Has Bf Caused You To Be Slightly Paranoid In The Woods?

georgerm

^Do you live under a rock? Come visit NE WA, ID, and MT. ID is loosening the hunting restrictions on them as is MT.

I have. And here in  Minnesota we have more wolves than those states combined there's never been reason to be afraid. I just got back from hiking Wyoming and Idaho.Its hilarious people out there are crying when the Canadians Minnesotans and Alaskans just live with them. You could show 10 instances within the last 100 years of people being attacked by wolves (which doesn't exist) in the lower 48 and it still wouldn't hold a candle to bear attacks.I love hunting,and  sure all animals should be managed but there is nothing to indicate that anyone should fear for the lives of their children because of wolves. Again give me examples not just knee jerk reactions out of unwarranted and delusional fear.

Strange someone would bring up reports of Wolves attacking humans, this happened just this past week

A 16-year-old Solway, Minn., boy was injured in an apparent wolf attack early Saturday morning as he rested in his tent on Lake Winnibigoshish near Cass Lake, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Noah Graham suffered puncture wounds on the left and right sides of his face.

“I had to reach behind me and jerk my head out of its mouth,†he said after being treated for non-life-threatening injuries at a Bemidji hospital.

The incident occurred at the U.S. Forest Service’s West Winnie Campground, near where the Mississippi River enters Lake Winnibigoshish. The campground was closed and evacuated Saturday and remains closed, according to the DNR.

“The canine approached him from the rear and before he realized it was there, it had bit him in the back of his head,†said Tom Provost, DNR regional enforcement supervisor in Grand Rapids. “His first indication was when he had its jaws clamped down on his head.â€

“He’s got puncture wounds on his head and an 11-centimeter (4.3-inch) wound that had to be closed,†said Cheri Zeppelin, DNR Northeast Region information officer in Grand Rapids.

Wolf attacks on humans are extremely rare, Provost said. He called the incident “a freak deal.â€

“It’s the first one I’m aware of (in Minnesota),†he said. “I’m not aware of another where there was physical damage to the victim.â€

A wolf matching the description of the animal that attacked Graham was trapped and killed at the campground early today by the Wildlife Services division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Provost said. The wolf was transported to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Diagnostic Lab in St. Paul for a necropsy.

DNA testing could confirm if the wolf that was trapped is the same one that attacked Graham, Provost said.

Graham said he received a shot to combat rabies after the attack. The wolf will be tested for rabies, and results of that testing should be available Tuesday or Wednesday, Provost said.

“I won’t be sleeping outside, again, any time soon,†said Graham, who was talking to his girlfriend just before the wolf attacked without warning. “There was no sound at all; didn’t hear it. It was just all of a sudden there.â€

Graham’s girlfriend fled during the attack.

“She ran and got in her Jeep right away,†he said, and two members of the camping party slept through the screaming, kicking and fighting, he said.

The wolf that was trapped was a 75-pound male, an average-sized wolf, Provost said. He said the wolf that was trapped had a deformed jaw that might have made it difficult for the wolf to acquire food by taking down large prey. No other wolves were seen at the campground, Provost said.

After the wolf attacked Graham, sometime between 4 and 4:30 a.m. Saturday, he struggled with it briefly.

“After I got up, I was kicking at it and screaming at it, and it wouldn’t leave,†he said. “But then after a while I got it to run away.â€

Statements from other campers indicated there were other incidents at the campground where an animal bit through tents, one resulting in the puncturing of an air mattress, according to the DNR. Another camper indicated that he saw a wolf near his campsite with coloration and markings matching the description of the animal believed to have attacked Graham, a DNR news release stated.

“I thought it was a big coyote, but I guess it’s a wolf,†Graham said.

There have been two wolf-attack fatalities in North America in the past decade, according to the DNR. One was in northern Canada and another was in Alaska.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/276190/

I do agree however that they are rare, as the story shows. But it can happen, and does.

Strange someone would bring up reports of Wolves attacking humans, this happened just this past week

I do agree however that they are rare, as the story shows. But it can happen, and does.

I have read the story. Absolutely it can happen but, Im looking at a much bigger picture. People are scared of wolves when your chances of being attacked is less than getting struck by lightning. I believe this was the first attack in Minnesota. And as the article mentions not a healthy wolf. You have less chance of getting attacked by a wolf much less fatally, than any other large carnivore, or even large ungulate for that matter.

^^^A point being discussed in this thread is made, however:

Personal experience will vary; and if your personal experience is like that MN guy's, well, it's gonna color your willingness to get back out there again.

Given the chances of a surprise wolf bite ever happening to him again, the word 'paranoia' might apply.  But it sure is understandable.

He actually holds no grudges, much like bear attack victims (or others who should truly loathe the beast) and wont let this stop him from enjoying the outdoors, he just won't be sleeping in them.:)

It is all perspective though. If I was harassed by a rock throwing  BF I would seriously reconsider back country hikes.

Guest Darrell

Again give me examples not just knee jerk reactions out of unwarranted and delusional fear.

Isnt that about 90% of this phenomina?

Guest JiggyPotamus

Obviously someone who doesn't believe is not going to be afraid, and if they are telling the truth then they wouldn't give the idea of bigfoot a second thought while in the forest. But those who have never had a sighting, yet who are informed of the evidence, and who accept the possibility, might acknowledge that they could see something at any minute, and therefore might feel some degree of fear. 

But I think the highest degree of fear is reserved for those who have had an encounter, especially if it was unpleasant. To tell you the truth, I think I am more afraid of having another sighting than I was afraid when I actually had my sighting. I say this because of the fear of the unknown. And not only that, but when you know these animals are out there, you can't help but keep the idea of bumping into one at the back of your mind. And not knowing exactly how or when that might happen, causes fear or anxiety, or both.

That is another difficult question, how to separate fear and anxiety from one another, not to mention other related or similar emotions. So I used the word fear, but anxiety would probably be a better word. There definitely was a mix of emotions when I had my sighting. I have not been out in sasquatch territory all that much since then, but when I have been, I definitely always had my sighting on my mind, and I knew that anything could happen at any time. It has been hard for me to completely relax out there since then, that is for sure. But I have also spent some time in the woods where I know no sasquatch live, and although I know that there are not likely any sasquatch, the anxiety is still there to a certain degree. This is what tells me that the fear or anxiety is not the product of something logical. Because knowing there are no sasquatch, logically I shouldn't feel any sort of negative emotions that are similar to what I would feel in sasquatch territory.

So I can completely understand and believe someone who refuses to go into ANY woods after a sighting. Especially when the person never even gave a second thought to sasquatch before they had an encounter. I can only imagine how scared some of these people must be. I mean I knew what I was looking at, since I know more about sasquatch than the average person, who knows next to nothing, and I still had an emotional response. Someone who has no idea that such an animal exists, yet has an encounter, could be scarred for life. And this is what the evidence, in the form of eyewitness testimony, suggests.

Guest Cervelo

List of things I worry about/fear/are of the greatest danger in the woods...

Myself

Other people

Weather

Water crossings

Falling limbs

Rogue squirrels

Meteorite strike

Tectonic shift

Sharknado(kinda weather)

Polar shift

Did I lock the front door

Should I have brought more ammo

Ect ect ect

Dragons

Rabid unicorns

Bigfoot

I have found the deeper into the woods I go the more comfortable I get, the less people the better.

It's awesome and there is little to fear, typically your the biggest danger to yourself no matter where you are.....the most dangerous thing you did that day was drive to the trailhead :)

Go out and enjoy it and just forget about bigfoot there are so many other cool things you will see!

You forgot:  left oven on?  left door unlocked?  Left something plugged in that will render house burning heap when I arrive home?

Don't think I've done a backcountry trip - anywhere, including grizzly country - in which I didn't list, up there, the biggest anxieties I had.

Oh.  Left car lights on...?