What Did Gimlin Mean When He Said This?

TD-40

From the recent interview:

Thom:  Do you have any regrets about the publishing of the film to the world?

Bob:  Oh yes, I do... so many different issues on that it would take me days to go through all of it

Does anyone have any ideas on what he meant?

Edited by TD-40

How about a constant barrage of questions and second guessing from proponent and opponent alike?

I think it's kind of obvious; and it's the reason most people who report seeing them wish they could un-see it.

(And the reason that no one with a scientific pedigree will ever report seeing one from the field, except for the way all of them do...anonymously, on bigfoot websites.)

The response to that film was plainly illogical.  I'd wonder why I didn't just keep it to myself.  Bet Bob frequently does, too.

Wouldn't surprise me...if he, at some point,.....wished he'd been BORN as a BF.  So he wouldn't have been over-exposed to....humans,....(at least be able to relatively disappear) 

I know that the notoriety he gained from the film was not welcomed by him or his family, and it caused marital issues.

Guest keninsc

That one piece of film has been gone over more times than the JFK head shot film. And every time someone found something or thought they did then P&G were called to explain it. That gets tiring after a while.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I can only imagine the grief that this video has caused him. And for what? For attempting to educate the rest of the world. There are people who wish to show others that these animals exist; their motives are not selfish by any means, and for attempting this service these people have to put up with others telling them that what they saw or filmed is not real. Can any of you imagine how it would feel to not only see a sasquatch, but to capture it on film, and then present it to the world thinking you have discovered something exceedingly important, only to have the wind taken out of your sails when nobody believes you?

Can you imagine what this would feel like to an honest, hard-working individual? They know they're telling the truth, and they are not expecting the backlash that occurs after they go public. This could really affect some people, because essentially your world view is immediately changed. You find out the hard way that people are just plain intolerant, among other things, and that you live in a world where claims, even with evidence, mean absolutely nothing. You know that what you've seen and captured on film is important, and you know it is real, yet others find ways to "prove" that either you are a hoaxer, or that you misidentified a known animal, or that you were hoaxed. Knowing that what you saw was a real animal, how would it feel to see people offering these "proofs" of a hoax?

And I'm not just talking about Gimlin. This goes for all witnesses. Maybe Patty is a hoax. It is possible. But I would imagine that if it was a hoax, Gimlin would not have been as negatively affected by the naysayers and attention, because it would not hurt his feelings for someone to say it isn't real...since it wasn't real to begin with. So why would anyone care if that were the case? But if it were real, and Gimlin knows it's real, then things become much more personal. I cannot imagine what many witnesses have had to go through, all because they wanted to be a good Samaritan and let others know about what they saw. And I think most people do this because it is important. They are essentially saying, "hey guys, you know that whole bigfoot thing? Well, it turns out it IS real!" Because these witnesses are affected so powerfully, essentially realizing a truth that was hidden to them and to the majority of the world, they become excited in a sense...can you imagine knowing something that only a small percentage of everyone in the world knows? Wouldn't you wish to share it with others?

And like I said, imagine having the wind taken out of your sails when you attempt to share your discovery. It could turn anyone bitter, or worse. I think it would take an exceptionally strong person to not be negatively affected in at least some manner if this happened to them. I don't talk about my encounter with anyone for the most part, at least not in person. If someone else brings the subject up, which almost never happens, I will mention it, and I will talk about it online, but I know what can happen if I go trumpeting it to everyone. Only a small percentage would believe me. A slightly larger group would think that maybe I was telling the truth, although they still are not convinced, and many would think I am just making it up, while the smallest group would be reserved for those thinking I was hoaxed by someone else. Maybe that wouldn't be the smallest group, but I don't think there would be all that many people who believed that and that alone was the likely explanation. Some would believe and be correct, but it would be a small group of people to be sure.

Anyway, I avoid this by not talking about it. But I am someone with knowledge of not only the animals, but the community as well. So I know what I would be getting myself into if I decided to really start telling lots of people. I could handle it because I have had time to prepare myself. So if I ever finish the sasquatch book I've been working on, piecemeal, I will expect many people to say certain things about my claims, whether it is my personal experience, or my analysis of the creature in general. Someone without such experience will likely not know the storm that they could cause within their own lives.

The crapstorm is probably directly proportional to the amount of attention the story receives. If it is a video that spreads far and wide like the PGF, you can expect the worst, because so many people are going to have an opinion, most of them believing it is fake. And hiding behind their keyboards, some of these people will be incredibly hurtful about how the give their opinion. I suppose I'm kind of just running in circles here, so I will wrap it up by reiterating that Gimlin has likely gotten the worst of it. Patterson is no longer alive, so everything is on him now. Everything will be directed at him.

And he has been dealing with the same crap for decades now, and it has probably gotten more than old. It is a shadow that will follow him for the rest of his life, and no matter what he does, it will never go away. I honestly believe that if the video was a hoax, he would have admitted it by now. Or maybe a deathbed confession or something. I doubt that will happen though, and if it doesn't, I will raise my percentage from 75 to about 85. I wonder if the negative experiences would get worse, or go away altogether, if he came out and said it was a hoax? It would eliminate the debate. Some would be mad, and would likely not have good things to say, but it couldn't be any worse than being called a crazy liar. So considering the bad things that have happened to him as a direct result of the ambiguity of Patty, perhaps he would have attempted to put a stop to it all by admitting it to be a hoax...if indeed it was.

Edited by JiggyPotamus

I can only imagine the grief that this video has caused him. And for what? For attempting to educate the rest of the world. There are people who wish to show others that these animals exist; their motives are not selfish by any means, and for attempting this service these people have to put up with others telling them that what they saw or filmed is not real. Can any of you imagine how it would feel to not only see a sasquatch, but to capture it on film, and then present it to the world thinking you have discovered something exceedingly important, only to have the wind taken out of your sails when nobody believes you?

Can you imagine what this would feel like to an honest, hard-working individual? They know they're telling the truth, and they are not expecting the backlash that occurs after they go public.

Yes I can.

He's probably had nothing but grief from it from the beginning.

I lean towards he probably regrets it from all the unwanted attention and grief. Being in the public eye can put a lot of stress on marriages and families alike.

Guest keninsc

Yeah, fame sucks, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Fifteen minutes I can handle, he's been dealing with this since 1967.

And in this situation, not all "fame" is appreciated. When your character is constantly attacked, I'm sure it must grow tiresome.

Everyone has their breaking point. When you are begrudged and smeared a lot, especially after all these years, people are going to relent and stop making the claim that put them in that situation.But Gimlin hasn't done that.

Well, I think he regrets releasing that film since his other one has much better footage of BF on it.  People would have believed him years ago.

Well, I think he regrets releasing that film since his other one has much better footage of BF on it. People would have believed him years ago.

I doubt that. Don't hold much hope on any film.