Has Bf Caused You To Be Slightly Paranoid In The Woods?

georgerm

Yes, knowledge of BF has caused me to be more watchful in the forest. 

Yes, I have a strong fear. 

No, I do not feel brave and do not want to see one face to face!

Yes, I enjoy the forest but BF keeps me thinking. 

Maybe we are fools for looking and being too self assured.  It's kind of like, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  But we all have to live together somehow.  I think the Indians were right, we should steer clear of it.  And I hope that it stays clear of us!  (coming from someone that has it living in our backyard). 

Good thread!  It's spot on.   

plusses

I guess I go by "the coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man but one."

And

“Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.† John Allen Paulos

If a bigfoot is gonna scare the pants off me, or, you know, kill me and eat me, it's gonna happen.  But until then I enjoy the hell out of my time in the woods; go carefree and unarmed, trusting the experience of 33 years outdoors; and wait for what happens next.

Edited by DWA

Yes, Bigfoot has caused me to exercise caution in the woods. I always carry a sidearm because I've heard very sinister sounding screams and growls from what I presume to be the creature. I keep it well hidden in a pair of cargo pants that have been altered to provide access to a rather large handgun holstered on my thigh. I cut the back out of a large pocket to allow direct access.

I would never intentionally seek to kill a Bigfoot, but I would, and will, do so in an instant if I'm ever threatened by one.

I am often alone, which is why I feel as I do.

Hey See,

Sounds like going out in a blaze of glory as you would probably be dealing with more than one..

BF has made me even more aware of my surroundings and not to take unneeded risks when alone.

I would say more aware everyday, not just in the woods.. Carpe diem..

Hello See-Te-Cah,

From what I've read the general approach from the Giants primarily is one of curiosity. There has been some aggression reports, however these are few. I guess it would only take one roguish event though, eh? Good for you for having some common sense and respect for the unexpected. There does seem to be signs of agression though as in swaying and such. The heart-stopping maneuver of them crouching down onto their knuckles on all fours has been reported as an hunting/attacking posture just so you know. And as Hellbilly said, there probably won't be just one. More than likely though, you won't see the others.

Edited by hiflier

I guess I go by "the coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man but one."

And

“Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.† John Allen Paulos

If a bigfoot is gonna scare the pants off me, or, you know, kill me and eat me, it's gonna happen.  But until then I enjoy the hell out of my time in the woods; go carefree and unarmed, trusting the experience of 33 years outdoors; and wait for what happens next.

You are right!!  That's what I did the last two times I sat out.  As they say locally, "I ain't scared."  Why bother?  I like the way you think.  Thank you for posting that.  Makes sense to me. 

I've not had an experience.  I backpack and hunt alone.  Sometimes I may share a hunt camp, but I leave before sunup and arrive after dusk.  At times the stories in my brain have gotten me scared, but I get over it soon enough.  I almost exclusively bowhunt with a recurve bow.

I'll tell you what though, I am more nervous and scared of physical harm in town or the city than in the woods. 

You are right!!  That's what I did the last two times I sat out.  As they say locally, "I ain't scared."  Why bother?  I like the way you think.  Thank you for posting that.  Makes sense to me. 

Bein' skeered is burnin' some good life time.  Minimize skeered.

Now if you're wondering whether what's in the chamber is big enough for that thing you hear huffing off in the brush...well, that's not skeered...that's LIVING.

I read something here a while back that makes me think swaying may not be a sign of aggression. Check out the first post on this page: http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/5676-face-to-face-meeting-with-bigfoot/

In no report in which I have read of swaying - and that is a LOT - does it appear to be a sign of anything but...well, watch people standing at a bus stop for any amount of time and you will see numerous variants on that theme.

Actually, a Coast to Coast show on UFO's was worse than the rat thing. I am really careful of what Coast shows to listen to when I'm up there alone. There are cows all around the place, open range, and in the general area of lots of cattle mutes. When I go car camping, I may try to get some attention. I also adopt Cliff's perspective of any encounter being totally awsome, because I've read quite a bit on them,and somewhat 'know' what to expect. To get over any fear or paranoia, you have to 'own' it.

Edited by Wag

I think my senses are a little sharper when out in the woods, but probably not as sharp as ,say, if I were walking down an inner city street alone in the dark...yikes! I try to enjoy myself when away from it all (it's too pretty not to),but at the same time I try to be aware of my surroundings,too. If I were to see one face-to-face, I would probably pee my pants! I think I would be in so much shock and disbelief, and yeah scared,but at the same time it would be so awesome and amazing. I would rather just be close enough to know ,without a doubt,  what I am actually really seeing  ,and be close to a car or something, so that I could get out quickly if I needed to. I think they are probably a lot like us, in that each of them are all very different individuals with different attitudes, personalities, and dispositions. I am sure most of them are really good folks,but there's bound to be a few bad apples somewhere out there.If I ever run into one, I hope it's not having a bad day. I think if we just treat them how we would want to be treated and be humble,that there would be nothing to worry about....I would hope. Have fun out there! If it happens it happens....something you would remember the rest of your life...how cool that would be!

I also adopt Cliff's perspective of any encounter being totally awsome, because I've read quite a bit on them,and somewhat 'know' what to expect. To get over any fear or paranoia, you have to 'own' it.

I totally agree with you (and DWA and Wildflower) on this. Attitude is everything... And I did the same thing: learned as much as I could ahead of time, so I could know what to expect, and that has helped tremendously. 

DWA, I'm so glad to hear that none of the reports you've read has linked swaying with aggression. That certainly fits with Midnight Owl's experience, and with a couple interviews I've heard (but of course didn't bookmark, and now can't find, so can't share -- so sorry!)

Edited by LeafTalker

Hello LeafTalker,

Yes, it certainly is. And I appreciate your being thoughtful enough to bring it to my attention. One can't know it all and I'm no exception. The implications of a close knit family group well supports my thinking too. The JWG database has numerous entries of large, medium, and small creatures being seen together, or just one large and one small. Remarkable. And Midnight Owl's narration is so, so good.