Scenario...what Would You Do, If You Have Discovered A Body?

We all hear the stories, tales and some questionable evidence. I wanted to get a topic started to see how you would handle a situation. I will lay out the scenario, let us know your steps to show the world or not.  Keeping the evidence is optional, but as we know getting evidence, taking evidence and storing is tricky. 

Scenario.

You are roughly 200 miles from any telephone and no cell service for 175 miles, in a mountain range of your choice with your small pickup-truck. You have been camping for a few days alone on Federal Land or a National Park and a winter storm is approaching with chance of snow or sleet. The Park closes tomorrow for the winter season. On the last day you begin to clean your gear and pack. You head down to a small creek / river about 300 yards away and can see how low the water line is and then you begin to smell something. Taking a look around you see an arm or a leg and after further investigation it appears to be a dead Sasquatch with a small caliber gunshot to the chest, with an exit wound. You examine the area and see the body is below the water line and with a storm incoming. In your opinion, the weight is roughly 700-900 lbs and about 8.5 feet tall, female body. During this shocking discovery, you can hear whoops and screams and they are coming closer. 

Inventory..

1. Digital Camera / Cell phone no service. 

2. Tent

3. sleeping bag

4. reading material

5. Cell phone, no service.

6. 10 foot nylon rope

7. 3 galons of water

8. Ice chest with food.

9. Backpack with clothes and shoes.

10. Guitar in the case

11. Small pocket knife

12. 9mm Pistol

13. Poncho / wet weather gear

Weather: storm couds. Wind- 20-35 variable mph. Temperature: 45 F, Humidity 60%

Time of discovery: 4 PM.

Using this scenario, outline some steps you would take to prove the existence and how would you, or would you / how would you take the body? 

I had to edit the post, but it appears I cannot due to permissions. So I am re-posting this..

We all hear the stories, tales and some questionable evidence. I wanted to get a topic started to see how you would handle a situation. I will lay out the scenario, let us know your steps to show the world or not.  Keeping the evidence is optional, but as we know getting evidence, taking evidence and storing is tricky. 

Scenario.

You are roughly 200 miles from any telephone and no cell service for 175 miles, in a mountain range of your choice with your small pickup-truck, not a full sized. You have been camping for a few days alone on Federal Land or a National Park and a winter storm is approaching with chance of snow or sleet. You were target shooting towards a small river / stream 300 yards away on the first day. The Park closes tomorrow for the winter season and no access will be available until March. On the fourth and last day you begin to clean your gear and pack. You walk down to the small creek / river about 300 yards away since your truck cannot access the stream / river. Once there you can see how low the water line is and then you begin to smell something. Taking a look around you see an arm or a leg and after further investigation it appears to be a dead Sasquatch with a small caliber gunshot to the chest, with an exit wound. You examine the area and see the body is below the water line and with a storm incoming the body might become washed away. In your opinion, the weight is roughly 700-900 lbs and about 8.5 feet tall, female body and appears to be pregnant. During this shocking discovery, you can hear whoops and screams and they are coming closer!

Inventory..

1. Digital Camera / Cell phone no service. 

2. Tent

3. sleeping bag

4. reading material

5. Cell phone, no service.

6. 10 foot nylon rope

7. 3 gallons of water

8. Ice chest with food.

9. Backpack with clothes and shoes.

10. Guitar in the case

11. Small pocket knife

12. 9 mm Pistol

13. Poncho / wet weather gear

Weather: storm clouds. Wind- 20-35 variable mph. Temperature: 45 F, Humidity 60%

Time of discovery: 4 PM.

Some legal, moral and ethical issues are on your mind; No firearms are allowed on Federal Land, a dead female pregnant Sasquatch with a small caliber bullet hole to the chest. None of your friends have a large enough vehicle to transport. If you manged to transport the body, how / what process would you use to store it and where? What media if any would you contact? If you contacted or found a Park Ranger, suspicions would be raised since you have a gun and a dead body. The chances are, it was a stray bullet from your weapon that killed the Sasquatch.

Using this scenario, outline some steps you would take to prove the existence. Remember, science wants a body.

Edited by BadVooDoo

Guest JiggyPotamus

There is only one reasonable thing to do...cut the baby out. This solves the problem of recovering an intact cadaver, but eliminates the logistical problems that would be present in attempting to transport the larger body. I am guessing that this is what you were going after when you added that she was pregnant. I can understand that many people would be appalled at my suggestion, but I am dead serious, no pun intended.

It would be quite gross, and quite difficult with a pocketknife, unless it was semi-large and sharp, and it is not something that everyone would be able to perform. But I think that under those circumstances, there is absolutely no other option that guarantees that you can prove the existence of the species. It is possible, but a fetus would do the job much quicker. Although there would initially be claims that the fetus was not from a sasquatch, but from something else, and thus DNA tests would still have to be done. 

I'm sure everyone knows how similar the fetuses of various animals appear when they are still quite undeveloped. The cells only tend to build up and add structure after some time. So it would very much depend on how far along the sasquatch was. If one could tell she was pregnant, there is a good chance she is quite advanced in her pregnancy, and thus there is a good chance that the baby would have more of a sasquatch-like appearance.

I'm still attempting to figure out if there is ANY other way, since the task I described would not be something that I would enjoy by any means. I would loathe it actually, but here is the thing...Those who are in a position to prove the existence of sasquatch, or who are in a position to gather good evidence, have a responsibility to do so in my opinion. This is partly why I get aggravated at those who withhold evidence from the public. But that is another topic altogether. 

Okay, so here are the other possibilities that I've come up with. One could simply document the find with the digital camera, and then take hair samples, as well as tissue samples, placing them in the ice chest. This would probably be the second-best alternative to what I described earlier, and in fact, it may prove to be enough in the long run. But I doubt it. I just feel that even WITH sasquatch tissue samples, there is no way to know what animal it came from. Well the person who collected the sample knows, but I doubt that would be enough for the scientists attempting to make sense of the situation and the results. And a number of things could happen, such as sasquatch DNA being quite human, to virtually cause science to lose all interest in the samples, if there was any interest to begin with. A body on the other hand translates into instant notoriety for the subject. So like I said, there are many variables.

But the samples, coupled with the visual evidence, would PROBABLY be enough to prove the existence of the species in due time. Taking samples would also be a good idea even if one took the first route I described, and recovered the fetus from the pregnant mother...As extraordinarily gruesome as that sounds. Having two samples is much better than one in terms of scientific analysis. Then there is the possibility that the body could be buried. There are no digging implements on the list, but if the soil was soft enough, or if there were medium-sized rocks nearby, the body could possibly be hidden well enough that nothing will bother it, and the person can lead researchers and scientists, and police most likely, back to the location. 

Oh, which reminds me...A person who shows up all bloody, with a fetus in tow, or just with the fetus itself, is going to initially be scrutinized by the authorities. It is a given, and understandably so. That would not be something I would wish to deal with, but I believe that coupled with the other evidence, the witness' case could be made well enough to eliminate any charges being brought up, or any other repercussions. At least I would think so.

Well, since I'm already inspecting the body.  I would pretty much cut off  minimum 3 fingers or toes (whatever is exposed) and pretty much RUN out of there, carrying only the pistol, fingerstoes, and enough drinking water I think I need to make it to the truck.

Return home, get my pals together, arm ourselves to the teeth, and hike back in the next day to see what (if anything) is left.  We would be going for capitation of teh 'de' kind at that point.

I would send a finger/toe to Jeff Meldrum, keep 1 in my friend's freezer, and probably auction the other one off on E-Bay.  ;-)

Edit - I would snap a couple quick pics, but if I heard a group of BF closing in, I wouldn't stick around for too long.

Return home, get my pals together, arm ourselves to the teeth, and hike back in the next day to see what (if anything) is left.  We would be going for capitation of teh 'de' kind at that point.

One problem with returning, how are you going to access the National Park when it is closed? 

There is only one reasonable thing to do...cut the baby out. This solves the problem of recovering an intact cadaver, but eliminates the logistical problems that would be present in attempting to transport the larger body. I am guessing that this is what you were going after when you added that she was pregnant. I can understand that many people would be appalled at my suggestion, but I am dead serious, no pun intended.

I like the level of thinking here, I actually added the fetus to complicate the shooting. 

My answer is probably different. It's based on my experience, my assumptions, my character, my values.

Whoops and screams?

I would have to make a decision between trying to attract their attention, but maybe driving them off, vs just sitting quietly for their arrival. I would pay my respects to the dead. I would probably tune up the guitar and play a while. If I was guilty of causing the death, accidentally or not, then I have a price to pay ... it's called justice. Fleeing isn't part of my makeup. Neither is defiling a corpse by chopping pieces off. I wouldn't tolerated it done to someone I love and I won't do it to someone someone else loves. That's not negotiable. Picture ... that would depend on the "vibe" o the moment. It's hard to say.

If possible, I'd like to travel with the others after they recover the body to see what they do. It would be a chance to confirm, for myself, stories about burial rituals. To me that is more valuable than evidence of existence. It would be a chance to participate and understand culture if it exists, also to me more valuable than evidence of existence.

The main thing is to behave consistently with my ethics. Ethics don't consider cost and they don't consider gain, if they do, those ethics are for sale.

MIB

Edit:

I forgot to ask a question .. what country are you from? In the US, there's no general ban on firearms in the national forest. Most are open for hunting, plinking, etc except in a few designated safety zones so-designated because of the presence of homes within the forest, campgrounds, etc. Even our National Parks are mostly open to firearms now because of a change in the law a couple years ago.

I don't know that there is anywhere in the continental US you can get 175 miles from a cell tower. It's getting hard to find places where there isn't a signal in some direction within 50 miles.

MIB

Edited by MIB

@BadVooDoo, well, I would, simply put, just go.

Get caught?  Play dumb.  We're talking about the biological discovery of the century here, y'know?   Risk vs. Reward needs to be considered.

MIB - In my mind, the means would justify the ends on finger/toe removal.  Besides, if they've got no scruples separating me from my appendages, I'm OK with taking a finger or two here or there...

I most CERTAINLY would not hang around.  Have you seen what grieving folks do to the guilty by association?  It can be quite disturbing.

One problem with returning, how are you going to access the National Park when it is closed? 

I like the level of thinking here, I actually added the fetus to complicate the shooting. 

Your OP said Federal Land or National Park which are not the same thing.  Even if it were a closed NP, a few horses can get you just about anywhere you want to go - no roads are needed.  And firearms are legal on Federal Lands - nearly 70% of Idaho is federal and there are guns all over.  

As soon as I saw the change I immediately thought to cut out the fetus and high tail it out of there..

.EDIT = MIB, there are no places in US I am aware of that are 175 miles from cell towers, but there are definitely places that you are multiple days away from coverage. 

Edited by Nod4Eight

The Federal Land / National Park is generalized to mean, any country that has a federal land / National Park. Not just the US has parks or land protected by governments. The point in the scenario is placing you on non-private land under some federal / government laws and keeping this as generic as possible. If the scenario mentioned no firearms allowed, then none are allowed on the land in the scenario. 

The cell-phone tower is once again a generic statement, giving the scenario a sense of distance between you and civilization. Trapped on an island.

The moral, legal and ethics are being tested and questioned on how you, given this exact scenario would prove the existence. 

Lets face it, someone will end up in a situation like this and I want to get some more info on how most BF hunters would or would not do to get evidence. 

If we can keep this scenario in the generic, it will be exciting to see some answers. 

I would have to make a decision between trying to attract their attention, but maybe driving them off, vs just sitting quietly for their arrival. I would pay my respects to the dead. I would probably tune up the guitar and play a while. If I was guilty of causing the death, accidentally or not, then I have a price to pay ... it's called justice. Fleeing isn't part of my makeup. Neither is defiling a corpse by chopping pieces off. I wouldn't tolerated it done to someone I love and I won't do it to someone someone else loves. That's not negotiable. Picture ... that would depend on the "vibe" o the moment. It's hard to say.

If possible, I'd like to travel with the others after they recover the body to see what they do. It would be a chance to confirm, for myself, stories about burial rituals. To me that is more valuable than evidence of existence. It would be a chance to participate and understand culture if it exists, also to me more valuable than evidence of existence.

This is a great response, forget the body, go for culture.  Are the risks worth the reward? 

For me, the answer is yes, and it's not even close.   Absolutely, positively, ... etc. 

Proof of existence ... don't care.  I'd like to be able to at least experience / observe culture ... if it's there.  This would be important to someone very important to me.   If I could go so far as to document culture ... that might interest me a very great deal.  What I'd do with the documentation depends on what, precisely, the culture is.

I'm going to go on a tangent a little bit.  Search for bigfoot, find yourself.   This interest of ours is a mirror.   It shows us who we are, what matters to us, what we believe ... if we dare look in the mirror.   This pursuit pushes me to look inward and think about what I really care about.   I fear what we might do if we had proof without having understanding.  I'm not so optimistic about human nature I guess.

MIB

Edited by MIB

The risks would be worth the reward......doing the RIGHT thing is always the best thing. MIB had a great response and jarred me off of my initial thought that I would skedaddle as quickly and quietly as possible. If I could control my nerves/fear enough to hang around to pay respect, I think I would. But knowing myself, with a storm approaching and an unhappy group of family members on the way.....paying respect would probably be brief and include some tears. And if I thought I was responsible? Then all bets would be off. The group would probably find me sitting over the corpse crying uncontrollably. It would never occur to me to cut off appendages or cut out a fetus. I just don't need that kind of proof and don't feel that obligated to provide it for anyone else. And whether anyone understands that or not....I don't care. That is me and everyone would have to handle it according to who they are and what they could live with.....

No right or wrong answer here, right? If we maintain that attitude......it should be really interesting to see responses. Intriguing scenario at the very least.....

...and I have to add that, given that I'm not sprinting out of there because I know how effective that would be, something like MIB's response is what the 'clan' would get from me.

I'm not so sure that my society deserves to know more, given behavior so far.  Some of them, yes, and I might tell them.