What Did Gimlin Mean When He Said This?

TD-40

Careful, Cotter - You may start yet another claim for those that don't believe the film to be real to exploit.

Something I've never seen addressed, but perhaps it has somewhere is, what does Gimlin gain by perpetuating a hoax? By all accounts, until recent years, he didn't even really want to talk about it so I don't figure him for an attention hound. I can't imagine that he has profited from it in any substantial way to justify the aggravation he has suffered. I seriously doubt he feels any obligation to continue carrying the flag for Patterson almost 50 years later. So what is his motivation to maintain the lie (if it is a hoax)?

In fact, if he is as repelled by the negative attention as I perceive him to be, he could have come out years ago and stated it was a hoax, and the whole thing would have disappeared overnight. After all, other than a footnote in the BF community, who even remembers Dyers buddy from 2008?

Well you know the old saying about truth:  First it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third it is finally accepted as self evident.

I think we're at stage 3 now.

Guest keninsc

OK, a question. Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that since the PGF was first shown no one else has been able to get another good video? There's tons of obvious fakes and the ever present "blobsquatch" videos where you can't tell anything, but nothing that has the detail and clarity of the PGF.

Could be it's me.

Guest Urkelbot

Your in the minority around here dude. Who needs video or photographs when you have thousands of unsubstantiated reports.

Guest keninsc

True.

However, in fairness, most people who report seeing a Bigfoot are very often alone and unprepared for such an encounter. No camera, no person who can back up what they saw and by nature makes it possible to verify. All you can go on is their reputation and sadly, unless you know this person on a personal level then that is an impossibility.

If I saw one tonight and reported it here or on someone else's web site then it would be unsubstantiated.

Well there are add'l unsubstantiated reports of BF vids that don't get shared.

Not that it means a thing.

Not all BF vids are shared (allegedly) is my point I guess.

Cotter,

I was pretty sure you were jesting but I had to check! My first thought was "How have I not heard of this other video??"

Oh, try the veal and don't forget to tip your server!

Guest keninsc

Well there are add'l unsubstantiated reports of BF vids that don't get shared.

Not that it means a thing.

Not all BF vids are shared (allegedly) is my point I guess.

I have found that people often allude to something like a video that only they have seen, due to some security hocus-pocus or or it belonged to a friend that had some sort of non-disclosure agreement with someone who was backing them financially or they were in the employment of, but for whatever reason they couldn't actually show it to anyone else. But I could take their word for it, it was real and they'd seen it. When I hear that sort of thing I'm totally uninterested in what they have to say after that. Why use it to substantiate your story when you can't provide it to anyone else to substantiate what you're saying? And I freely admit I am a bit cynical when I hear stuff like this, ok, that's a lie. I'm a lot cynical about it, but it's a cynicism borne out of hearing the same thing from too many people.

Now I will grant you there might be some legitimate reason for not being able to share an entire video or certain parts of a video, I really do get that, but it's come to be like a standard fall back position for someone who's been asked for some proof and they don't have any. And then we're back to the post where I talked about being caught unprepared, you have no proof but want to tell your story, and let's be honest there are a lot of liars who will say things like that to try and cover them and their statements. 

• 5 weeks later...

From the recent interview:

Thom:  Do you have any regrets about the publishing of the film to the world?

Bob:  Oh yes, I do... so many different issues on that it would take me days to go through all of it

Does anyone have any ideas on what he meant?

I'm not even reading the rest of this thread, just going to answer your question from my opinion after hearing him speak at Salt Fork a few weeks ago...

He talked about how much he was ridiculed by his local people.  His wife went to the bank teller and she refused to wait on her.

He said that the next day after they came back, he was so exhausted from staying up all night to hike back a long way over rugged terrain, then having to get the truck and horses out of the river that rose up, that he crashed out to sleep when they got home.  The next day, Patterson announced it to the public, and Gimlin caught some grief for not being there when it was announced.  After all these years, it seemed like he was still ticked off about that.

He also said that he didn't get any money from the rights to that film.

As I say this, I want you to know that he was very cool about it and didn't get nasty or accusatory, he was just stating the facts as they were.  And this is just my opinion from what I took away from it.  He doesn't talk much but when he did, it was powerful.  He had the audience eating out the palm of his hand.

Listening to what it was like for him personally to get to Bluff Creek was just captivating.  Patterson asked him to go because he really wanted the research and to get prints from there.  Gimlin was free that day and went with him.  Gimlin did a LOT OF WORK to make that trip happen.  He's just a low key country rodeo guy that was good with horses and was up for an expedition. 

One of the coolest things that he said, was that "I saw it with these two blue eyes.  I was not looking at it from behind a camera.  I saw it make it's move and watched it the whole time.  Patterson was rushing to get the camera."  They only had 1 minute left on the reel because Patterson had been filming other things.  Gimlin said that while Patterson was rushing to get the shot while looking through the camera lens, he tripped on a rock or something which is why you see the shot jumble for a few seconds.  Because he saw it from start to finish with his two blue eyes, he feels that he got the best look at it.  It's burned into his brain and at 82 years old, he tells the story like it happened yesterday.  He also said something about the horses getting spooked off when it showed up and they had all the gear and extra film on them.  I'm not sure when exactly that happened with the horses running off, but I think that's how it goes from what he said.  It was just one of those moments.  They went up there to document and track prints and fortunately had less than a minute left in the can to capture the event.

I did hear from a very close friend of his that there were a few times when he would give a talk and people were just milling about and not paying attention to him.  I can't even imagine that.  When he was at Salt Fork, he was treated like a hero.  He said many times that we were the best group he had ever spoken to.  We were just so grateful that he came all the way from California to talk to us, and we are grateful to Tom Yamarone for bringing  him to us safe and sound!

So what are his regrets?  I don't know.  It seems like there were a few snags along the way, but honestly, from how genuine and nice he was to each and every person that he met, he's just enjoying life now.  I got to actually spend some time with him, as did anyone that wanted to.  He was so available and I don't know how he kept his energy up.  I thanked him for being here and for everything that he has done, and he turned it around on me, and said I thank all of you people for carrying it on.  What a guy.  So sweet, so cool, tough on the inside, but soft on the outside.  He speaks the truth as far as I'm concerned and no one will EVER convince me that that film wasn't real.  I challenge a skeptic to listen to him talk about it if he ever does again.  I was just one of the lucky few that heard it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is a picture of him with an emotional reaction after receiving a 5 minute standing ovation at Salt Fork State Park, Ohio Bigfoot Conference 2014.

Long live Bob Gimlin!

post-23451-0-46069100-1400828856_thumb.j

Edited by Hammer102492
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for that excellent post Hammer!!!

I'm glad that the people there were respectful of him. It's amazing to me that he will even speak about it after over 40 years of the mockery & contempt that he must have suffered.

I never really knew how much ridicule he has experienced from this video. I do not believe that had this video happened today that any of this would have happened. Times have changed.