A Closer Look

yowiie

Not sure.. dark, in the trees.. about 10 yards.   I just know it wasn't anything normal... was frozen solid with fear for a minute or so.. only taken 40 years to even talk about it. 

Guest Coonbo

My first for-sure encounters as an adult: http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=577 .  These started a quest for knowledge about these creatures that has taken me into the boonies specifically looking for them in 18 states and keeping my eyes, ears, and nose open for evidence of them in the boonies of at least 18 more states.

I've had several less-than-50-meters encounters since then, some of them quite hair-raising. 

I've smelled the gawdawful stench a few times, but also have encountered a strong, almost overpowering, sick-sweet odor that I believe to be their breath at certain times of the year.

Edited by Coonbo

How do u get a camera stolen TWICE ? wow..

It wasn't. Only once. It was in my car, and we suspected 2 culprits, who had been hanging around, and a couple weeks later had proof, and my camera back. Then I was more leery about taking it with me all the time, and gradually slacked off. The second sighting was approx. 2 yrs. later, and by then the camera was gathering dust on my desk. Hence the missed pportunity of my lifetime.

I had a camera sitting 3 feet from me in my truck when I had my encounter. But there was no way I was taking my eyes off the creature, even though it was not behaving in a threatening manner. In making that choice, I may well have created an enigma from myself that I will take to my grave.

Wow Sal I hadn't heard that about the camera before now. I bet you think about that quite a bit to this day don't you. I can completely understand why you didn't grab it though.

A little more about that- I fly hang gliders (this was in the interview that FB/FB did, that no longer is on the web) and was on my way to the Telluride Hang Gliding Festival.

The camera was in my hang gliding harness bag which was sitting immediately behind me in the middle of the truck (full size Chevy Blazer- I had removed the rear seat). All I had to do was turn around, unzip the harness bag and disconnect the camera from the harness (its connected to the harness so in flight I can just drop it till I need it again) and take the shot.

This meant taking my eyes off the creature, which was clearly agitated.

The other thing was, there was glass between me and it. It was dark out so the camera was going to make a flash and it would have reflected off the windshield. So I would have also had to roll down the window and get the camera out of the truck to make the shot. I know its not much, but the idea that I would be on the same side of the glass as a 10 foot tall BF (one that was clearly agitated) that was no more than 20 feet away at the time was a little much. So I just sat there for a minute (or seemed like it) debating my options while at the same time observing it.

It was blocking the entire lane so when I went into the other lane to get around it was the point when I got within about 8 feet. If I had been sitting in the passenger seat I could have reached out and touched it.