Ptsd And Bf Sitings

clubbedfoot

anyone have any information re the thread topic? It seems like many people who've had class A encounters can be pretty messed up....nightmares, scared to go back into the woods, etc., etc.,....

Guest keninsc

I know two of my friend who both saw a Bigfoot up close and personal quit hunting and stopped going in the woods for anything for any reason. I've heard of other doing the same but have no link to anything.

good topic. I've never really felt much fear going into the forest by myself.

Recently going into the forest alone has me wondering, feeling anxious. I wondered too if all the hype in the past few years has created the anxiety.

I hope I don't start seeing every sound,shadow or movement as Bigfoot.

What I would like is to see one in the open middle of the day at a distance. I guarantee if I did I would probably never go into the forest again. LOL 

Talked to a guy once said he saw one (as he called it something hairy and no human and no bear). Said after his sighting he couldn't go near a window at night for fear of it being there. Woods didn't bother him. Just windows at night. Something about that he said made him uneasy. Like it was going to reach in and grab him or it's face would just be right there. He said he also could not sit next to a window at night or with his back to one. 

His sighting was in a house. They (him and a friend or two) heard noise outside. Bangs and like a clapping. He looked out the window and nothing. sound happen again. He looked again nothing. Did this a few times. On about the 4th time he looked out it hit the window and looked at him. He said it growled or smiled didn't know which. It just made him hate windows at night. 

BFF Patron

There are many reported sightings by hunters who refuse to go hunting again.   Probably more sightings by hunters that never report them that do.     I think there are two cases of witness reports.    People who do not believe at all in even the possibility of BF who have an encounter and those that witness one who are not sure.      If you are in the first case, and have an encounter, your mind has to deal with the fear if this great big thing,   and completely overhaul your belief system.    Those that are not sure just accept them as real and deal with the fear.    PTSD is aways a possibility when some event instills great fear.      BF sightings can send you right to counseling or maybe should send you.    The problem there is how the counselor deals with it.     If they don't believe then they treat you for something imaginary.     If they do, then they can treat you for fear from a real event.     The first case may do more harm than good.  

As I have said the best BF witness is someone who has seen one before.      They have gotten past the what is it crisis,  know what they are seeing, can look at details of anatomy,  know that since they were not killed the first time, it is unlikely they will be killed the second time, so fear is not as large a factor.  

Do you think it is more likely that Bigfoot causes a Disorder, or more likely that a disorder causes the Bigfoot sighting? 

I mean really, someone sees an apeman are they really getting PTSD from such an encounter?  There are war vets who have been through horrible situations that have PTSD, Why would someone who saw an unusual animal be claiming that they have PTSD?  

I wouldnt call it post traumatic stress disorder, I think that's a bit extreme, but maybe with certain people and depending on how sensitive their mental capabilities are, it might be just that.

I can tell you this.  In the early 1980's, when I was a teenager, I saw something that was no illusion, was not something I dreamed up, and was not a mis-identification of a known animal.  

There's no way for me to prove it happened, and I've always been ok with those more skeptically inclined to doubt or even scoff at what i've described.   It's not important for me (unlike some i've encountered), for people to accept and believe what I've described.   I cannot say I "know" what I saw was a bigfoot, but I can say with 100% certainty that the event did happen... that I did see something, and it was not a bear, and I don't believe it was someone in a suit.

The effect it had on me as a young man, was unfortunate.   I spent several years feeling extremely uneasy going into the woods, which is something I loved dearly, and still do.   It was the thought that whatever I had seen might still be around, and it was the not knowing what the heck it was that made it seem terrifying to me at that age.

You come face to face with a bear in the woods, yea that can be anything from unnerving to downright terrifying depending on how the bear reacts, but at least you know its a BEAR.   It's identifiable, and if you've had any instruction or experience, you can predict to some extent what will happen. 

You see a dark bipedal figure covered from head to toe with hair, especially after it has followed your flight down the side of a mountain, well that's a ticket to a whole other ballgame.

It can have a powerful effect on one's psyche.   The last time I visited the farm where I spent those years of my youth, it was many years after what had happened, and yet walking up through the woods to that spot still made me feel uneasy.  But I did it, and I did it alone... because the only way you can ever overcome your fears, is to face them, and deal with it.

PTSD ?  no, not in my case, but it for sure had a lasting effect on me, and if I sit quietly, close my eyes, it's pretty darn easy to go back to that day so many years ago, and the emotions and feelings that doing so conjures up, are stronger and more potent than just about any other memories I have.

-A-

"What I would like is to see one in the open middle of the day at a distance. I guarantee if I did I would probably never go into the forest again. LOL"

daveedoe, that is exactly the type of sighting that I had about 35 years ago, but since I grew up in a region where the lore went back 150 years or more, it was more of a "Wow, that's cool, I've actually seen one for myself" reaction, and I've continued to hunt, fish, prospect, and camp out with my family in the same areas, with the hope of getting a better look at one some day. My kids are now grown, so I now go out with some local guys, researchers and skeptics, specifically looking for evidence, pictures, or a type specimen. I'm much more concerned and prepared for bear encounters, than Bigfoot problems.

BFF Patron

PTSD is a modern diagnosis.      I had an uncle that was on Guadalcanal during WWII.    He would never talk about his experiences.   That is how WWI and WWII soldiers dealt with it.  They would not talk about it.     It was called shell shock etc in those days, or if you were George Patton, cowardice.   The present day military has downplayed it and not adequately dealt with it and as a result has an extremely high rate of suicide.     I think a close face to face with a 9 or 10 foot creature that you did not know existed would certainly probably push a lot of people into PTSD.    

• Upvote 1

SSWAS, that's the way my Dad's generation ( WWII vets ) dealt with it, very little talk about their experiences to family and other civilians when they came back home, but they would open up to each other in the Legion over a few beers. Dad always got very emotional on Rememberance Day, and would sometimes tell me, his oldest son, a few details then. I think a lot of Dad's generation dealt with the stress with alcohol, rather than turning to suicide.

I agree with your last line above, an unexpected encounter by a clueless hiker/camper could be mentally and emotionally devastating.

Edited by BC witness

Guest LarryP

Why would someone who saw an unusual animal be claiming that they have PTSD?  

There's quite a difference between seeing a BF and just seeing an unusual animal, Drew. 

If I saw one during the day, I'd feel fortunate to have seen one and awestruck.

But if I saw one at night.... uh, that'd be a different story. Talk about nerves and imagination going crazy!