Missing Person: Saint Helens Area

HOLDMYBEER

For those who pursue the idea of sasquatches kidnapping people here is another: http://www.kgw.com/news/Mt-St-Helens-search-called-off-for-missing-Japanese-man--235484131.html

I don't subscribe to the concept of predatory sasquatches but I present this as insight into the nature of the area. People come up here and disappear frequently. This is 12 miles from the location where the young lady disappeared with only a fanny pack. All sorts of history in the St. Helens area but I truly believe mother nature sans sasquatch accounts for it all. And this is not a particularly 'wild' area.

It will come down to how they find the remains, if they do. This is the roundabout area that Sasquatch Chronicles covers, and they do the 'aggressive bigfoot' shows. There are other areas where people disappear 'regularly', that are heavily BF areas. 

Of course,humans are our own number 1 predator, but this area is known for 'cannibal squatch' Indian stories.

Edited by Wag

This is an article from Dec 11 of last year. Why put it up now?

And yes, that area has a high frequency of unexplained disappearances. It may not be the most wild of areas based on distance from metro areas, but I would think it would take just a mile or so off any road to be in some extremely heavy, steep, and wild terrain. BF certainly doesn't have to be the cause, but to minimize the inherent danger of this area is not wise.

Guest keninsc

Sadly, people do go missing all the time. A number of times I have gone to hike an area only to actually spend the day or what time I had allotted to helping in a search for a missing hiker. My most unusual experience was I was hiking along the Chattahoochee River in Georgia and came across two guys. One had tripped, or fallen and either badly twisted his ankle or broke it. Nether one of them had a blessed thing as far as gear or preparation was concerned, they didn't even have a knife. The one guy is hurt the other guy is of no use at all, I swear I don't think he'd ever been off pavement in his life, so I wound up splinting up the guys ankle and and started making a litter. While I was doing that I asked the one guy why he didn't walk back to the parking area and call for help on the emergency phone that was there. He said, and I am not making this up, "I was afraid I'd get lost." You need to understand that the trail was a very clearly defined path, just short of being a sidewalk, he'd have had to have been blind and stupid to loose his way. So I asked him how long they'd been out there and he said it happened about four hours earlier. I said, "Dude, you could have walked back, called for help they would have come and your Buddy would be at a hospital now, and very likely getting discharged by now." He just looked at me with the vacant, "What are you talking about" stare. Anyway, then then I told him we'd carry the guy to the parking lot he didn't want to carry one end of the litter. I had to go Marine on him and encourage him to help out, apparently this was a significant emotional experience for him. 

Anyway, we got back to the parking area and I called for assistance, the Rangers came and started getting the information for their reports. The ambulance came and they hauled him off to the hospital. I looked at the Ranger and asked if this sort of thing happened a lot and he laughed. "More times than you can imagine."

I fear that with so much time passing there will not be a good ending to this story. The only real question will be was it an accident or something else.

Of course,humans are our own number 1 predator, but this area is known for 'cannibal squatch' Indian stories.

Cannibal Squatches? They eat each other or predator squatches?

This is an article from Dec 11 of last year. Why put it up now?

And yes, that area has a high frequency of unexplained disappearances. It may not be the most wild of areas based on distance from metro areas, but I would think it would take just a mile or so off any road to be in some extremely heavy, steep, and wild terrain. BF certainly doesn't have to be the cause, but to minimize the inherent danger of this area is not wise.

The fellow is still missing. I drove through the area up to Trapper Creek Wilderness and saw signs posted about this fellow and Ms Kelly.  I haven't seen this case mentioned on this forum. It is much more recent than the stuff contained in the '411' book thread.

there is another man missing that I never saw posted here. He is my cousins daughter's boyfriend. He and another friend of his were spelunking in the big lave field south of Goose lake. The two some how got separated and a search was started for the missing man. I think the search went on for about two weeks, ground search and aerial search. The search ended with no real evidence found.  This was last fall, there was some bad weather days and some good days during the search. 

One thing that area is very rugged. At that time there were three other hikers who had been rescued by searches in the area. here is an article.

http://www.kptv.com/story/23580594/searches-under-way-for-4-missing-people-in-gifford-pinchot-national-forest

Guest JiggyPotamus

I do think it is possible for sasquatch to kidnap people, as I think there is something to many of the characteristics described by Native Americans, one of which is kidnapping. However, I don't think it is something that would happen all that often. In this particular case I do not think bigfoot is a likely explanation, mainly because of two statements made in the article. First, that he was hitchhiking. That is not known for being 100% safe. While there are nice people who simply will give someone a ride, there are also people who will stop for not so noble reasons. I would imagine a hitchhiker is like a beacon to a serial killer, for instance.

The other statement was that he wished to climb the mountain. I don't know how much experience he had in climbing, or whether he was equipped to do so, but the particular wilderness he was in is not a place to mess around. It is quite wild, like any other large wilderness area. So someone without the necessary training or equipment could easily become lost or stranded, there is the possibility of injury, etc...

And unless one can discount all of those more plausible ideas, bigfoot should not really be considered. One of the other main reasons I give credence to sasquatch kidnapping is the strange nature of some of the disappearances. The idea of toddlers too young to talk ending up miles away from their last known location for instance, or other things that just don't add up. Many of those thing have been mentioned here on the forums in the past, and I'm assuming many of these became known only after "Missing 411" came out. There are some very strange incidents that have occurred.

I have documented at least 2 people in Colorado I felt could have been Squatch related. Indians described them as being 'cannibalistic', and that they kidnap women and children most, especially in hard winters (Oklahoma for example) Canada has the 'trail of tears' where Indian women go missing alot. Just a couple examples.

Holdmybeer,

Thanks for sharing this story (although sad and I feel sympathy for the family).

There are not many clues in the article with regard to where he went after he left the Cougar Deli. 

It is not clear if he continued on the road hitchhiking or if he ever got to the mountain.

I have been considering buying the Spot (see link below) for when I backpack solo.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

I have documented at least 2 people in Colorado I felt could have been Squatch related. Indians described them as being 'cannibalistic', and that they kidnap women and children most, especially in hard winters (Oklahoma for example) Canada has the 'trail of tears' where Indian women go missing alot. Just a couple examples.

The area in Canada is called the 'highway of tears' and it's been suspected the doing of a serial killer. Anywhere there's a major trucking route you tend to have women go missing or turn up dead. We've have truck driver serial killers here in the US too.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/Murder/Highway%20of%20tears.htm

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/05/local/me-serialkillers5

Guest keninsc

Usually whenever someone goes missing there is a sort of unwritten rule that other hikers follow in that we help in the search effort. Someone might still be save-able and alive. I know that on several occasions I've helped out with a search, most times we managed to locate the lost person without too much trouble, but a couple times we couldn't.

This is why I recommend a plan of action for the lost, including woodknocking at high hours. Of course, Woodknocking may not be what you want to do in an aggressive squatch area, but for location finding, it may work for half-mile, if done at top-hour/half-hour, it gives a general time to listen for it. But no such generalized information testing has been done yet. I guess I could try to set it up as a small-business and try to get a registry going, after testing.

I do think it is possible for sasquatch to kidnap people, as I think there is something to many of the characteristics described by Native Americans, one of which is kidnapping. However, I don't think it is something that would happen all that often. In this particular case I do not think bigfoot is a likely explanation, mainly because of two statements made in the article. First, that he was hitchhiking. That is not known for being 100% safe. While there are nice people who simply will give someone a ride, there are also people who will stop for not so noble reasons. I would imagine a hitchhiker is like a beacon to a serial killer, for instance.

The other statement was that he wished to climb the mountain. I don't know how much experience he had in climbing, or whether he was equipped to do so, but the particular wilderness he was in is not a place to mess around. It is quite wild, like any other large wilderness area. So someone without the necessary training or equipment could easily become lost or stranded, there is the possibility of injury, etc...

And unless one can discount all of those more plausible ideas, bigfoot should not really be considered. One of the other main reasons I give credence to sasquatch kidnapping is the strange nature of some of the disappearances. The idea of toddlers too young to talk ending up miles away from their last known location for instance, or other things that just don't add up. Many of those thing have been mentioned here on the forums in the past, and I'm assuming many of these became known only after "Missing 411" came out. There are some very strange incidents that have occurred.

As usual, Jiggy has expressed a logical opinion in an eloquent manner. Thanks. I'll add that if he did to up the mountain, BFs might target lone humans especially when BFs are starving. They might be smart enough to know single humans have no partners to go back and report the dastardly deed. If BFs don't hibernate, they need easy meals during the late fall and winter.

In SC there is a father and his 6 and 10 year old sons missing in Congaree NP since Saturday. (can't paste link for some reason)