features? 

3. Has any silva culturist examined any of these features to offer an opinion on the likelihood of them occurring naturally?

I ask because I find it to be both the least compelling evidence of their existence, but highly intriguing at the same time. If this animal is leaving this number of tangible markers on the landscape, it not only offers an opportunity to track their locations fairly definitively, it also offers an area rife for conjecture on why they find this widespread activity so necessary.  Aside from "It's a territorial thing", what else might there be to it?

About a year ago, in the El Dorado National Forest we found 2 small trees, about 2.5 inches in width, about 10 feet apart, both broken at about the 6 foot level. They both were pushed down and formed an X. This was at the end of a dirt road and at a point where a path led down to the Molcolumne river. When I saw this the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I dont believe any human would possess the strength to twist either of these trees the way they were twisted and partially broken. A human would have to had cut these trees. I assume since the X was adjacent the trail to the river, the sign represented something, to them at least. 

Hello Oh Mah. Welcome to the Forum.

Intriguing, yes.

Did you happen to get an pictures of that? If so, I'd love to see one. Did you happen to notice what species of tree they were? Also, any other interesting activity around that area you'd care to tell us about?

Thanks for posting that.

• 3 weeks later...

So is your idea that they, sasquatches, hide within the structure at some point whilst hunting?

My apologies Bodhi, I never did answered your question. Yes. But I don't know for a fact about the sasquatch part.

The structure that was used to hide behind was just one of 1 of 4 (possibly 5) components used in the set-up. The other components, when viewed by themselves, would seem useless and without purpose.

• 1 month later...

WesT, you might find this one of interest. We were following an elk trail from a patch of second growth firs into an alder patch next to a marsh. In alder patches in this area there are limbs laying everywhere. Some flat on the ground. Some stuck in like a spear. But with this particular structure the long limb was lifted up under the branches of the tree on one side and forced into the ground on the other end. Those branches exert a downward force on the limb. So to hold it in place another one was pushed up against it and also forced into the ground. Creating an 'X' in the trail and a good obstacle. Elk going around this had to pass between an uprooted stump, a large log and a large thick clump of trees. All making perfect ambush spots to hide from any approaching elk. Whether it was successful or not I don't know. We looked around but didn't find any evidence that anything had been killed. Yes it could have been a person but it is in an out of the way place. But it was interesting and done by something with hands. Alder limbs rot off pretty quickly around here, so it was done fairly recently.

post-24465-0-64882700-1464039697_thumb.jpost-24465-0-33125900-1464039760_thumb.jpost-24465-0-61214700-1464039812_thumb.j

Guest WesT

You were at an ambush site. I knew it as soon as I saw it. Signs of a kill won't be evident. You'll have to search the parameter of the marker/guide to find the set-up. The set-ups aren't easy to spot. A good amount of ingenuity and planning goes into them.  If the X was embedded in the ground, it was used as a fence (guide), like the arch I posted up thread. (the top of that tree was stuck in the ground also, and the branches were stripped off)

Other artificially constructed structures are probably nearby. Also, look for evidence of game trail manipulation, and keep an eye out for things that exhibit signs of wear. You're close, press on.

Edited by WesT

The way we interpreted it was as a moment of opportunity when some elk were headed their way. The spot itself was flanked by excellent ready made ambush spots which I myself would have used if elk were headed my way. As to whether it will be used again I suppose if the opportunity presented itself it could be.

We have seen areas paralleling elk trails where the limbs were broken to about seven feet with the branches above still intact. If we walk the elk trails we are constantly ducking. My son and I are both 6' or taller. If we walk these 'trails', no ducking is required.

I was wondering what you meant when you said the kill wouldn't be evident. Elk are big animals and the only reports I have seen with bigfoot and interactions with elk carcasses is them being dragged. What we have found of possible bigfoot feeding sites supports this. In that the kills are seldom far from the assumed ambush sites. 400 or 500lbs or more is not something except maybe a very big sasquatch could throw over its shoulder and walk off with. The evidence we have found in this area suggests a female and juvenile frequent the area. The kills we have found that we consider being feed on by bigfoot were also close to the kill site. So whether it's a bigfoot or a cougar doing the killing and the bigfoot just taking advantage of the situation, things are not being moved very far. Of course a cougar didn't produce this obstacle.

Still looking for some fresh kills to stake out with our time lapse cameras.

WesT, you might find this one of interest. We were following an elk trail from a patch of second growth firs into an alder patch next to a marsh. In alder patches in this area there are limbs laying everywhere. Some flat on the ground. Some stuck in like a spear. But with this particular structure the long limb was lifted up under the branches of the tree on one side and forced into the ground on the other end. Those branches exert a downward force on the limb. So to hold it in place another one was pushed up against it and also forced into the ground. Creating an 'X' in the trail and a good obstacle. Elk going around this had to pass between an uprooted stump, a large log and a large thick clump of trees. All making perfect ambush spots to hide from any approaching elk. Whether it was successful or not I don't know. We looked around but didn't find any evidence that anything had been killed. Yes it could have been a person but it is in an out of the way place. But it was interesting and done by something with hands. Alder limbs rot off pretty quickly around here, so it was done fairly recently.

attachicon.gifDSCN1279.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1281.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1289.JPG

BigTreeWalker

Is this a spot that you frequently travel through on this trail ? Just would like to know since I had a giant X on a trail leading to my hunting stand that I was not to hunt in. I ignored it and kept hunting and this when i felt threaten. So yes i would like to know.

ShadowBorn, if you're meaning an intentional obstruction for us, I don't think it was. This was our 1st time into this spot. We were not hunting. Just walking the area. For obstructing elk though, I do think it was. I do think bigfoot hunt and use various strategies to assist in that pursuit. If it was for us, nothing came of it, so it wasn't effective for that purpose if that's what it was for.

Guest WesT

I was wondering what you meant when you said the kill wouldn't be evident.

Sorry bout that, what I really meant was, how the kill was made won't be evident. Different strategies use different tools and these tools are difficult to discern from the surrounding environment as tools.  Look for any signs of wear on logs, trees and tree bows, and vines, while in the ambush area, I can't stress that enough.

The bones have to be somewhere. I'd venture a guess and say within a 1 mile radius of the ambush site.

That's only if the hunt at this site was successful. Since this was probably done less than two months ago we have yet to locate a fresh kill. I would say it would be closer than a mile though, a couple hundred yards at most. We currently have found 20 elk kills in a 1 mile radius of this spot. So far none related to this site. Although all were in good ambush points along the old roads where the elk like to hang out.

Guest WesT

The 2 ambush sites I looked at suggested a high success rate. In other words, they showed sign of heavy use. If the set-up is new signs of wear might not be obvious, yet.

Guest WesT

Oh, one more thing. In the last pic you posted I see a pattern on the left hand side of the X that looks familiar. My avatar! With the exception that the one in your pic has an extra horizontal stick (3 instead of 2). I'll find the pic of the similar X I found, there's something you'll want to see.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic