Missing Person: Saint Helens Area

HOLDMYBEER

SSR Team

Plenty of deer for the taking - they don't take humans

That's a romantic assumption only.

Certainly not definitive.

The father and his sons in SC were found already.  Seems like a normal hiking mistake - amateurs in rough area with no food, water, supplies, or a plan.

Guest keninsc

The father and his sons in SC were found already.  Seems like a normal hiking mistake - amateurs in rough area with no food, water, supplies, or a plan.

Yeah, but consider that they were only about two miles away from help. They had no food or water or any basic "stuff", even one of those little survival kit things that I scoff at all the time would have been something. Just goes to show how you can get into trouble in no time flat. The way they knew they were in trouble was he managed to text someone that he was lost just before his cell phone died and the friend he texted didn't think it was a joke.

The father and his sons in SC were found already.  Seems like a normal hiking mistake - amateurs idiots in rough area with no food, water, supplies, or a plan.

Fixed it for ya Shelly!

• 2 weeks later...

From personal experience, bad things do happen out there in the woods.  Just because we live in the 21st century doesn't mean the wilderness areas have suddenly become user friendly and you can easily tab to delete if you don't like something.

I was hiking by myself in a remote section of woods known for Bigfoot activity, but I was there scoping out possible fishing holes along the creek.  The weather was cool and sunny, a peaceful day just enjoying it all and not bothering anyone.

Suddenly, I heard a fierce growl and a large barrel chested Pit Bull dog broke out of the brush about 100 yards away then two other broke out behind them.  I had no where to run hide or climb and just quietly stood by the tree waiting.  They were tracking me by scent, but it didn't take them long to spot me and charged full speed bearing teeth and snarling.

I tell this story as a case in point.  Unexpected things do happen out there and to think differently is being very foolish!  You must expect and prepare for the unexpected and have a plan in place for it!

In my case, I NEVER...NEVER...go out into the woods without a large bore handgun!  You won't ever see it, but it is there if I ever need it!

In this case, that backup plan saved me from serious injury or more likely death!  I could see fighting off one with a stick, but three-no way! 

Prepare for the worst and expect the best out there folks...my plan saved my life.

Hello midnoght Owl,

Thank You for bringing this up. First off, I glad you survived that event. Most would expect dogs to calm down once a Human was recognized as such. I know that would be my first expectation, and not what was judged an obviously destructive course.

Laws regarding dogs vary state to state when it comes to a bite as well. Some states have a one-bite law where the dog is watched and if it bites a second time it's gone. In Maine there IS no one bite rule. If an owner's dog bites someone that someone by law can kill it on the spot. Some states just will not tolerate a dog bite- even one.
The Maine:

"Chapter 727. Dangerous Dogs
§ 3951. Killing for assault permitted

Any person may lawfully kill a dog if necessary to protect that person, another person or a domesticated animal during the course of a sudden, unprovoked assault.

CREDIT(S)

1987, c. 383, § 3; 1997, c. 690, § 34."

Edited by hiflier

There are two fairly recent ones from the NW area of the US. ( within past year at least ) I'm not saying they were abducted by bigfoot, but no trace of these people were ever found. It's like they just vanished into thin air. Definitely makes me think twice about going into the woods alone.

http://www.kptv.com/story/22548141/search-on-for-missing-woman-at-washington-campground

The other one was a man who went fishing in Oregon. They never found him or his bait and tackle.

I can't find an article, but a friend who helped look for him, told me about it.

BFF Patron

The area where the naked woman disappeared is very remote and rugged.   It is in a deep gorge with a large stream running through.   I have spent time there looking for BF on the ground.     After she went missing I did some air search there with my airplane too.     The forest is so dense that she could be a couple of hundred feet away from a road (there are no trails)  and you would not know she is there.       I think because any movement on her part had to have been on a road (no trails in the area) and the fact she was naked, I think in this case it most likely she encountered a human with evil intent and he disposed of the body in the woods someplace.      A woman berry hunter in East Skamania county that disappeared in the last year has not been found either.    We live in an age where citified people go into the woods totally unprepared and with no emergency supplies and expect to be saved by their cell phones.   The wilderness can be a very unforgiving place for the ill prepared.     Randy

• 9 months later...

That's why humans don't kill humans too.

After reading some of the comments postulated in reply to the alleged campfire incidents, I am beginning to think they’re right! It has to be one of several things causing people to go missing: A bill collector, a snake, a skunk, a bear, a meth head leaving large foot tracks, drunks, intentional disappearances, an accidental happening and so forth. While many of these do occur in National or State Parks, I simply cannot for the life of me understand why I can’t “gift†animals in the wild outdoors …

BFF Patron

This is an old thread.   The Japanese man was found August 18, 2014 at the 7000 level on Mt St Helens.    Probably dead as the result of a fall and slide down the South face.   August is usually a month with the least snow on the mountain so his body probably melted out and became visible.    The naked hiker woman has never been found. 

Last week I had my field strip from hell.   Went to the area where I had an encounter in 2011 just to see if there was an sign of activity.   Hiked around and did not see anything.    Went back to my truck and my right front tire was completely flat.   I carry an electric air pump but the tire was part way off the rim.     The tire was down in a hole and difficult to get a jack under the axle.   With dark coming,  I was in a hurry due to fading daylight.   Got it part way up and the jack slipped.   Repositioned the jack and got the tire up.    I went to the spare but could not get it off it mounting.     Tried and tried.   So with the tire off it was back seated onto the rim so used the electric air pump and got it pumped up to normal pressure.    Did not hear any air leaking so figured maybe I could get it on and at least get out to the main county road before it went flat again.   No cell coverage at all and I knew it was miles to the nearest cell coverage.    So put the tire back on, drove out to the county road and checked and of course the tire was flat again.    A couple of people stopped said they would call my tire place that has road side service,  but no one apparently did.     I kept trying and finally figured out the right tool to get the spare tire to lower down, got it off and put on just before sunset.     Anyway something as simple as a tire problem can get you even when you have a vehicle.    The woods are a place like it or not, that you are pretty much on your own if something goes wrong. 

It would appear, and I could be mistaken in which case I m apologizing in advance but one of the missing girls out of Washington in a 1970’s case popped up in an old news article, about  some search and rescuer volunteers finding a corpse or corpses with very large footprints around the scene. The interesting puzzle to this is the missing person apparently was a known victim of one America’s more notorious serial killers of that era. It totally astounds me because he (the predator) was suspected of preying on college coeds in Michigan around the same time period.  

Newspaper article:

Three Spanaway searchers combing a densely wooded hillside near Issaquah last weekend claim they found a half dozen enormous footprints. The searchers discovered what they think are Sasquatch tracks during a search for more bodies in an area where the remains of two Seattle-area women were found last summer. The searchers were Mrs. Marie Watson, a member of Northwest Bloodhounds Search and Rescue Team, her son Robert, 18, and a friend, Jay Stockwell. The trio was planning for a major search scheduled for the area next Sunday. The area was where partial remains of Janice Ott, Denise Naslund and an unidentified woman were found last summer. Mrs. Watson said the huge prints appeared to have been made with a bare foot and were imbedded an inch into the mud. She estimated they had been there a week. Robert, who wears a size 10 1/2 shoe, said the prints were six inches longer and three inches wider than his boots. The stride between tracks was much longer than a man's, he said. Mrs. Watson, a well-known and experienced Northwest tracker, said the prints definitely were not human. "They were not from human feet," she said. "The one I examined had a kind of thumb and an arch." Mrs. Watson said she was frightened by the size of the tracks and somewhat fearful since her bloodhounds had been left home. "I wasn't even thinking about a Sasquatch, and when I saw them, I thought My God in Heaven," she said. Mrs. Watson isn't sure what made the deep tracks in the lonely woods above Issaquah, but something big obviously did, she said. The question is - What was it?  Searchers report huge footprints, Tacoma News Tribune, Wednesday, February 19, 1975, Wa

Edited by Gumshoeye

BFF Patron

Thanks Gumshoe:    That report shows what happens when experienced searchers are out looking with a purpose.   Looking for bodies they found the BF footprint.  And they had the tracking knowledge to know it was not human.     The first footprint I found did not last 30 minutes.   I found it, photographed it, and went up trail hoping to find a better one.    This was just the front half of a huge foot that was 6 inches across at the toes.   Anyway as I went up the trail I was passed by a group of 4 people with 2 dogs.   I did not see anything up further so turned around and when I got back to the footprint that group had completely obliterated it with their own footprints.     If that group had any interest in footprints they would have been gathered around it looking at it.