Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

The Lynx seems like it only makes these calls when it is face to face with another, so where's the second subject in the MRP ahhh screams? Was it doing the whoops? Do Lynx do whoops?  No?

There is an unknown second subject in the audio making the whoops which could be a Bigfoot- who knows? That subject was never in question- this was all about the claim of a potential "great ape" mimicking a known animal.

Calling a human sound a Lynx is probably worse than any wishful thinking I'm guilty of. I knew you wouldn't try to check my points of analysis, because you know what the results would be, and would dodge it by calling into question of my qualifications. Seen it too many times.

Contrary to belief we are not experts here and can't even pretend to be. We can't just download forensic software and expect our uneducated analysis to be correct or scientifically accurate. That's not dodging- that's reality. If you want to believe otherwise then have at it, but don't knock others for not giving in to the charade.

I know that the field wants to be on the level with science, but it's not going to get there with mock science.

Edited by roguefooter

I consider myself an expert at knowing the sounds of nature. At least in the eastern US. Sasfooty's frog does not sound right at all. In the bird frog audio, the frog is perfect, if it is an imitation it is perfect. The bird however is a poor imitation of a mockingbird. I have never heard a mockingbird at night and only the first whistle was done correctly. Southern yahoos owls were two barred owls either mating or two males confronting each other, mostly likely the former. Sasfooty's fake owl, It didn't sound like an owl to me, it was trying to do a great horned owl, but was very poorly done. The ahh recordings, I have no idea what that was. The whoops I have never heard before either, but I know that only primates whoop. The ahh type sounds I have heard were much deeper. The only other sound that I have heard that I believe was a BF was a very loud screech which then turned into a cooing. I think perhaps the cooing part had infrasound in it as the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up and I would experience fear, even after I had heard this thing many times over several years.

http://www.ask.com/question/why-do-mockingbirds-sing-at-night

"Mockingbirds sing at night for a couple of reasons. One is to communicate with other birds of their species. The other purpose of singing throughout the night is for the male bird to make it appear as if a certain territory is already overpopulated with mockingbirds, because the songs appear to come from several birds and not just one. The keeps rivals away."

Mockingbirds are notorious for singing thru the night.

• Upvote 1

I have camped many many times around multiple mockers. They don't sing through the night, they start around 5am -5:30am when most other birds start singing. It is still dark then, but that is not all night. And as I said, the song was not done properly. They will imitate another bird and do it at least 3 times in a row real fast and then switch to another species. It did the first one right but then it did single calls of the same bird. They just don't do that.

I have camped many many times around multiple mockers. They don't sing through the night, they start around 5am -5:30am when most other birds start singing. It is still dark then, but that is not all night. And as I said, the song was not done properly. They will imitate another bird and do it at least 3 times in a row real fast and then switch to another species. It did the first one right but then it did single calls of the same bird. They just don't do that.

Exactly OHZ. This bird does not nest in densely forested areas. I have never heard one, day or night, in areas that are typical habitat for BF. There are dozens on and around my property, and during the summer months we occasionally hear one of them singing at night for several minutes. Very seldom does the singing of one cause another to sing. 

I'm sure most folks with field experience knows this, but for those that don't:

In large, heavily forested areas, it is usually ravens that people hear, rather than crows. The reason I mention it is that ravens themselves can and do mimic the sound of some birds and animals. People I have known  who raised "crows" and trained them to talk were dealing with ravens. (Crows can and do make some weird sounds at times. I have never heard them mimic other birds or animals, but it could be possible I guess.)

Many times, and hour of so before black dark, in an area of the mountains where some BF are known to live, a small group of ravens -it sounds like only three or four - will start "alarm calling" and moving as if watching the subject of their alarm. The ravens will quit called before dark. If later on, one or more BF approached my camp site, they came in from the direction of raven calls. I have heard single or double raven calls at night in the areas, but can't say they were made by BF.

(Crow and raven calls sounds are so similar that I and most folks can't tell them apart most of the time.) 

Hello All,

Ran across this:

http://sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.com/

It might be helpful ;)

Monongahela is doing good work with the sound recordings.  ;)

There is an unknown second subject in the audio making the whoops which could be a Bigfoot- who knows? That subject was never in question- this was all about the claim of a potential "great ape" mimicking a known animal.

Contrary to belief we are not experts here and can't even pretend to be. We can't just download forensic software and expect our uneducated analysis to be correct or scientifically accurate. That's not dodging- that's reality. If you want to believe otherwise then have at it, but don't knock others for not giving in to the charade.

I know that the field wants to be on the level with science, but it's not going to get there with mock science.

It's not mocking science to follow what science says and apply it to the evidence. You'll find this on any path to legitimacy and becoming an expert. 

• Upvote 1

I realize if I stated "Up is up, and down is down," some would dispute that. But a quick perusal of Google reveals these tidbits:

Help! Mockingbird singing at night all night long. What can I do to stop it?

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/singing-at-night.html#sthash.vjXOfX4b.dpbs

Hardly a spring goes by without someone asking me what to do about the mockingbird that sings outside a bedroom window all night long.

http://texasnature.blogspot.com/2003/02/wonders-of-nature-mockingbirds-song.html

Just curious if anyone knows the answer? There has been one singing out in my oak tree for the last few weeks every night, all night, non-stop.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/why-do-mockingbirds-sing-at-night.106952/

First and foremost, why is this mockingbird singing all night long and When will it go away?

http://10000birds.com/more-about-mockingbirds.htm

I could go on, but think I'll bow out of the northern mockingbird discussion at this time.

Edited by Incorrigible1

Well, there you go: you've just proven it. Those aren't mocking birds!

Bigfoot IS everywhere and doing ALL of it. [/thread concluded] :thankyou:

It's not mocking science to follow what science says and apply it to the evidence. You'll find this on any path to legitimacy and becoming an expert. 

I said "mock science" as in an imitation, not "mocking science". Presenting it as being a real scientific conclusion when it's clearly not is mock science.

The path to legitimacy and becoming an expert is following established scientific protocol, certification, and accredited training. Self-taught guesswork via the internet may be a nod to science, but it's not the path to establishing anything legitimate.

I realize if I stated "Up is up, and down is down," some would dispute that. But a quick perusal of Google reveals these tidbits:

Help! Mockingbird singing at night all night long. What can I do to stop it?

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/singing-at-night.html#sthash.vjXOfX4b.dpbs

Hardly a spring goes by without someone asking me what to do about the mockingbird that sings outside a bedroom window all night long.

http://texasnature.blogspot.com/2003/02/wonders-of-nature-mockingbirds-song.html

Just curious if anyone knows the answer? There has been one singing out in my oak tree for the last few weeks every night, all night, non-stop.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/why-do-mockingbirds-sing-at-night.106952/

First and foremost, why is this mockingbird singing all night long and When will it go away?

http://10000birds.com/more-about-mockingbirds.htm

I could go on, but think I'll bow out of the northern mockingbird discussion at this time.

Much ado about nothing, going on here. Incorrigible is provided entertaining but second-hand stories from unnamed sources who claimed they were kept awake ALL NIGHT by Mockingbirds, but no proof. It is up to the readers to conclude whether or not those mockingbirds slept during the day - the only time they could find food - or if they persisted in singing all night until they fell over dead from malnutrition. Of course, your mileage may vary. 

• Upvote 2

"Self-taught guesswork via the internet may be a nod to science, but it's not the path to establishing anything legitimate."

Well said! Field work is the key.

The other purpose of singing throughout the night is for the male bird to make it appear as if a certain territory is already overpopulated with mockingbirds, because the songs appear to come from several birds and not just one. The keeps rivals away."

Makes one wonder though if imitating predator calls could be a method of making the territory seem claimed. "Plenty of coyotes over here, don't need no more coyotes..."

. Self-taught guesswork via the internet may be a nod to science, but it's not the path to establishing anything legitimate.

Ummm it's pretty much all self taught guesswork after (and partially during) a Bachelors degree.... oh and the internet tends to get heavily used for that, though more for accessing research paper databases.

I said "mock science" as in an imitation, not "mocking science". Presenting it as being a real scientific conclusion when it's clearly not is mock science.

The path to legitimacy and becoming an expert is following established scientific protocol, certification, and accredited training. Self-taught guesswork via the internet may be a nod to science, but it's not the path to establishing anything legitimate.

I'll say this Rogue, if you think a Lynx can make the same quantal vowels that humans make , there is a solid research paper in that, as it is debated that even Neanderthals may not have had that simple ability.

http://www.fau.edu/explore/homepage-stories/2008-04speaks.php

Using 50,000-year-old fossils from France and a computer synthesizer, McCarthy’s team has generated a recording of how a Neanderthal would pronounce the letter “e.† (Click here to listen to McCarthy's simulation of a Neanderthal voice.) The brief recording doesn’t sound like any letter in modern languages, but McCarthy says that’s because Neanderthals lacked the “quantal vowels†modern humans use. Quantal vowels provide cues that help speakers with different size vocal tracts understand one another.

“They would have spoken a bit differently,†McCarthy said at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists in Columbus, Ohio in April. “They wouldn't have been able to produce these quantal vowels that form the basis of spoken language.â€

Though quantal vowels make subtle differences in speech, their absence would have limited Neanderthal speech.  For example, Neanderthals would not be able to distinguish between the words ‘beat’ and ‘bit.’

Bottom line is if you hear these quantal vowels in a mammalian vocalization the odds you are hearing a human or hominin go up considerably.

Edit to add mammalian.   B)

Edited by southernyahoo
  • Upvote 2