N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Umm, err, you're never going to get a straight answer out of the guy.

The people paying attention to this subject and have read up on it can tell you that.

This is ongoing rhetoric on a Bigfoot Forum. There's nothing remotely Scientific going on here.

Bipto went to Disneyland and promptly left.

That's all that happened here.

That's all that happened here.

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

Understood. I too was being sarcastic.

Happy belated Canada Day, btw.

We played a 50th bday party in the woods and not a booger in sight.

The infrared of the fireworks and tube amps must've scared them off.

Happy belated Canada Day to you as well. I made a 5 day weekend out of it.

Happy July 4th to our American members today!

^^ Well, if it makes you feel better, I am sure there will be no end of unsupported claims to be found here in other threads. 

Wow, another valuable contributor run off the forum.  Sad to see him go.

How can anyone be run off of the forum?

Bipto is always welcome on the BFF.

Well, I personally wouldn't keep coming here if I were on the cutting edge of the science, and my observations about what is going on at my research site - which I am in no way obliged to provide -  were constantly met with "that can't be happening and I don't know why so I'll just keep saying it can't be happening."

Shame to lose a valued contributor to that, no matter the reason.

Would that all should see the light that Bipto has seen

but for those of us who are still in the darkness, we

continue

Bipto, your presence here will be missed, as well the wisdom and

opinions you brought to the subject.

I hope that the NAWAC will obtain a specimen leading to the ultimate

acceptance of this creature as scientific fact.

Well, I personally wouldn't keep coming here if I were on the cutting edge of the science, and my observations about what is going on at my research site - which I am in no way obliged to provide -  were constantly met with "that can't be happening and I don't know why so I'll just keep saying it can't be happening."

I'm perplexed as to how anyone can expect to publish details about an ongoing investigation without expecting any questioning, negative or otherwise. If you make claims on a public forum, you're bound to generate responses. If anyone expects to simply come here and chronicle their experiences without a critique, they are sadly out of touch. This also goes for those that expect only positive responses to such claims, as well.

Just as those that claim things to be happening, those that don't think so can express their opinions, too.

• Upvote 2

Anecdotes with no supporting evidence are not the cutting edge of science.

I just went to my lab and created a time machine. No, seriously. You just have to trust me. I have proof but you will have to wait 20 years because that's where I put it.

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 1

well said See, so a couple of plusses for these , and here's why....

Do you honestly expect everyone to believe you based on your word alone? Surely you wouldn't do likewise of others claiming to see some of the things you've claimed.

Don't blame the forum for your exit. You could present evidence to substantiate your claims at any time, as well as giving the skeptics something to chew on.

long ago in BFF 1, iirc, I started some  of those threads about skeptics / why they get involved, why pro BF with no sightings want to "bleev"  etc ....... seems I remember Bip chiming in somewhere about how a dose of skepticism was needed when considering the BF phenomena, and should be expected and good for the discussions.......

why make that point and then not expect it to be applied to yourself ?

also,considering Bips pot shots at BFF2........... fwiw, a big part of  his BFF 1 was much more skeptically  minded .

saskeptic , Parnassus and crew were much more aggressive in going after the BF stories than what we see now.  the back and forth there made it more the sideshow . it certainly wasn't a research sight.

BFF 2 is a more accepting forum , imo , or you wouldn't have the "habituating BF" or paranormal BF threads we have now.

... and that's fine, but you have to expect questions from both the proponent and the skeptical. That's what a forum is all about, really.

agreed again, I've been on forums where almost every one agreed .

while its great to see all get along for a while,  the fact was the forums dry up eventually.

without an opposing viewpoint sooner or later the discussions fizzle out when everyone runs out of high fives and "cool story bro's " .

the discussion dies, its that simple.

• Upvote 4

Well, I'm all for the expression of opinions.  But when nothing's backing them up, and all we get, over and over, is the same old same old "it can't happen and I can give you nothing that backs that up, ...so it isn't," the discussion stagnates, too.  It's just a different kind of stagnation.  But it's still stagnation.

It would be one thing if the 'skeptical' viewpoint - and anything that relies wholly on assumptions that are demonstrably invalid isn't skeptical - kept leading the discussion on into new areas.

But it doesn't.  It just makes the folks who have something to contribute, well, leave.  And it demonstrates, over and over, that some are coming here expecting to have something handed to them on a platter.  Some of us have had an active interest in this; have read up on it; and have taken up the argument of the scientific proponents not because, well, they're scientists and infallible, but because when we read them, we found they were, through the assiduous pro bono application of the scientific method, independently validating what we already were thinking.  When one reads a scientist's negative opinion on this topic, and one reads the scientist's statements and can clearly see that he's simply not doing, not only what the proponents have done but what one has done for oneself, the opinion of that scientist becomes rather resoundingly invalid.  As the opinion of anyone, regardless of training, who hasn't done one's homework should be to one who has.

I'm just not sure how repeating NO, NO, NO, NO!; siding with people who have demonstrably done no more than your average urban denier at a party; and repeating it over and over thousands of times, stacks up against that.  To folk like bipto, it obviously doesn't.  There's nothing really to bring him here anymore, so why should he come here?

We just lose what he was bringing...which is the only close to sustained scientific field work being done on the very subject matter of these forums.

Well, I'm all for the expression of opinions.  But when nothing's backing them up, and all we get, over and over, is the same old same old "it can't happen and I can give you nothing that backs that up, ...so it isn't," the discussion stagnates, too.  It's just a different kind of stagnation.  But it's still stagnation.

Couldn't the same be said for bipto? He offered no evidence, and saying that it was never his intent to do so is not any better than saying that the skeptics can't give anything to substantiate their opinion.

Stagnation seems to be defined as allowing others to be critical of unsubstantiated claims. To me, stagnation is humoring the claims of others without asking them to substantiate their claims, all while walking on eggshells in an effort to avoid offending the person making the claims.

I've raised my child, so I'm pretty much done with making an effort to boost egos, or should I say avoiding the truth to keep from offending. People have to learn that there is no right to avoid offense, and if they can't post their incredible, unsubstantiated claims to a forum without being able to handle a differing opinion or criticism, and want to take their tales elsewhere, then that's up to them.

I wish the guy all the success in the world, but if he can't handle the skeptical and skeptical proponents questioning him here on the BFF, how's he going to handle an inquiry from the scientific community, who'll certainly critique his claims unless...

... it's accompanied by evidence, which is where all of this got started from - Claims that lacked evidence.

If bipto wants to return and present evidence along with his claims, or continue to give unsubstantiated accounts, he's more than welcome.

• Upvote 4

I totally disagree, and could not possibly disagree more, that bipto has no evidence backing him up.

There is A LOT of evidence backing him up, and everything with this volume and consistency of evidence science has searched for, and confirmed.

Other than this, which isn't even being considered by people who frankly should know much better.  And who could not make it clearer that they don't have a rational basis for their opinion.  Which a scientist is kinda required to have.

Given this volume and consistency of evidence, 'this couldn't be happening, and isn't, and I'm gonna hound you on it until you prove it to me which...oh by the way you are actually trying to do' is a baseless position, and to use Meldrum's phrase, frankly indefensible.  One might as well go on astronomy sites yelling 'black holes aren't real until one crushes our planet and spits it out in another universe.  Then I'll accept them.'  (How long do you think that would be tolerated on an astronomy site?)  The evidence for sasquatch is considerably more understandable, tangible, and voluminous than that for black holes, on which we are frankly taking the word of people whose exposition of the basis for their belief few if any here would understand.  Anyone who disagrees simply hasn't read up on this topic.  (Nor much I'll wager on black holes either.)

What is the point of continually criticizing somebody who has said, from the beginning, that sharing experiences until they garner the proof is what he is here to do, and whose entire effort is coming up with the proof...until he comes up with just that?  We know what bipto thinks.  And I agree with him.