What Are You Saying When You Howl At Bf?

Hammer102492

Guest keninsc

I recall there was a video on youtube that showed two different groups that didn't know each other were there kept calling back and forth to each other then they were each on either side of a large boulder. Then one group rushed around to get a picture and video and found the other group getting ready to do the same thing. 

You just gotta laugh.

Guest LarryP

but tell the truth how do you know it isn't another Bigfoot enthusiast calling back to you?

Do you know any BF enthusiasts that sound like they're 8' tall and weigh about 800 to 900 lbs?

That's how you know. 

Edited by LarryP

Hello All,

I've nothing to add here really. Kinda like a slow news day for me I guess. These last nine threads under the pinned ones don't seem to be on a path that really goes anywhere but there's some interesting comments in them from a bunch of members that I like so I read along. Just checkin' in I guess. Yep, slow news day. But it's all good you know? Kinda like the "back yard" stuff.  

Been working on two or three non-threatening, non-confrontational, non-accusatory questionaires for some future "official" interviews should I get any. Uh hu, slow news day indeed LOL. Sorry, off topic- running out of ideas I guess. Time to get into the field perhaps?

Guest keninsc

Do you know any BF enthusiasts that sound like they're 8' tall and weigh about 800 to 900 lbs?

That's how you know. 

Not really, but apparently these guys didn't either. Fact is I can make a convincing scream myself, at least as convincing as those guys on TV.  Things is, and my original point was, that when you or anyone else makes those calls we really don't know what were communicating to a Bigfoot. We could be making a warning call, or a mating call......I don't know about you but I don't want to be on the receiving end of a mating call to an eight foot tall, 800 lbs anything. Know what I mean?

LarryP - I plussed you on that one. 

I've thought about that, (someone fooling me).  But it was really late and really cold out.  I know most of the neighbors and they never heard of SSQ here until I mentioned it.  On that day, I will say to you that after my brother-in-law and I collected ourselves, the first thing I said was either A) that was someone messing with us or B) that was a SSQ.  The closest neighbor in that direction is 87 years old and wasn't out.  There is another farm at the top of the hill in the valley and they were in a position to hear it / respond to it, but that second howl wasn't anything that my brother-in-law could do in a million years.  I don't know those people well, but from what I do know, I don't think that they were out late that night.

No way, that was a major howl. 

keninsc - I don't doubt that what you say could happen easily.  When I go to the OH BF Conference in April at Salt Fork, I will not trust anything that I hear when you get a bunch of BF enthusiasts together, camping and drinking beer in SSQ land.  That weekend will be just for sharing fun, not for serious BFing.  I need to check with one more neighbor, but I am fairly confident, if not convinced, that what we heard wasn't human.  Like Larry P said, it sounded like it was 8' tall and 800 - 900 lbs.  We knew what it was. 

hilifer - thanks for checking in.  Slow news days are not a bad thing.  Just happy to have you hanging around the thread.  It's like standing around a campfire.

You are thinking of good thoughts that need to be planned for the future.  In life, business and fun, it's always best to have some space to think about things so you can plan ahead.

If you pick up on something that makes you think of something else and get inspired, so much the better. 

I'm just outside waiting for the storm.  It's 45 degrees last I checked.  Still feels warm to me from where we've been.  I'm in multiple layers and a few blankets, but the tunes are going and after being stuck inside all winter, I'm here.  Tomorrow we are supposed to get ice and a blizzard. 

Actually, there was one night when I stayed out for two hours trying to kick a campfire, and it was 6 degrees.  So that's shows you my need to be outside.  And that has nothing to do with SSQ.  I had been doing that for many many years, except that my previous record was 22 degrees.  22 three years ago, was this year's 6.  Today it was 70 ish.  Had a great hike with the sun beating down on me all the way to the river and back.  We women got to have our vitamin D so our bones don't fall apart. 

Tonight, I'm just happy to be out like it used to be before this >>laughing<< record setting winter.  I love nature.  I actually like the epic weather events.  I'm probably hanging around tonight to see when the weather changes.  I haven't looked at it in several hours, but I know what it is now, and it feels pretty warm by comparison.  Tomorrow I go to the Skywarn storm spotter class for a little refresher.  I love weather stuff.  Hopefully, it won't be cancelled do to extreme weather! 

keninsc - yeah, I agree with you.  That's why I don't want to call it for mating or whatever!  Nope, ain't going to get me to call it.  I'll just be me, and they can be them.  They may hear me singing to the Grateful Dead, and I may hear them, doing what they do.  I ain't going to mess with it.  As a matter of fact, if I have anybody stay here, I am going to set the rule down, that we don't call it.  That is  not allowed anymore because twice when we did it, we had a big reaction.  I am not one to do it just to get a reaction.  No need for that.  It kind of breaks the respectful code of letting everyone just get busy being free, to quote a song. 

If there is a big emergency coming, like a tornado over the hill, I will clang the triangle and maybe make some sort of howl to warn them.  They may already know it's coming.  But just thinking about if there was some sort of emergency, I would try to communicate with them in whatever way if I felt it was necessary.  I have full confidence that they would hear me.  That's just how I feel anyway.

Guest keninsc

They obviously know how to survive. I've always wondered how they handle extreme cold....migrate?....semi-hybernate?.....or what?

I can see making an initial call. I once read that they will come and check out s call they've not heard before, but after that they recognize you. Don't know if that's a fact or not.

Keninnc - I believe what you say.  Fooled once, but after an investigation, they know who they are dealing with.  Moneymaker said on the show something about virgin squatch in being the first time it was called.  I think we're past that here.

Well, being a die hard weather buff, still out here thinking that the rain should be moving in any time now.  The pressure is low.

Oh ho!  Here is the rain!  Ah, the storm has begun.

OK, one last tune before I go in.  "Looks like Rain" by the Grateful Dead.

Peace out y'all!  Thanks and all that.

Guest keninsc

You a Dead head, huh?

There's a lot I'd like to know about these critters. I've never seen one or found any tracks, but to be honest back in the day when I was hiking and hunting a lot I never really looked for them.

I did encounter a God-awful smell once, it smelled like a dozen smelly Frenchmen after play soccer and both bathing. Very nearly took my breath away. Never saw anything or heard anything. I was deer hunting at the time. That's not much of an encounter story, but it's all I have.

When I am out hiking I never make a call for the reasons mentioned previously.  However, they do come by my home from time to time on hunting expeditions and really scared my daughter one night.  So I do call out from my house from time to time to see if any of them are around so I can warn my daughters that they are back and not to play in the woods and be extra vigilant.  I also make calls with extra gusto after a couple glasses of wine just to announce that this property is mine and to back off.  I have no clue whether this makes sense but it seems to make all of the sense in the world after a few adult beverages:}

Guest LarryP

Not really, but apparently these guys didn't either. Fact is I can make a convincing scream myself, at least as convincing as those guys on TV.  Things is, and my original point was, that when you or anyone else makes those calls we really don't know what were communicating to a Bigfoot. We could be making a warning call, or a mating call......I don't know about you but I don't want to be on the receiving end of a mating call to an eight foot tall, 800 lbs anything. Know what I mean?

It's funny because the first vocalization I ever heard started with a very long whooooop that for the first couple of seconds I assumed was coming from one of the local rednecks across the cove who'd been getting into the meth and moonshine, again.

But after the first couple of seconds it became very obvious that no human was capable of producing a whoop with that length and volume. Then it was immediately followed by the loudest and longest howl I've ever heard.

My 2 cents, If you're worried that ole biggie is going to come get you, then don't call or even go out there. If you think calling one might result in it coming to you, then mount a GoPro on a hand held spot light, be armed if you want, then document whatever happens. Last thing you want is to just have a story to tell.

When I howl at them, it's a gentle reminder they'd be better off not cohabitating with my ex-wife.

• Upvote 1

Whoops may be safe. I played some from the Sierra sounds for them one night, long ago, before we got acquainted & it really got their attention. One came up close to the house, brayed like a donkey, & added a "whooo?" to the end of the bray.

I got the impression that a whoop may mean "I'm over here". Whatever it means, it didn't get me killed.