Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

It would seem that if a mockingbird is sitting in the same tree, singing all night, it would be easy to get a "simple picture or video", or some other "modicum of evidence". Did anybody actually see it, or did they just assume that if it sounds like a mockingbird, it has to be one?

I'm not convinced. I need proof. :spiteful:

It could be a bigfoot in that tree! :rolleyes:

Actually OZ and Incorrigible both are right . Oz has never heard them late at night camping and incorrigible links googles for mockingbirds all night . I have heard mockingbirds sing all night , BUT if you look further incorrigible you will see that the behavior of singing all night will have to do with the bird roosting near a street light or security light that is on all night. This is the only time I have ever heard mockingbirds at night and they will sing all night if near a security light.

the neandertal language made me laugh I have used a sound exactly like that but at a lower tone to call buck deer within shooting range. I make it by sucking air in and vibrating my vocal cords

Ummm it's pretty much all self taught guesswork after (and partially during) a Bachelors degree.... oh and the internet tends to get heavily used for that, though more for accessing research paper databases.

The guesswork is for practical implementation of your education. It's not the basis of your education.

Actually OZ and Incorrigible both are right . Oz has never heard them late at night camping and incorrigible links googles for mockingbirds all night . I have heard mockingbirds sing all night , BUT if you look further incorrigible you will see that the behavior of singing all night will have to do with the bird roosting near a street light or security light that is on all night. This is the only time I have ever heard mockingbirds at night and they will sing all night if near a security light.

From the 3rd link:

Just curious if anyone knows the answer? There has been one singing out in my oak tree for the last few weeks every night, all night, non-stop. And there is not a nearby light{I have noticed some will sing near a light}He goes through many many different sounds.

I'll say this Rogue, if you think a Lynx can make the same quantal vowels that humans make , there is a solid research paper in that, as it is debated that even Neanderthals may not have had that simple ability.

So this tells me that Bigfoot may not even be capable of making the sounds that people are claiming.

Well it looks to be a rather simple thing to ideintify vowels in sounds (something we do everyday).  So either we have mammmals defying what science says, or there is a hominin lurking out there. This brings us back to putting your finger on the human quality of a sound, and how that is relavant to the persuit of an elusive great ape described to be bipedal, and flat faced (diminished prognathism), which forces the tongue back in the oral cavity and a descended position of the Larynx thus enabling the production of quantal vowels. 

^There's a lot of descriptions out there.

If Bigfoot is a primitive Hominin or Hominid like some have suggested then it's probably not even capable of making any of these noises.

My vote is for the mammals.

Edited by roguefooter

The fact that the mockers are singing in darkness in a rural area and getting the song completely wrong leads me to believe something else is making the sounds. I will admit I have a 10% chance I could be wrong. If there was a bright light in the area where the bird is and the bird is an immature male who hasn't got it's song right yet. I am an expert birder and have been one for 25 years. I give public bird walks every year with emphasis on IDing by song. I also have been participating in the North America Breeding Bird Survey for 30 years. 90% of the survey is done by ear. I know my birds

roguefooter, on 15 Oct 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

My vote is for the mammals.

Bigfoot would be a mammal too, but in the hominin family making sounds like what has been recorded.

From the 3rd link:

Just curious if anyone knows the answer? There has been one singing out in my oak tree for the last few weeks every night, all night, non-stop. And there is not a nearby light{I have noticed some will sing near a light}He goes through many many different sounds.

Does it seem reasonable and rational that the "witness" was kept awake  "every night, all night, non-stop for the last few weeks" by a mockingbird "singing out in my oak tree"? If true, they both must have been worn out by the ordeal. The other possibility is that two birds may have been involved; a mockingbird in the oak tree and one of the American Cuckoos in the bedroom. Just my opinion; your mileage may vary. 

Guest Urkelbot

What is more likely a mocking bird calling at night or Bigfoot mimicking a mockingbird?

This is probably the only place where people's answer is Bigfoot.

What is more likely a mocking bird calling at night or Bigfoot mimicking a mockingbird?

This is probably the only place where people's answer is Bigfoot.

It is not just a mocker calling at night, it is coupled with a mocker who is singing wrong.

So this tells me that Bigfoot may not even be capable of making the sounds that people are claiming.

I'll probably regret asking this, but ok... why is that?