Why Is Bf So Shy/reclusive?

JanV

If you give credit to the stories, they were more open with the pre-Columbian inhabitants. It's might be that they still are.

Can you reference this? I've heard they had 'bad' relations on average with stone-age peoples. Very bad alot of times. Yes, in the PNW, there was interaction, but its like: We would leave them a huge pile of fish, and go back the next day and they would leave a huge pile of deer. There was no visual interaction. Then there is the canabalistic stuff with women and children, etc...

The 'trail of tears' in Canada is one current spot now. Over 50 Native women have gone missing in that area in recent years. Canadian BF seem to be pretty nasty on average from what I've read.

How does something so big hide in this day and age?

One could ask the same question in reference to the Bili Ape , the new tapir species just announced and the additional 100,000 gorillas { added to the previous projected population } discovered.    I tried to get a link for the article on the gorilla discovery from 2008 but my browser will not allow me to view the article for some reason, you can google it and find it easily

All of these mentioned discoveries took place in areas where numerous funded scientific research studies had been going on for decades.

North America to my knowledge does not have near as much scientific attention as the places of the above discoveries. 

So for a very stealthy, intelligent primate { possibly even in the Homo family } to exist in low numbers { 15,000 to 20,000 } in the US and Canada is not hard to grasp.

why so shy?......survival instinct I suppose, or that pesky blurriness when pics are taken. that's got to be embarrassing ;)   ( j/k )

Edited by Doc Holliday

By being very resourceful, while using multiple options at their disposal.

Though obviously they're not collectively batting .1000, or there would be nor BFRO database.  

Can you reference this? I've heard they had 'bad' relations on average with stone-age peoples. Very bad alot of times. Yes, in the PNW, there was interaction, but its like: We would leave them a huge pile of fish, and go back the next day and they would leave a huge pile of deer. There was no visual interaction. Then there is the canabalistic stuff with women and children, etc...

The 'trail of tears' in Canada is one current spot now. Over 50 Native women have gone missing in that area in recent years. Canadian BF seem to be pretty nasty on average from what I've read.

I looked up the Canadian trail of tears/missing women you reference and see nothing that makes me think BF, Wag.

More likely a combiation serial killer and mischance.

That did bring me to think about BF and aggression. From almost all I have read, BF must have a very low level of aggression. And possibly very little territorial instinct. Humans are Much more aggressive and territorial. Most BF sightings have the BF simply turning away and leaving the witness. This is probably the reason it hasn't been hunted to extinction.

Hello JanV,

I've been turning over your OP. I'm thinking that in today's world we are not competing that much for wild animals as a primary food source. Before the European arrial though it was different. NA were competing. In Africa bush meat is an ongoing issue. I'm not familiar with any estimates of the NA population size before Europeans arrived but it was large. And habitat was shared. It's only speculation but I'm wondering if Sasquatch was taken as North American bushmeat

In addition to staying away from humans, they likely move primarily at night and hole up during the day.  If they have a better sense of smell, hearing, or eyesight, they smell/hear/see us long before we see them and whether thru intelligence or adaptation, move away. 

Hi Hiflier,

I don't know enough about Native American legends to speculate on BF as bushmeat. From all I do remember about stories relating to cannibalism seemed to be about BF predation on tribal members. Still there may have been ritual cannibalism on both sides. I might pm Kathy Strain for her perspective on this.

If it is the nature of BF to be shy and reclusive, why do you think that is so?

Where I live now, the deer will ring the doorbell to get food (ok, they won't really ring the doorbell, but they've been just on the other side of the window).  Why so acclimated to humans? Very few hunters in the urbane mid-Hudson Valley, NY.  

Growing up in western PA, deer took off the second they heard you step on a tree branch in the woods.  Why? When the first day of buck season is a school holiday, you tend to get nervous if you're a buck. 

Of course, I've rarely been accused of overthinking things....

I looked up the Canadian trail of tears/missing women you reference and see nothing that makes me think BF, Wag.

More likely a combiation serial killer and mischance.

That did bring me to think about BF and aggression. From almost all I have read, BF must have a very low level of aggression. And possibly very little territorial instinct. Humans are Much more aggressive and territorial. Most BF sightings have the BF simply turning away and leaving the witness. This is probably the reason it hasn't been hunted to extinction.

-BF are very territorial, they toss rocks, how, make lots of noises. They probably have wide ranges. Non-confrontation is generally best for them in the long run. Remember, BF see people more than people see BF. I think if BF wants to get 'uppidy' humans would win with our numbers and technology. Brains usually win out over brawn. Indians could probably stalk BF almost as good as BF.

Guest Grifter9931

One could ask the same question in reference to the Bili Ape , the new tapir species just announced and the additional 100,000 gorillas { added to the previous projected population } discovered.    I tried to get a link for the article on the gorilla discovery from 2008 but my browser will not allow me to view the article for some reason, you can google it and find it easily

All of these mentioned discoveries took place in areas where numerous funded scientific research studies had been going on for decades.

North America to my knowledge does not have near as much scientific attention as the places of the above discoveries. 

So for a very stealthy, intelligent primate { possibly even in the Homo family } to exist in low numbers { 15,000 to 20,000 } in the US and Canada is not hard to grasp.

To be fair the region where the Bili apes are located is exactly the least hostile place on earth, and the natives where well aware of their existence and the Bush meat traders were well aware of them also...

Something 8ft somewheres in the excess of 700lbs is hard to miss, especially when you factor in the frequency of reports of the creature. Its like have a bunch of Samsung double door Fridges on the loose and people on catch glimpses of them.. It is just incredible how BF can go unnoticed in some of the places people are reporting sightings.

To be fair the region where the Bili apes are located is exactly the least hostile place on earth, and the natives where well aware of their existence and the Bush meat traders were well aware of them also...

Something 8ft somewheres in the excess of 700lbs is hard to miss, especially when you factor in the frequency of reports of the creature. Its like have a bunch of Samsung double door Fridges on the loose and people on catch glimpses of them.. It is just incredible how BF can go unnoticed in some of the places people are reporting sightings.

You'll have to admit, they are more mobile and intelligent than a Samsung, maybe not an LG, but for sure a Samsung.

If there are a large frequency of reports in particular places then they are not going unnoticed.