Wildlife Refuges, Preserves, State Parks, National Parks, Greenways And Trails

Guest lightheart

And then what does one make of this?

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=36218

"They found a ranger station and excitedly related the story. The rangers asked if they had a gun in the car and RK answered yes (he had a permit). The rangers asked if they shot at it and they said no. The rangers stressed the point that it was a crime to shoot at any animals in the park. They did take a few notes and said yes, they were aware of the creature, and this was just one of hundreds of reports they get. They told them the Florida name for the creature, the Skunk Ape."

They volunteered the information just from the description the witness gave.  They took notes.

Hmmmmm...

They are 4 reports on the BFRO coming from that Management Area so it makes one wonder.

My experience is the DNR don't give much credence to BF reports, I did have a guy advise he reported a black panther sighting to DNR and was told shooting one was illegal and punishment by fine and jail time, but was then told there was no such animal.   

Guest lightheart

Well wow! I guess we can stop speculating that they know huh. I am aware that they run a big tire vehicle through the wildlife park in my area every morning. This is a recent change in the last year or year and one half. Also a boot was used to cover tracks in a ponded area where I think they were catching frogs.

Edited by lightheart

And then what does one make of this?

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=36218

"They found a ranger station and excitedly related the story. The rangers asked if they had a gun in the car and RK answered yes (he had a permit). The rangers asked if they shot at it and they said no. The rangers stressed the point that it was a crime to shoot at any animals in the park. They did take a few notes and said yes, they were aware of the creature, and this was just one of hundreds of reports they get. They told them the Florida name for the creature, the Skunk Ape."

They volunteered the information just from the description the witness gave.  They took notes.

Hmmmmm...

Not seen this one before, really interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. Rare to see one where they had such a long experience.

...and I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I just read the following on the Ventanawild.org website (Ventana/Silver Peak Wildernesses in the Big Sur region of CA).

"I was hiking with a few other people and they claimed to have seen a bear running up a slope. It was just upstream from Barlow. I didn't see it as I was away from camp at the time. Whatever it was, it was making a ton of noise smashing through brush. Later in the night something walked up the game trail towards the area we were camping and when it saw the flicker of our campfire it took off a smashed a whole bunch of redwood saplings, making a ton of noise in the process."

http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1224&p=7639#p7639

(And no, I wasn't gonna start a bigfoot thread there.)

I have watched and heard many bears retreat.  You are lucky to hear much of anything; it's truly remarkable how quiet they are.

But something like what's up there is reported in many sasquatch reports, and sounds - as the others do - like a classic great-ape dominance/intimidation display.  Just putting it out there.

(In fact, my twin brother once reported finding a torn-up patch of saplings in West Virginia...which he ascribed to bear, and until now I hadn't thought about much.  Hmmm.)

Edited by DWA

It would not surprise me if there are thousands of park and forest and refuge employees who know firsthand of the reality of sasquatch...and resolutely try to steer any public inquiries away from the topic, because of the size of one's workload without having to deal with something most think isn't real.

I would surprise me DWA.  I've worked with (I want to say hundreds but that might be stretching it) many, many in my career here in Ontario adjacent to and in Algonquin Park.  Not once did I hear anyone talk about or who was even interested in bf.  In fact It was a big joke when I'd ask.

t. 

Well, when you're in an Official Capacity and worried about your job, you might be particularly reticent about stuff like this too, to the extent of making a big joke of it if anyone asks.  I've read that in a number of reports.

In my experience, if something like no nonsense bf evidence had been presented to us, a lot of the staff would have been very interested without being worried about their job. That would include the supervisors and management.  Also, staff retire, quit or are let go.  If in fact staff had been threatened, which I could never see happening here, some would certainly talk or write about it down the road.  Things could be different where you are however.

t.

Sometimes I really think some areas are set aside for the BF on the down low.. Some of the Wildlife Management and Refuge areas are in BF hot spots and some have zero or nearly zero hunting allowed most of the time.

Yes I've thought the very same thing.  I was stopped on my road by the county sheriff one afternoon and he said "be careful, we have a couple of escaped prisoners running around."  So I drove into my place which was across the road from the game preserve, fed all the animals, did all the chores, got the kids in the house, made dinner and literally camped out in the living room.  The kids were wide eyed and frightened (they were in the back seat and heard what the sheriff said) but we turned every light on in the house and finally about 2am they fell asleep.

I stayed awake with a loaded shotgun beside me and at dawn I went outside to check on my horses.  I happened to look over to the mobile home next store and there were county cars in the driveway.  Instead of walking down the driveway and up the road I went through the pasture to my fence (which btw looked as if a truck went thru it) 5 strands of barbed wire broken???  Weird, no truck tracks, nothing....

The sheriff saw me and told me to stay where I was, he was walking to me.  I was very concerned and it showed I'm sure. He said that the "prisoners" ripped the front door off the mobile home and destroyed the kitchen..........what???  Very, very mysterious....however the prisoners had not been caught.

There was nothing in the newspaper or radio, and I have my doubts after thinking about the strange noises from the game preserve.  You start putting two and two together and sometimes you get answers.

The mobile home is no longer there according to google earth but the fence lines remain exactly the same. And still, I wonder what or who could rip a door off from a mobile home?

Guest lightheart

I wonder what other things besides prisoners are claimed to be the cause of activity that the sheriffs don't want to have to explaln as bigfoot.. I am sure if it truly had been prisoners that ripped the door off you would have heard about it on the news. Thanks for sharing Sunflower.

Nope. The woman said she had had it living in the country and wanted to be back in town.  That happened before I moved in next door and had no idea that hairy guys were in the woods across the road.