Missing Person: Saint Helens Area

HOLDMYBEER

Last week I had my field strip from hell.  ... ... ....

Well that sucked. Glad you finally made it out. Remember some time back, someone got back to their truck after several days out, and bears had chewed practically every tire off it for some reason.

BFF Patron

That would really be bad.    Why in the world were they eating the tires?   Wonder if the tires had some sort of wax tire dressing on them that smelled like bees wax.    Have had them chew up stuff in camp but never gone after my truck. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Could have been early/late in season when there was salt on tires I guess. My cat chews plastic, in investigating reason for that, it's been said that some of the plasticisers may be similar to some hormones or pheromones, (Which is part of why microwaving in plastic might be bad also I think. Chemically similar so taken up by body.) so modern tires could have similar issues in some formulations.

BFF Patron

Had not thought of salt but that would be a good guess.   With most tires made in China now, who knows what is mixed in with the rubber too.  Human remains ash?     Every time you turn around they find something toxic in Chinese products like kids toys. 

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I have said this before in other threads, but it is so timely here too. Some people have this ignorant mindset that the remote areas of the U.S. have magically become a tame, safe environment like it is a Disneyland and they go out and explore it like there will be a safety or first aid station just around the corner. Having made no preparation what-so-ever for the unexpected, they blindly venture out with no solid plans or directions in place.

There is a wise old saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Having the means and abilities in place to defend, feed, shelter and guide yourself out there may never be needed, but having it in place on your person could be the difference between life and death should you run into the unexpected conditions. Weather can suddenly change, snakes, bears, hogs etc. do exist out there and do not make great wilderness friends.

I was day packing in a heavily wooded public park legally minding my own business when three (Not one!) loose Pit Bull dogs suddenly crashed out of the brush and charged me! I had no place to run, hide or climb! My 45 ACP saved my life that day! Had I not been prudently carrying it, I doubt I would be typing this entry today...bad things do happen to good people out there! To naively think differently make no sense at all!

Good story, also need water for 3 days, extra food, camp stove, large stabbing knife minimal. I have to have all that plus a sleeping bag, meds in the truck when I go out, plus I may take a bike along just in case. Couldn't get the air pump to work one time on a tire, it was just leaking out, not a good feeling. No one thinks about ferel dog packs when you go out, they just had that on the 'Walking Dead' last week.

Edited by Wag

Plenty of deer for the taking - they don't take humans

Lets see....

Bigfoot: 7.5 - 9 Ft tall, 400-800 lbs, very fast, extremely strong, thought to be highly intelligent, omnivorous, known to hunt, kill and eat deer, elk, livestock and an occasional pet.

Which would be easier to catch and eat?  A deer or a lost, dehydrated hiker...

I don't think humans are the specific target of BF but like any omnivorous and opportunistic predator, they will likely grab whatever they can, with a minimal risk of life or limb.

Lets see....

Bigfoot: 7.5 - 9 Ft tall, 400-800 lbs, very fast, extremely strong, thought to be highly intelligent, omnivorous, known to hunt, kill and eat deer, elk, livestock and an occasional pet.

Which would be easier to catch and eat?  A deer or a lost, dehydrated hiker...

I don't think humans are the specific target of BF but like any omnivorous and opportunistic predator, they will likely grab whatever they can, with a minimal risk of life or limb.

That is probably too broad a catagory. There are specific conditions which this may occur, not just random easy hiker. Probably some monkey-see monkey doo going on, cultural aspects of human-napping being handed down, rogue angry BF dealing with pesky humans, etc. But given that there is probably human interaction on a daily or weekly basis during camping season, this would be a small % of negative interactions.

The main question is: What are the trigger situations for this. We know that older bears/cougars will attack humans because they are getting near the end of their functional life. That is not neccessarily why a squatch does this though.

Edited by Wag

, large stabbing knife minimal.

I'd actually like to rig a hiking pole with a bayonet mount... (It's kinda unpossible to port firearms casually anywhere in Canada, you're either in breach of hunting regs or firearm regs, unless you are specifically hunting a designated area for designated quarry at time.) ... anyway, some weapon of last resort more effective than nearest stick.

SSR Team

I'm not surprised OP: level 3 and 4 BFs have been sighted in the US PNW before.

What are level 3 and 4 BF ?

Well general public only see level ones, after you become a knower you can see level twos, and then graduate to level threes after you've seen more, eventually you can be at level 7s and they're everywhere and serve you coffee and vacuum, taking orders by telepathy......

Just kidding. I guess he means type 3 and type 4. 

SSR Team

I guess he means type 3 and type 4. 

What are they ?

• Upvote 1

Not sure I got this quite right, they're a supposed government classification scheme from Bigfoot Hotspot "deep throat" source who they name "Mr Black"

Type 1: Patty Type (Aka "conehead")

Type 2: Southern Type (Roundhead?)

Type 3: Baboon faced "dogman" type seen only in Mississippi drainage area.

Type 4: Smaller, (But still big) less hairy more relict neanderthally Eastern type.

Edited by Flashman2.0