N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

^^ Exactly. 

I will never understand how DWA can constantly claim to being a skeptic and then say things like the below statement. That is the very antithesis of skeptical. According to that statement one should believe everything one is told or reads unless there is contradictory evidence. I'm sorry but that is not even in the same universe as skeptical. Especially when the claim in question has zero supporting evidence. So you don't need evidence to believe a claim, but you must have evidence before you question one?  Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

"There's no basis for questioning what someone says unless one has evidence that they're lying."   DWA

Edited by dmaker

Surely 'evidence' supporting the reports would either be refuted (pics and vids) or spend years in transit (DNA). If what they want is completely irrefutable evidence, such as a body (with hopefully most of a head left) why would you bother with anything else just to try and prove to others that what they think is happening is real.

I know that this forum needs it's sceptics to stop others flying too close to the sun. But personally, I don't see the draw.

Just my 2p

CC

Edited by WV FOOTER
Edit Objectionable Material

^^ Odd. On the one hand you claim to recognize the need for skeptical opinion here as a temper to the more outlandish claims, then on the other hand you question the behavior of anyone who would come here to fill that role. 

But there are no hard questions to ask.  Bipto's take on what he's been getting from dissenters is utterly spot on.  There's no basis for questioning what someone says unless one has evidence that they're incorrect.  

There, fixed.

Bipto could have put me and all other 'dissenters' lmao on ignore. He could have kept the information train running for those who buy into what he's claiming.

But then even proponents began questioning his claims so he took his ball home altogether.

I predict this will be the beginning of an exit strategy from area x by year's end.

Unfortunate for those who follow his chronicles, but I think the 2ft oak tree will turn out to have been his own undoing.

• Upvote 1

^^ Odd. On the one hand you claim to recognize the need for skeptical opinion here as a temper to the more outlandish claims, then on the other hand you question the behavior of anyone who would come here to fill that role.

Yeah, I know. I just don't think I could spend my time doing it (no disrespect intended) letting sleeping dogs lie etc. I do appreciate your service though. :)

I sometimes visit ATS forums and some/most of their threads go pretty unchecked. Sometimes it gets quite out of hand.

Can you see what I'm getting at with regards to evidence?

CC

I think that the point a lot of us have made - and not just here - is that the reason some people, bipto prominent among them, post here is simply to share what's going on, in a field that the scientific mainstream ignores, and their comments show their ignorance.

I'd consider it obvious to the greater share of the enrollment of your average public grade school that this isn't gonna come with proof of every single thing said.  Nor is that the purpose.

But I allow that I may have gone to an exceptional - and no it wasn't public - grade school.  

... and that's fine, but you have to expect questions from both the proponent and the skeptical. That's what a forum is all about, really.

• Upvote 2

I think that the point a lot of us have made - and not just here - is that the reason some people, bipto prominent among them, post here is simply to share what's going on, in a field that the scientific mainstream ignores, and their comments show their ignorance.

I'd consider it obvious to the greater share of the enrollment of your average public grade school that this isn't gonna come with proof of every single thing said.  Nor is that the purpose.

But I allow that I may have gone to an exceptional - and no it wasn't public - grade school.  

I don't understand your dichotomy. You constantly claim to be a skeptic, yet you stand here proposing that claims--without any evidence--should go unquestioned.  Skepticism is about challenging claims. Asking for evidence to support claims that lack enough, or any, supporting evidence. How can you claim to be a skeptic while advocating at the same time that claims should go unchallenged and in fact chiding those that do challenge claims?

The only thing I have seen you be skeptical about is just about anything that challenges the bigfoot claim. Anything that remotely supports it you embrace fully with no challenge offered. 

Edited by dmaker

In his defense, DWA may have lost his "compass," Bipto. If anyone was wrapped up in and enthralled with all things NAWAC, it was the report-reading self-proclaimed scientist.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the BFF should have a "SHARE" page designated.  Everyone could tell their tales and no one can comment...  

t.

Well perhaps DWA is frantically searching the BFRO report database for claims of healthy two foot diameter trees being snapped at the base. I doubt it, though, because I asked him earlier to list all the North American animals that he believes to be capable of such a feat. He claims to believe that NAWAC are simply reporting behavior common to many known animals and that anyone challenging that assertion just does not know anything about animals. I have yet to see a response addressing that question.   

Edited by dmaker

CavemanChris:  I understand you as favoring skepticism.  Jeff Meldrum is skeptical.  Grover Krantz was skeptical.  John Bindernagel is skeptical.  When they have their scientist hats on, scientists are skeptical.

Your upset at the 'skeptics' you're encountering here stems from this:  they aren't skeptical.  Their entire 'position' is a tissue of assumptions.  What 'skeptic' means is someone who questions anything that isn't backed by evidence.

The reason you couldn't do what the 'skeptics' you read here are doing is that it's basically true belief:  a firm conviction repeated over and over and over, in the face of all the evidence that it is incorrect.  That's not fun; it's not particularly intellectually stimulating...and it sure isn't science, as my quote down there illustrates.

'Skeptic' is rarely more inappropriately used than it is when it comes to this topic.  Bipto is skeptical.  That's why he and NAWAC are taking the scientific approach:  it's based on evidence and the very diametric opposite of true belief that something can't be so because...it....can't...!!!!