A Closer Look

yowiie

SSR Team

I smelt nothing untoward in my sighting, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm convinced they use scent glands when they're stressed, worried or unhappy like other higher primates do.

I was no threat or reason to be worried for what I saw, hence no smell.

Edited by BobbyO

Guest lightheart

Bobby I agree with you about the smell. I have had several close experiences and have never smelled anything unusual in connection to these encounters..

My main sighting was 250 feet away last May, however, I am still trying to figure out if last week when I was walking through SSQ territory on a country road if it was a baby SSQ that jumped from the brush about 20 feet from me.  It was all black and looked like a baby bear.  The head was concealed in the brush and it moved super fast.  I was walking up and down a very large hill to the river and back in a very rural area.  I had just picked up my head to look around after finishing some prayers, and wondered if SSQ was around.  Right then is when something moved quickly in the brush right next to me on the road.  It looked like it was leaping forward, like it was haunched over but couldn't have been more than waist high or so. 

It might not have been a SSQ, but I can't figure out what else it was.  We haven't had any bear sightings around here and the coyote are not black like that.  There was some girth to it and it moved fast.  I honestly think it was a baby SSQ, but I'm not going to say that for sure. 

What else it interesting is that for an hour into my hike, I had been saying the Rosary for some sick relatives and did not allow my mind to wander.  When I was finished saying my prayers, it was like whew!  Let's look around and see what we see for the last part of this hike.  That's when it jumped from the brush right next to me.  Maybe it had been following me for awhile and I just happened to start paying attention. 

Who knows what it was for sure, but I can't come up with any other answers.  Too big to be a dog or a coyote, could have been a bear cub but it would be a first around here, was in an area that is known to me for SSQ.  I kept looking over there but didn't see anything after the first time it moved.  A few minutes later, I did hear branches breaking again, but I didn't see anything.

I had a family group approach me in 2011, three of which got to within 15-20 feet of me.  Very, very intense.  It was about 2 am and they would step into the bright beams of moonlight filtering down through gaps in the thick canopy to give me a real good look.  I didn't have a flash camera, but did get several shots of them in the thick brush.

This marked photo shows one of the Big Guys peering out from the leaves.  He is not surfer, that is a leaf above his head.  Getting videos and pictures is not that easy.  This picture shows just how close I was to them...

post-1510-0-83611100-1395457785_thumb.jp

Guest keninsc

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Wow, is an understatement!

Where were you when this was taken? I think intense wouldn't describe it for me. I'd probably have scared them off from the stench of me crapping my pants.

SSR Team

I can't really work anything out clearly.

I can see what maybe looks like the bridge of a nose and a brow ridge ?

Adult male 35 feet in daylight, BFRO: Washoe County, Nevada.

One right outside my window, same report location.

Pregnant female within 50m:  Northwest sightings section of this forum.

Stalked by three, adult male concealed within fifteen feet of me.  Discussed on this forum.

One reaching into my tent, then crouching just outside my tent.  Northwest sightings section of this forum.

SSR Team

MO,

Is this the original you've posted or an enlargement?

If so could you post the original please?

Yeah, it would add some clarity to what we're looking at.

Nice picture Midnight