Survivorman Bigfoot A-Z

PBeaton

Too much paranormal type BF on the last show for me, but it's all part of footin', so it's cool. As long as he doesn't start dwelling on it.

Or, God forbid, experience it.

Guest Squatchologist

his new episodes he is not with Todd Standing, so lets put that behind us, i believe he has learned his lesson

Of all the Bigfoot researchers out there to pick from, Todd Standing would not have been in my top 100 or even the top 1000. As a matter of fact, in my opinion the only one Les could have picked with even less creditability would be Rick Dryer. I like Les and think his is a stand up guy, but add T.S. to the mix and I know watching "Survivor-man: Bigfoot" would be a waste of time. There are so many good researchers out there. WHY OH WHY pick T.S.???

You could also ask that same question of a certain Professor of Anatomy and Anthropology at Idaho State University.

• Upvote 1

What I see him doing is playing out the mental operation it takes for somebody who has spent lots of time outdoors, thinking he was experiencing one thing, but starting to realize it might be something else entirely. There is almost a Mary Kubler-Ross, stages of grief process for anyone who arrives at this point. I know I had to come to terms with it at  some point, and remember it well. Good for him if he is getting there. What I always found compelling about his shows is his honesty and his humility. You get none of this macho survivalist b.s. with him. If something sucks, he'll let you know it. If he screws up, he won't try to hide it. This exactly the kind of guy you want to have with you and it engenders trust.

Well put WSA. I agree with your analysis of Stroud in general. He has been there and done that enough that he no longer has to prove himself to anyone beyond his own skin. So, he cuts through the B.S.  and we are spared the "I am cool because look at me I am cool" stuff that is so...boring, and such a waste of air time. It is interesting to watch him question his own personal paradigm, and to watch him as he processes the concept all that he has experienced that may not be as cut and dried as he once thought it was.

BFF Patron

It's Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.  I found that Stroud was off on his tree break analyses of trees adjacent to a road bed and/or on a road embankment.  These trees are constantly stressed by wind, rain, unstable bulldozed soils from road cuts and other things like snow and ice.  Trees adjacent to roadbeds are going to fall more frequently or lean than the average tree in the woods.  I wasn't sure on a few of his other analyses, but this one stuck out as hardest to live with.  The show is not as much of a distraction as the rest of the Bigfoot BS and for that I was grateful for the history lesson and that he is trying to learn from others besides Standing. I liked the BC Klemtu show and the Hoopa references in this show. 

Edited by bipedalist

Les seems able to get into beautiful first nation areas that are off limits to marching bands and rock singers. It is fresh to see his approach as opposed to hillbillies running around with guns, lights, and panic. Those scripted shows are made for entertainment but are getting less so while more outlandish claims are made.  

Edited by beerhunter

I am still wishing the guy would station himself in one area with a lot of recent evidence and stay there for an entire *season.*  Working for NAWAC...and Les would get more money to do it than NAWAC can raise with real-world obligations and using their vacation time.

Les seems able to get into beautiful first nation areas that are off limits to marching bands and rock singers. It is fresh to see his approach as opposed to hillbillies running around with guns, lights, and panic. Those scripted shows are made for entertainment but are getting less so while more outlandish claims are made.  

I am not sure I am ever going to get why people think running around antagonizing the wildlife is gonna get results.  Sure FB is doing it.  It's a desperation tactic; they've been given three days, max, and the only way they have a chance to see anything is to scare it into showing itself.  That works, sometimes.  But the odds are decidedly against it.

That's why I think the Les approach would work:  get into an area; let the wildlife get used to your presence; then count on its curiosity for results.  This has been shown effective not only by NAWAC's work in Area X, but by the many encounters registered by people whose homes on the edge of habitat have become accepted features of the landscape...and get visits from curious animals, which is the way it works with all species, not just reclusive primates.

No Todd Standing?  Here's snippets taken from the opening scenes.  

post-120-0-51594600-1428769286.png

post-120-0-84867500-1428769056.png

post-120-0-78751000-1428769078.png

Does Les Stroud have ANY idea how his association with Standing affects how he is received?

I was kinda surprised he let those snippets be used in the intro.  So, far there's been no TS in this series, other than the comments Les made about how the footprints could have been made on the hillside by someone wearing stompers backwards and running down the hill (which I think was a reference to a TS claim - but Les did not directly say so).

Guest ewashguy56

The other thing I really liked about Les in the first show Klemtu he mentioned rather than go out looking for BF, he was going to try to let it come to him. A novel idea! Just love all his programs.

Does Les Stroud have ANY idea how his association with Standing affects how he is received?

Not unless he regularly reads the BFF. No one should attempt anything in bigfootin' until they thoroughly read through the BFF threads.

BFF Patron

Randy, you are my go-to expert on all things "lava tube" so I have to ask you. There was a reference made in the episode about "caves" that really stunk, to the point where those searching for a lost boy didn't want to enter those. As I understand it, this area in B.C. was the site of past volcanic activity. Assuming these were lava tubes being described, it brings to my mind the possibility of a Sulfur 02 seep vs. BF stench, although the description was sort of sketchy, I know.. Any thoughts? 

As well, does anyone else have experience in this kind of geology, or even local knowledge of the particular area they can share? Thanks. 

You bring up a valid point.     While there is not a lot of evidence of venting of sulfur dioxide on flat ground lava tubes there is no reason to totally discount it.  These outpourings like the Columbia River Basalt fields were formed by massive rifts where the lava flowed and covered huge areas.    Lava tubes in those cases, are where lava covered ravines,  solidified on top, and molten material flowed out in from underneath in deeper areas where it was still very hot and viscous, creating the tubes.     For those outside this area, in places the Columbia River Basalt flows are over 2000 feet thick.      When the pressure was relieved and the basalt had time to cool,  then it would most likely cap the vents and stop out gassing.    But things erode, fracture, and numerous earthquake faults are in the area so there is no reason to discount that some lava tubes could harbor venting of sulfur dioxide and other gases and the resulting bad smells.       Volcanoes, even one that has not erupted in 100s of years,  actively vent gases.     Mt St Helens and Mt Hood both have active gas vents.      Most of the large Cascade volcanoes are just temporarily inactive.    They could erupt at any time.      Any lava tube associated with a volcano would have associated gases venting periodically or continuously.   

On the other hand there could be some link of that volcanism to BF themselves.   I have some theories about the BF smell issue.   While body odor may be some innate defense mechanism in their armpits like some great apes have,    if a BF clan sets up housekeeping in a lava tube that has sulfur deposits, the sulfurous skunk smell associated with some BF could also be the results of sulfur impregnated into their hair or fur.   Active gas venting would kill them as sulfur dioxide is lethal.    A lot of pet and human shampoos have sulfur compounds in them.     To control lice, which might be a real problem for a hairy thing like BF, I could see them even rubbing sulfur into their fur to control lice.  Just theories mind you but these things might explain the bad smell for some BF. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT