Wildlife Refuges, Preserves, State Parks, National Parks, Greenways And Trails

Guest lightheart

BFF Patron

I think there may be something to where this thread is going. Part of my research has been using an airplane to conduct habitat searches and hope that I just happen upon a BF in some remote area out in the open. For those that are not familiar with Skamania County Washington it has more federal forest land than private land. About 80% of the county is federal forest. Vast tracks of federal forest with a few forest roads through them. But in those federal forest lands are several wilderness areas. I have to avoid low overflight of the wilderness areas by federal law. There are no roads of any kind through the wilderness areas. Looking at the wilderness areas from the air they are quite unremarkable, while areas nearby that are not protected, look far more interesting. Most of the interesting scenery and rock formations, and waterfalls are not in wilderness areas. Why not? That makes me wonder what is special about the wilderness areas when there are vast tracts of unbroken by road or trail forest land all around them. I have wondered if they are unofficial BF sanctuaries and that is their primary purpose. Side note: Skamania county has a law against shooting Bigfoot. One of the only ones in the country.

Airplane searches may play a bigger part in sasquatch research further down the line. Having tried just about everything, I think scoping the land via air might prove successful in covering ground (more chance of encountering a sasquatch or discovering a sasquatch carcass).

I don't see any connection so far as Oregon goes.   We have a vast amount of federal wilderness (I'm talking legal definition, not intuitive definition).    The only land I'm aware of that is closed to the public are a couple of municipal watersheds ... for what should be obvious reasons ... and private land.   There are chunks of land closed to the public seasonally but only with regard to active wildfires and logging operations where protesters create a problem.   Those areas are closed for a season or two, then re-open.

It might be different in other areas where human population, open country, etc limit where they're willing to be.   Here ... it's one big dang haystack with room for any number of needles to go undetected.  

MIB

Thanks Branco.

As far as the Federally designated wilderness areas, they were designed to keep (or in a few cases - return) pristine areas pristine.  These are all on public lands - of which many western states have a majority of.  Utah, Nevada and Idaho for instance are all above 70% public land.  It takes an act of Congress (literally) to create legal wilderness - I do not think there is a conspiracy to make this a BF preserve.  While certain activities (any motorized activity, bicycling, certain hunting/fishing methods) are not allowed in wilderness areas, they are only shut down for safety concerns such as wildfires etc unless there is a secondary purpose such as waterfowl nesting habitat (which would then most likely be managed by USFWS rather than NWPS.)

Guest zenmonkey

Sometimes I really think some areas are set aside for the BF on the down low.. Some of the Wildlife Management and Refuge areas are in BF hot spots and some have zero or nearly zero hunting allowed most of the time.

Or do you think that is why the apes reside there in the first place, lack of human activity?

Or do you think that is why the apes reside there in the first place, lack of human activity?

Yes and Yes both really it's just the only diffeence is whether they know about them and I would think they do.. the habitat has everything they need and limited human presense so it is more attractive I am shure as well as sometimes those protected areas are the largest patch of forest around too but interconnected to other viable places as well meaning they could retreat to the protected area everyday to sleep safely but forage beyond the protected areas as needed.

LOL I meant to type conserved.! Gees

Haha! I hope the conserved lands stay that way also. Too much growth in our state as it is. Cannot replace the water faster than we are pulling it out of the ground now.

I asked a DNR officer in North West GA if they ever receive any BF reports in a certain Wildlife Management Area. His response was "We get 10 or 15 a year along with black panthers, but people report seeing little green men also."

The Wildlife Management Area now charges by permit to enter the area. I think you can get one for a few days or for a year. So far I can't convince myself to buy a permit to enter a wildlife area I have enjoyed for free all these years.