Has Bf Caused You To Be Slightly Paranoid In The Woods?

georgerm

I'm not saying that they would hurt you, it's the shock value, seeing something that you never seen before, that is far from your everyday animal that you might encounter. seeing one at a distance, with an easy route to distance yourself, would be my preferred method.
 I've hunted my whole life(except last year), you are usually by yourself, walking in the woods when it is dark,  climbing up a tree and sitting totally silent in the dark, 
and i don't care how tough you are, you start hearing noises that are unfamiliar to you, your mind tells your body to get ready to run or fight, there's no way, you would not be scared if those noises led to an 8 ft tall 500 lb entity. You can try and think don't be scared, but your body is not going to agree with you  :) 
one of the scariest events that ever happened to me while hunting, I'm in a treestand, about an hour before sunlight, in camo head to toe, with just my eyes showing,
this great horned owl goes to land on the branch 2 feet in front of me, It was a coin toss on who was more scared, I was screaming like a little school girl, the owl was
trying to fly in three different directions at the same time, flying into branches,trees,etc... needless to say, i didn't see another living thing all morning.

I would be all like:

Hey Hey wait big ugly!

I have some people that would love to see your picture! (fumbling for camera phone).....

Just want you all to know that I would risk life and limb for y'all.

That's hysterical about the owl, zigoapex! (You, too, SummitSquatch!) 

And I agree, the experience of seeing a being as large as a Sasquatch person is something that most people have a hard time preparing for. 

The way I'm trying to prepare for it is by entering the same territory over and over, where I know they are (because of my non-visual interactions with them), so I can have the experience of not being eaten by one of these particular individuals -- so that I know, when I finally do see one of these particular guys, that dinner is not on their mind -- because it hasn't been in all this time! And I have "proof" it hasn't, because I keep sitting on the dinner plate right in the middle of their table, over and over, and nobody even tries to take a nibble. :)

Edited by LeafTalker

As hard as it is for me to admit I guess it has changed me. Before I started researching all the reports I would walk into the woods to bow hunt in the dark and out at night without using a flashlight and never think twice about it. With all the reports from some of the areas I hunt I admitt it does cross my mind quite a bit just how easy of a target I would make if a sas was so inclinded. 

Most fears of anything in the woods are unfounded. That being said I doubt many fear BF as most outside these forum walls view it as comical. People are unfortunately more afraid of what's in your avatar than anything else these days.

Hello georgerm,

Ever since I first read "Abominable Snowmen: Legend Comes To Life" fifty years ago Sasquatch has been on my mind, I wasn't aware of them being so much out of the PacNW though. I was usually more alert even as a young teen in Ohio during the winters though as I suspected they wandered south out of Canada in that particular season. I've done much in the way of deep-woods campimg both solo and in small groups for many years and was always aware of the possibility of bears and so took the usual precautions regarding food, not trying to be stealthy myself, and other preventive measures.

Nowadays? yeah, sure, I do think of a Bigfoot angle when I camp. Going down-east Maine in two weeks FOR two weeks of tent camping- "living in the dirt" as my spouse puts it. I did check out recent reports for the state as what I would judge to be part of covering the bases.

In reading reports over the past six months though I ran across one that really did bother me more than other reports, as in feeling bad for our Hairy Friend. It was about an incident in which one walked onto a front porch and the owner opened the door and shot it with a .22 It ran off into the woods, and I quote, "wailing". Those kinds of responses bother me a bit I have to say. It reinforces the idea that for centuries Bigfoot has feared us as a result of our reacting to our own fear of it. I think about that a lot.

I'm in favor of a type specimen and the report didn't disturb me in that it was shot so much as that it apparently was only wounded and ran off to who knows where to do who knows what. Die a slow death? Live in pain for the rest of it's life? Heal well and be fine except for the frightening memory of the end result of it's curiosity? It's the unanswerable questions regarding the harm to the animal that makes the incident more disturbing.

Thanks, good topic

Edited by hiflier

I live in Oregon and BF costs me 45K BUCKS!....I hiked & camped a lot when younger,sleeping in tents or out in the open....After my face to face encounter back in 96, I've only slept out in the open in the woods once: when I got lost in the Three Sisters Wilderness....I tried sleeping in tents but couldn't get comfortable....I got rid of my old Cherokee & spent 45K on a 4wd diesel truck & camper....After reading Missing 411, I may reinforce the camper & put a gun turret on top.....

Personally, no. However, I have had some really weird and severe panic/anxiety related problems that kinda center around being in the woods, especially at night. All I can say, is that no matter what the fear is, it's not worth it, if it keeps you out of the woods. Just ignore it, if you have a love for the woods, dont let paranoia get in the way.

That's all.

.I'm in favor of a type specimen and the report didn't disturb me in that it was shot so much as that it apparently was only wounded and ran off to who knows where to do who knows what. Die a slow death? Live in pain for the rest of it's life? Heal well and be fine except for the frightening memory of the end result of it's curiosity? It's the unanswerable questions regarding the harm to the animal that makes the incident more disturbing.

Thanks, good topic

..or heal and get really pissed off at those puny 2-legged things with the shiny sticks that go boom and go forest ninja on a few of them hiking alone in "their" woods.  

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/cowman.htm

As to the subject of the post, strong fear - no.  Watchful, heck yes.  While the chances of a problem are probably on par with being struck by lightning on a clear day, how can you not be a little paranoid alone in the woods knowing that there are creatures out there capable of twisting off your limbs and using them to mount you on a wall somewhere (after they ate your liver) if they desired.  I honestly have no desire to see one in my local hikes, but would love to watch them from a distance in someone else's county.

NCBFr

Guest Darrell

I would fear the chance meeting with a bear, a mountail lion, or a wolf before I would fear meeting up with a bigfoot. And since I dont really believe they exist that just leaves more room for me in the woods while the scaredy cats stay close to home. LOL.

How can anyone fear wolves? Lol show me the documentation, a chance meeting with a wolf is like...well a chance meeting with sasquatch.

Guest Darrell

^Do you live under a rock? Come visit NE WA, ID, and MT. ID is loosening the hunting restrictions on them as is MT.

I've always got my eyes open:  whenever I'm in the woods, whenever I'm traveling roads that look, well, squatchy.

Other than that, nope.  I'm really hoping I see one.  After that....we'll re-evaluate.