What Are You Saying When You Howl At Bf?

Hammer102492

I have been wondering....

If one sends out a howl, or a recorded blasted call, what are you saying to them?

How do we know what the Ohio Sounds or the Siren call actually mean to them?

What happens if it means that it's not a good thing.

Do you really want to howl out something for which you do not know what it means?

Just wondering.

I was reading one of Coonbo's stories about blasting the siren call and one big angry BF showed up and wanted to take his head off.

So that made me think about what we could be saying to them when we goof off practicing our squatch calls.  Maybe not  good idea?

I'm fairly confident that the BF figure out that it's a human, but really, what are you saying when you call them?

SSR Team

No one knows, which is why it's a little silly to do it IMO.

But hey, if it's good enough for FB, then it's good enough for everyone else..;)

• Upvote 2

Guest lightheart

Good point Hammer......This is why I have restricted my vocalizations to one song that I sing as I go deeper into the woods. I want to announce that I am entering their space in some way and I want it to be clear that I mean them no harm. I have considered for a long time that these recorded howls might not be a good idea. The song that I chose to use is It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood ---Mr. Rodger's Show song. It is not about the words so much as it is the musical tones. There are no minor notes in this song and the overall feel to the music itself is well-being, goodwill.    I  have never been able to whistle properly so I have had to seek another way to identify myself. LOL

Hello Hammer102942,

I think if I were to howl I would be saying "owoooooooo". In essence I wouldn't have a clue whether I'm saying' I'm your buddy" or "Your mother wears army boots" LOL. What can I say, be careful what you howl for? One would think if your going to do that then you've prepared yourself for the results if any....... Hopefully ;)

Edited by hiflier

I know that Coonbo knows the howls "words" to tee-off a Bigfoot. But in my own opinion and you go out making all kind of calls, you may have as well of stepped on a land mine. Who knows what you are saying, and most likely you would sound like ( I am sorry if this sounds callous ) a blind deaf person just yelling out random noises that make no sense what's so ever. If the syntax or verbs and whatever they use for language does not match their vocabulary, they will know, they just will. Coonbo is wise not to reveal his methods of enraging the "buggers", but if you don't know the language, try another technique.

Could be a mating call...

Could be challenging one of them to a quarrel...

Could be signaling your intent to dominate...

Could be you are sick...

Who really knows?

I don't know, so I don't do vocalizations.   I don't know for sure what wood knocks mean so I don't do that either.   If you watch Finding Bigfoot, by now you'll have noticed that either might get a brief response but neither has brought a sasquatch in close enough for a good visual or filming.   A definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing expecting the results to change.  So ... decide what you want.  If a distant howl or knock satisfies you, go ahead and howl and knock.   If you want something else, you're going to have to do something else.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Probably would be a good idea to NOT howl and whoop.  We don't have any idea yet what that means.  It could mean "Hey I found a roadkill deer, want some?"  or "Hey, there's a farm over here with tons of free corn!" 

It could even have something to do with mating and you might be in a heck of a mess.  If Coonbo enraged a hairy guy with a call, it might have meant "Hey, it's mating season, wanna do dinner and movie?"

So I just whistle...........

Edited by Sunflower

I have been wondering....

If one sends out a howl, or a recorded blasted call, what are you saying to them?

How do we know what the Ohio Sounds or the Siren call actually mean to them?

What happens if it means that it's not a good thing.

Do you really want to howl out something for which you do not know what it means?

Just wondering.

I was reading one of Coonbo's stories about blasting the siren call and one big angry BF showed up and wanted to take his head off.

So that made me think about what we could be saying to them when we goof off practicing our squatch calls.  Maybe not  good idea?

I'm fairly confident that the BF figure out that it's a human, but really, what are you saying when you call them?

There is definately two different camps on blasting calls. One wants to use sounds to elicite a response as a survey method, while the other despises it as a nuisance noise with a meaning we can't know. Some calls are a natural part of the indigenous soundscape so shouldn't be a nuisance to the wildlife. Finding out what the sounds mean or their effect is part of the experiment.

My guess....The Hairless Weirdos Are Back!  Run!!

Tim

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am not convinced that bigfoot howl very often. I'm sure they do, but how de we really know when a sound is actually from a bigfoot? Some of the sounds I've heard really sound like they could be from another, known, animal. Cats are notorious for making the "woman in distress" types of screams, and often this is what bigfoot recordings sound like they might be. The deeper, guttural screams are more interesting in my opinion, and there are only a couple of animals that I would think are capable of producing even a similar sound.

But if these are bigfoot screams, and the bigfoot are hearing researchers scream, do they actually think it is another bigfoot? I would be willing to bet that screams between bigfoot are directed at the immediate family group. I don't think the animals that don't know each other are going to be attempting to communicate, although I could be wrong. So if the bigfoot know that their family or group are all accounted for, then they probably have no reason to respond to a call. Just something to think about.

I wonder if there are different calls with different meanings, or if they do this simply as a means to locate one another. For a while that is what I assumed, but I don't know if that is the answer. It is possible I suppose.

lightheart, I like your approach, it is not far from what I do in the field.

Edited by NathanFooter

Good thoughts everyone. I'll keep listening to you all.

Mr. Roger's neighborhood comment cracks me up. BFs howl and humans sing. Sounds right. I'm sure it would sound funny for us to hear BFs singing.

Call blasting can't be much different from playing whale calls back in the ocean or calling in birds; success has to do with a lot of factors including whether the sounds have any meaning to the species you're trying to attract. Some calls would garner much more attention than others from any subject within distance to hear it.

My personal opinion is that BF are very quiet by nature and when they do decide to verbally announce their presence, it's an emotional response. The simplest emotions that drive humans and other apes to vocalize, even uncontrollably, are happiness or excitement, sadness, loneliness, fright, pain, and frustration or anger. You might also want to add territoriality to this list but I would think we'd be hearing BF more often if they used vocalizations to establish territories (like birds); so other methods of announcing their presence is more likely (e.g. tree manipulation). So I would suspect that all the BF calls recorded to date have something to do with one of these base emotions.

But since there really isn't any correlation between a suspected BF calls and their meaning, I would suggest that blasting a suspected BF call would generally be less successful, particularly when the meaning may be counter to the desired result, than blasting the sound of a wounded prey animal. In this way you could hope any curious BF would be listening primarily to its gut and make a mistake by getting too close.