What Did Gimlin Mean When He Said This?

TD-40

^^^People who don't think about this much have no idea how the initial scientific take (the reserved-maybes much quieter than the scoffers) poisoned public perception of the P-G film.

No one gave a good reason for branding it a fake.  And that didn't matter.

I think it would be much harder today for the noise to drown out the signal.  Too many avenues for the signal to get out.

Guest zenmonkey

I always thought what if it is al a lie ( I personally think its a hoax but that not what I'm getting at) Imagine the weight of this they were playing a prank in the 60s now the entire B/F community almost worships the man. If it was a joke/hoax whatever and he's had tp play along with it all this time. Thats gotta be a lot on a mans shoulders. Just talking here not starting a war!

^The thing is, if the PGF is a hoax, and Bob was in on it, why did he stay silent about it all those years when Patterson was making money from it but he wasn't? Why did he stay silent even though Patterson had some other guy with him on tour who he would say is Bob Gimlin? Bob didn't like either situation, to the point he wouldn't even speak to Patterson and finally did so only when Roger was on his death bed. Seems if Bob knew it was a hoax he would have busted Patterson.

If it was a hoax and Gimlin was not in on it, then Patterson played a very dangerous game, since Bob had his rifle, he even pulled it and leveled it at Patty/The guy in the suit. They had vowed beforehand that they would not shoot one unless it threatened them, but how was Patterson so sure Gimlin wouldn't freak out and shoot Patty/The guy in the suit?

I don't know and I'm still not convinced the PGF is absolutely valid, but those are questions I have a hard time squaring up.

As for why Bob has regrets, I imagine what transpired between himself and Patterson afterwards is among them. Bob wouldn't even give a public statement about the film for years.

Guest zenmonkey

^The thing is, if the PGF is a hoax, and Bob was in on it, why did he stay silent about it all those years when Patterson was making money from it but he wasn't? Why did he stay silent even though Patterson had some other guy with him on tour who he would say is Bob Gimlin? Bob didn't like either situation, to the point he wouldn't even speak to Patterson and finally did so only when Roger was on his death bed. Seems if Bob knew it was a hoax he would have busted Patterson.

If it was a hoax and Gimlin was not in on it, then Patterson played a very dangerous game, since Bob had his rifle, he even pulled it and leveled it at Patty/The guy in the suit. They had vowed beforehand that they would not shoot one unless it threatened them, but how was Patterson so sure Gimlin wouldn't freak out and shoot Patty/The guy in the suit?

I don't know and I'm still not convinced the PGF is absolutely valid, but those are questions I have a hard time squaring up.

As for why Bob has regrets, I imagine what transpired between himself and Patterson afterwards is among them. Bob wouldn't even give a public statement about the film for years.

Good points man all of them. Guess we will never really know the truth. Still an amazing piece of footage 

<Still an amazing piece of footage>

Agreed. Equally fascinating to me even if fake. A great effort at special effects for that time period by an amature. I wanna know how they did it.

agreed rock, learning the truth would be a real face melting discovery........no, wait......sorry, we already tried that ..... ;)

• Upvote 2

... it caused marital issues.

This is the big reason.  He has repeatedly said his wife did not appreciate the attention she got at work and in town, and she threatened to leave.  The first internet radio interview I heard Gimlin give he was at a phone at a store down the road from his place, because he didn't dare risk doing the interview at home lest his wife hear him talking about bigfoot.

I saw this thread again and a thought just occurred to me.  You know, from getting to know this great man just a little bit, and from talking with his close friends, I think that this experience really didn't change him.  He's still the same cool ass guy that he was when he went out there, hiking in the mountains with horses, looking for tracks.  I heard that he recently went on a primitive wilderness trek out west with a few close people.  He's 82 years old!  And still doing what he loves.

Sure the film changed his life, but he's still the coolest cowboy I ever met.  Handsome too.

I'm sure he's a very affable, congenial fellow.

Probably almost even charming. 

I don't buy what he's selling.

He's not selling anything and he makes no money. Doesn't speak much, we were lucky to hear it. Didn't sound like BS when he told the story. Just saying...

Thank you for that excellent post Hammer!!!

I'm glad that the people there were respectful of him. It's amazing to me that he will even speak about it after over 40 years of the mockery & contempt that he must have suffered.

I'm sure he's a very affable, congenial fellow.

Probably almost even charming. 

I don't buy what he's selling.

Me neither.  The tradition of cowboy story telling appears alive and well.  

t.