Do Bf's Mimic Sounds Other Animals Make?

Guest jsbelljr83

Sure would like for the resident skeptics and animal sounds experts to listen to the "The Clipper Mills" video that's posted on Coleman's web site and tell us  what they think made those sounds.

Edited by WV FOOTER
edit objectionable material

You'd find the credentialed folks whom would have authority to be working in the field of Phonetics or Anthropologists who teach on the evolution of the human/ hominin vocal tract.

That doesn't tell me how you are able to analyze and make these determinations. Are you one of the credentialed?

Your opinion on the Lynx actually counters probably 90% of the people who posted on BFF 1.0 four years ago. Skeptics , Skeptical proponents, believers were all of the opinion they were either human, ape or some fabrication using manipulated animal calls like birds. I don't recall anyone pushing the idea that the researchers simply recorded a Lynx. Remember there are many other calls at close range that are not like cat calls at all. One species that could explain them all is a robust hominin.

So should I just follow the crowd? Change my ideas because 90% of people on this Bigfoot forum believed otherwise? How do you even know if the people in this field are coming to the right conclusions? 

Remember there are many other calls at close range that are not like cat calls at all.

At what point did I say they were all cat calls? I specified only the one sound file. There are likely more, but at no point did I even imply that they were all cat calls.

The Lynx can't do that. 

How are you coming to this conclusion?

Edited by WV FOOTER
Edit objectionable content

^Also the one sound file I was referring to on the MRP site, I'm only referring to the subject making the AAAHHH sounds as being a Lynx, not the subject making the whoops in the beginning.

That doesn't tell me how you are able to analyze and make these determinations. Are you one of the credentialed?

So should I just follow the crowd? Change my ideas because 90% of people on this Bigfoot forum believed otherwise? How do you even know if the people in this field are coming to the right conclusions? 

At what point did I say they were all cat calls? I specified only the one sound file. There are likely more, but at no point did I even imply that they were all cat calls.

How are you coming to this conclusion?

I pointed you to who has the Credentials, funny how this comes up when all you need is time in the woods and a sound library.

The crowd can usually get things right or (in the ball park) of being right. You know that crowd that thinks Toe Jam was using human sounds to hoax with?

You should spend more time reviewing the documentation of the MRP sounds. Some of the audio is uncut files that have both the ahhh screamer and the whooper at close range and vocalizing within seconds of each other.  What was the Lynx trying to tangle with?

The Lynx can't make all the sounds in the MRP recordings, thats why you want to focus on the ahhhh screams. 

Edited by WV FOOTER
edit objectionable content

I pointed you to who has the Credentials

You haven't pointed me to anybody credentialed or qualified who's involved with these spectrographs.

Are you qualified to analyze a spectrograph? What is the scientific protocol to follow? How were these conclusions reached?

funny how this comes up when all you need is time in the woods and a sound library.

This came up because you brought the spectrograms into the discussion. It wasn't my doing.

The Lynx can't make all the sounds in the MRP recordings, thats why you want to focus on the ahhhh screams. 

No, I've only focused on that file because that is the one you wanted to focus on-

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/42143-do-bfs-mimic-sounds-other-animals-make/page-7#entry776380

There are at least two subjects in that audio clip. How exactly did you conclude that the Lynx can't make all the sounds associated with that specific subject?

Edited by WV FOOTER
edit removed content.

It got quiet because nobody is interested in the trolling and straw man arguments.

I think it got quiet because you don't care to give your opinion about what made the sound. Your have been very prolific at giving your interpretations of sounds others have mentioned. You got replies to the lynx sounds you posted and tried to convince yourself and others that those sounds had been mistaken by "Footers" as having come from Bigfoot. So, I'm asking you again to offer YOUR opinion as to what animal made the sounds I linked. Leave the cable unhooked; just want to hear your opinion,

• Upvote 2

You haven't pointed me to anybody credentialed or qualified who's involved with these spectrographs.

Are you qualified to analyze a spectrograph? What is the scientific protocol to follow? How were these conclusions reached?

This came up because you brought the spectrograms into the discussion. It wasn't my doing.

No, I've only focused on that file because that is the one you wanted to focus on-

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/42143-do-bfs-mimic-sounds-other-animals-make/page-7#entry776380

There are at least two subjects in that audio clip. How exactly did you conclude that the Lynx can't make all the sounds associated with that specific subject?

It got quiet because nobody is interested in your trolling and rancor.

There are probably thousands of people qualified to verify a vowel quality in a sound using a spectrogram.  This would be one.http://www.cog.brown.edu/people_lieberman_personal.htm

It's a basic tool to visualize the resonances in a sound, where measurements can be taken. I'm self taught using information on line. It's up to you if you want to dismiss it , but you should try and verify my observations instead of using hand waving and opinion. Which I'm sure is your next point of argument..

I've already posted the information from the professional linked above on how to do it, But it seems you haven't read any of it, or attempted to understand it. There is terminology to become acquainted with as well as practice in identifying the elements of sounds the terms refer to in the spectrogram.

Here's a tutorial.

In part , the same way you've arrived at the conclusion it is a Lynx. I hear a hominin which not only achieves a salient vowel /a/ but also has the breath control to maintain a steady vocal over several seconds. The absence of any other cat sounds is also informative, particularly the growling that precedes the scream in the Lynx recordings.. The voice cracking is also so much like a human and unlike a cat that I almost can't believe I have to explain it to you.

• Upvote 1

^Self-taught using information online doesn't qualify anybody to suddenly become a spectrograph analyst, so asking me to "verify" it is just as pointless. In our hands it's just another wishful thinking tool.

Comparing a single vowel from two audio files isn't going to determine anything. Not only do we not have the full range of a Lynx, but every single subject is different in tonality.

The absence of any other cat sounds is also informative, particularly the growling that precedes the scream in the Lynx recordings..

You're assuming that they're the same kind of calls and situation. The growling is probably because you have two cats face to face- they tend to do that.

The voice cracking is also so much like a human and unlike a cat that I almost can't believe I have to explain it to you.

Listen to how human they sound in this video. I'd be willing to bet that most people hearing only the audio would think these were human females wailing like zombies.

Edited by roguefooter

Listen to how human they sound in this video. I'd be willing to bet that most people hearing only the audio would think these were human females wailing like zombies.

When did we establish what a zombie *sounds like* ?

Edited by GuyInIndiana

Comparing a single vowel from two audio files isn't going to determine anything. Not only do we not have the full range of a Lynx, but every single subject is different in tonality.

You're assuming that they're the same kind of calls and situation. The growling is probably because you have two cats face to face- they tend to do that.

Actually the vocal tract of a Lynx is fairly fixed, I hear the same sound over and over and definitely hear a different vowel from an ahhhh. It's more like ehhhhhh.

The Lynx seems like it only makes these calls when it is face to face with another, so where's the second subject in the MRP ahhh screams? Was it doing the whoops? Do Lynx do whoops?  No?

^Self-taught using information online doesn't qualify anybody to suddenly become a spectrograph analyst, so asking me to "verify" it is just as pointless. In our hands it's just another wishful thinking tool.

Calling a human sound a Lynx is probably worse than any wishful thinking I'm guilty of. I knew you wouldn't try to check my points of analysis, because you know what the results would be, and would dodge it by calling into question of my qualifications. Seen it too many times.

I think we're done on the ahhh screams.

Staff Statement: There has been a lot of trolling going on in this thread. We have handled several reports already and I sincerely hope this will mark the end of it! This includes quoting a post that contains trolling and/or antisocial behavior. If someone is trolling, REPORT them, do NOT respond to them in any way or you will be penalized as well. Thank you all for your anticipated cooperation.

It sounds like CATS; house cats, bobcats, cougar, ocelots, etc.