Scenario...what Would You Do, If You Have Discovered A Body?

Well, I suppose it depends on what the end-goal of the individual is as well and what good they think can come of proving this creature's existence.

When I take to the woods, I'm not looking for proof for the world, I'm looking to observe one.

With that said, if a body presented itself, I sure as heck would grab body parts.

Cutting a fetus out, that's a little too time consuming (and messy) if you've got a clan of these suckers bearing down on you.

I guarantee you - cutting out a fetus would be less time consuming than cutting off a finger or other appendage with a pocket knife.  As far as messy - that may bother some, but not me.

And I get to add:  Science, right down there's the guy you want on the scene if you're gonna sit around and do nothing.

So, you are suggesting that if in possession of a body, that Meldrum sit around and do nothing?

I gave a very short version in my first post.  But here is what I would do in more detail.  I would snap a few quick photos, then I would get to work on the body.  I would first remove the fetus, then cut off a few other items - fingers, toes, whatever was easy to get to.  If I was not immediately threatened by the approaching family, I would take some more photos - trying to establish size.  Then I would head back to my truck, dump the food out and put the fingers/toes and fetus in the cooler, and I would place the cooler in the cab with me. 

Since I live in Idaho, I would drive straight to Pocatello and the ISU campus and barge in on Meldrum doing whatever he's doing.  I picture it in my head to look like when Gates busts into Dr Sloane's lecture hall on Last of the Dogmen.  I'm not super concerned with garnering money and fame for it.  I figure I'll get more of both than I've had before and one of them I don't want to begin with.  To me, solving the mystery is more important than that. 

By the next day I would be horseback into the area with more scientists etc to try to recover the rest of the female's body. 

I'm sorry, I must have missed your first post. You take the evidence to Dr. M and others. However in the scenario, the Park / Land access is now closed until spring. (keeping this generic as no access until next year, this is done to place the person in a time crunch). If I may ask, would you be concerned with any legal issues or any charges that may arise? If you were asked by Dr. M how you obtained these items, what would you tell him? 

I guarantee you - cutting out a fetus would be less time consuming than cutting off a finger or other appendage with a pocket knife.  As far as messy - that may bother some, but not me.

So, you are suggesting that if in possession of a body, that Meldrum sit around and do nothing?

No, I am saying, in so many words, that Meldrum better hope you find that body.

You dealt with Meldrum just the right way, far's I'm concerned.

Edited by DWA

Guest Stan Norton

Stan, if you could provide a course of action to the scenario would be great. I am working on a project and would like fellow BF people to come up with replies on how they would handle this, being serious of course. I do not know who Dmaker is, could you elaborate?

Sorry man, I was being silly and couldn't resist a dig at our most adversarial 'sceptic'. I will post a serious response in due course...

I'm sorry, I must have missed your first post. You take the evidence to Dr. M and others. However in the scenario, the Park / Land access is now closed until spring. (keeping this generic as no access until next year, this is done to place the person in a time crunch). If I may ask, would you be concerned with any legal issues or any charges that may arise? If you were asked by Dr. M how you obtained these items, what would you tell him? 

I would be honest in whatever questions I answered, but I say this coming from my experiences where guns are legal on public land.  I know you want it to remain generic, but I'm not going to interject myself into circumstances I would not find myself in.  I also answered in my first response that even if it's closed - it is still accessible with a few good horses/mules.  Besides that fact, I am fairly sure there are ways to get around that if you (or people of influence) are in position of the fetus of an un-identified North American primate and need access to the land for further research.  

I would be honest in whatever questions I answered, but I say this coming from my experiences where guns are legal on public land.  I know you want it to remain generic, but I'm not going to interject myself into circumstances I would not find myself in.  I also answered in my first response that even if it's closed - it is still accessible with a few good horses/mules.  Besides that fact, I am fairly sure there are ways to get around that if you (or people of influence) are in position of the fetus of an un-identified North American primate and need access to the land for further research.  

Thanks Nod I appreciate the answer. In the scenario the land is not open to anything it is now closed. Regardless of horses, HALO jumps, rockets and politics.  I am trying to avoid hypothetical answers to force the individual into making a decision of what they are taking due to time restraints.  

Thanks Nod I appreciate the answer. In the scenario the land is not open to anything it is now closed. Regardless of horses, HALO jumps, rockets and politics.  I am trying to avoid hypothetical answers to force the individual into making a decision of what they are taking due to time restraints.  

Fair enough, although unrealistic imo.  If I knew there was no way to ever get back in there until spring (when the body would most likely be gone) then I would turn the fetus over to Meldrum, turn one of the digits over to Sykes and store the rest myself in case the first two options turned up dead ends.  I'm not a scientist, I am not qualified to introduce this thing to the world.  I'm the redneck in the woods plunking my 9mm off and accidentally killing a BF.  My exit strategy would not change given the restrictions you put into place - only how much I would turn over at one time.

Fair enough, although unrealistic imo.  If I knew there was no way to ever get back in there until spring (when the body would most likely be gone) then I would turn the fetus over to Meldrum, turn one of the digits over to Sykes and store the rest myself in case the first two options turned up dead ends.  I'm not a scientist, I am not qualified to introduce this thing to the world.  I'm the redneck in the woods plunking my 9mm off and accidentally killing a BF.  My exit strategy would not change given the restrictions you put into place - only how much I would turn over at one time.

OK, this is good. Thanks :)

Thanks Cotter, if I may ask, what parts of the body and why these certain parts?

Toes and fingers - easy to keep in your pocket and pretty (should be) unmistakable body part (meaning you should be able to eliminate known human and ape species with just a glance if you know what you are looking at).

If given enough time, I may go for the head, but that's a bit extreme.

@Nod - I dunno, I suppose you could gut it pretty quick to get to a fetus, but a quick back bend of either a toe or finger, and well placed knife through the joint should pop em off toot-sweet.  Kind of like separating chicken legs.  Also, depending on how decomposed the body is, you may not want to open up that pandora's box of bacteria.

there is no perfect answer. I wanted to clarify, are you saying you would leave it all there? Pictures, hairs?

I would leave it all there. Sorry I wasn't clear. Don't know about a picture though I am inclined to think that it probably wouldn't occur to me .....so probably not. No hairs. I wouldn't see the purpose.....

Toes and fingers - easy to keep in your pocket and pretty (should be) unmistakable body part (meaning you should be able to eliminate known human and ape species with just a glance if you know what you are looking at).

If given enough time, I may go for the head, but that's a bit extreme.

Sounds good, would you contact the media or a group? If so, what media or group?

Probably start with Dr. Meldrum with digit #1.  He'd know the key players to get this in the hands of.

I would also PM a few members here to determine what to do with digit #2.

Digits #3 through however many I take would be divided and stored in various locations.

I would NOT take it to any State or Federal agency, not a chance.

Probably start with Dr. Meldrum with digit #1.  He'd know the key players to get this in the hands of.

Digits #3 through however many I take would be divided and stored in various locations.

You have touched an area I was trying to hint at during the scenario and this is a governing body / group. A few more questions if I may. You would not take it to a State or Federal agency, why not? Also, would any media be called, if so who or why not?

This book

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Sasquatch-Series/dp/0912365544/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1378759887&sr=8-4&keywords=field+guide+to+the+sasquatch

recommends just that.  (It includes local/municipal etc.  police etc.  Same thing.)

I own this book.  It is a fun read that has interesting stuff in it; I'd tell anyone wanting a quickie intro to buy it.

Just DON'T take that one piece of advice.  Mainstream society is why we haven't resolved this yet.

Alley says the same in Raincoast Sasquatch:  don't tell them or anyone else who isn't really interested.

I am certain people are wondering why this scenario and me asking further questions.  I am putting a poll together and I wanted to get as many outcomes and reasons as possible. The scenario is built around restraints; time, communication, access, carrying capacity, useful items, laws, morals and ethics. Once I am done, or start to see repetition and no variance. I will then start to put the poll together. You are basically my sampling group. 

If you could, please reply with more than one sentence. I want to know more of, how some people think in a situation. Especially with a sensitive topic and how they would handle the evidence and what evidence if any would they take. To what extent someone would go though to get the evidence. Would they knowingly commit a crime after the discovery?