Ptsd And Bf Sitings

clubbedfoot

Guest lightheart

Hammer

One thing I would like to draw your attention to is that during all the experiences you have had on your property you were just by your campfire singing, dancing, laughing. You were not hunting them. You were just out there. But the night outing in Salt Fork put you into a kind of hunting mode in their territory at night. After midnight until dawn is the time when they are out and about and would definitely want to check you out to see if you present a threat.

Now that I understand a little more about them, I don't think I would choose to go out hunting them at night unless it was with a group like KB hunter who has had a number of peaceful experiences with them. There is probably a non-threatening way to approach them at night but you would still be on thin ice.

BFF Patron

I think the risk of hunting them (not necessarily with a gun) at night puts in an element of danger.    It is one thing with a static situation like camping at night, where you are sitting around your fire, and not moving around.    With that you have your comfort zone of camp, and they have theirs in the surrounding woods and can move away or observe.     But when you are moving around in their environment,  and you can believe that they think the woods are their environment,   then you risk because of inferior human night vision to blunder right into one,    or worse yet corner a curious juvenile.     One of my daytime encounters they showed me how dangerous that can be.      I heard one moving around and determined to get a glimpse, I started towards the sound of the movement I heard.     I carefully started making my way into thick underbrush and woods towards where I had heard the sound.    The sounds kept retreating and getting further away.      Then I heard a deep growl from that direction followed immediately by a crack of wood breaking behind me.     At that point I realized while I was trying to close on one, another was flanking me.   I think perhaps the crack of wood behind me was intentional because I was getting too close to the other one that growled.  Being flanked of course sufficiently scared me and I backed out.  This flanking behavior is what higher order predators do that hunt in packs.     This was in broad daylight where I had equal or better vision than they do.    At night the one drawing me in could have drawn me in close enough to reach out and grab me if it chose to do that or the flanking BF could have blocked my path to retreat.   Neither one is a good thing.    

SWWASP, I think either of the "bad" things you mention could've happened in daylight OR after dark. But they didn't happen, because the BF are not interested in hurting you. Nobody was trying to draw you in. You were advancing on them. They were simply trying to protect themselves. 

I don't think anyone is in any greater danger at night than they are during the day. You might have a better chance of getting closer to them at night, because they feel more comfortable getting closer to you, knowing our vision isn't that great. But there is no danger, whatever time of day it is. And certainly there's no danger if you speak out loud and say (like Hammer did, that time in Salt Fork) that you're not there to bother anyone. 

It's all about respect, always. And I think you are respectful, SWWASP, as are many here. The trick is to try to be as honest with yourself as you can be and try not to say to yourself, "Well, I know I'm not trying to hurt anybody, so they should let me in here." Respect means allowing the other party to determine what's comfortable for them. It means not trying to usurp control by dismissing any concerns they might have as being unwarranted. It doesn't matter whether the concerns are warranted; it only matters that the other party has them.

Try always to show that you accept whatever they have to say about their willingness to be close to you, regardless of your own feelings about that. That's genuine, unmistakable respect on your part, and it will not go unnoticed.

BFF Patron

I respect your opinion but I don't know how you can know there is no danger and none of them are interested in hurting you no matter what the situation.      If I get between Mom and junior am I safe?    I don't think so.  It is that way with most species.   Was the BF I encountered today shot at yesterday?    I can't know that.   Are they all the same temperament region to region?  I doubt it.   Yes I did advance on one and got warned with the growl.   I probably got what I deserved.  In actuality since I did not see the BF I was closing towards, for all I know it was a bear that growled and the BF behind me that broke the stick, did it to get my attention and back out, or warn the bear it was there. 

I remember a BFRO report where a witness had a bear encounter with a mother and a cub.   The witness thought he was in deep trouble until he noticed that the bear was intently staring at something other than the witness.   When he looked in the direction that the bear was staring,  he saw it was looking at a BF.   That particular encounter really shows what the pecking order in the woods is.      I honestly think they respect someone that treats them with respect but is not so terrified that they run screaming out of the woods.   I have been told the BF females are particularly upset when a male human is frightened of them.   That sounds strange but rings so true that somehow I believe it.   I would like to think that with continued contact one might choose to show itself because they know me well enough that they know I would not be too afraid to deal with it.   But their avoidance protocol seems so strong that showing has to be a truly unusual event.    The real problem with all of this is there is so little direct human/BF contact we are only guessing what is going on when there is contact.     It will take a Jane Goodall to interact long term to have any idea of what their behavior is in an given circumstance. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for having this dialogue with me, SWWASP. 

It's not that there's zero danger, when it comes to BF, but the danger is so small as to be effectively nonexistent. If you drive (or ride in) cars, you face death every time you climb in one. But every day, we put on our seatbelts (well, some of us do, anyway), cross our fingers, and start our engines. We're not crazy to do that; just realistic. Anyone who walks into the woods with his seatbelt on -- that is, an attitude of respect -- is 99.999999% likely to return from the woods that evening. Those are good odds, no?

A BF is not a bear. Unlike bears, BF recognize you as very close kin. They're not going to kill you for any reason, if they can possibly help it. Yes, they will protect their young -- but they don't need to kill you to do that. They know they only need to shake you to your core, to get you away from a child, so they'll scare you. They might scare you by throwing something, and you might get hit a lot harder than feels comfortable; but you will be fine. 

And if you're concerned about something like that happening, the way to preempt its happening is to be very clear, with your words and your actions, from the very moment you step foot in the woods, what your intentions are. You can say out loud, "I am here to take a walk in your area, and to appreciate it with you. I am not here to cause you harm. I come as a friend." I also ask permission to walk into the woods. If someone were about to trespass on your property, would you not want the same courtesy? And the same opportunity to express your approval or disapproval?

"I honestly think they respect someone that treats them with respect but is not so terrified that they run screaming out of the woods." I believe that's true. But if a BF asks you to leave their land, you can honor that request without losing your dignity. You don't have to run away screaming. You can say, "So sorry to have bothered you," and calmly walk out. That will earn you respect, for sure. 

It is not true that "there is so little direct BF/human we are only guessing what is going on when there is contact". Lots of people have ongoing contact and have documented it. Just read everything you can, and do your best not to read as a scientist. Read as a human being. See with something more than just your eyes -- use your heart and your understanding -- and you will suddenly find that you know everything you need to know to be a good neighbor to the BF.  

• Upvote 1

good topic. I've never really felt much fear going into the forest by myself.

Recently going into the forest alone has me wondering, feeling anxious. I wondered too if all the hype in the past few years has created the anxiety.

I hope I don't start seeing every sound,shadow or movement as Bigfoot.

What I would like is to see one in the open middle of the day at a distance. I guarantee if I did I would probably never go into the forest again. LOL 

I was the same as you. No fear in the woods.  I liked it that way.  In mid-Ohio, we don't have wolves, poisonous snakes, wild boar, bear, mountain lion, alligators or anything like that.  Sure, we have to put up with a wicked winter, but that makes all the other three seasons worthwhile.  And I actually like winter.  It kills most of the bad creepy crawlies.  So there I am, walking around our property as queen of the universe.  Then one day a BF shows up.  And keeps showing up.  Sometimes I believe, (fever or not), that it is getting too close and is fixated on me personally.  Whether that was the case or not, it was an uncomfortable feeling to say the least.  For two weeks I was on the selling the place talk with my husband.  He is so awesome and talked me off the ledge so to speak about this place.  That's when I went looking for help, and found BFF.  With information, there is power.  If I couldn't walk around this place and feel free, then why bother having it?  That's why we bought the place because it is so magnificently beautiful, surrounded by hills 360 degrees and lush and fruitful. 

I am MUCH better now than I was before.  It has been a year and two months that I saw it.  And two weeks later, we heard it LOUD AND CLEAR!  So now the universe is telling me that our peaceful little place in the middle of nowhere has something living here too that I cannot comprehend.  I had never heard of anyone seeing a BF in Ohio.  This just doesn't happen here, maybe in the Great Northwest, but Ohio?  Really? 

So then I don't want to get off the porch because I am now not top dog here.  But that is not cool.  I am afraid to get off my porch for a month and a half.  May 14, 2013 changed my life.  If there was any doubt that I could blow it off and wonder if it wasn't what I saw, then here come the several local reports to back it up, (a mile from here, also investigated by the BFRO). 

I'll back up and tell the story from the beginning if you will all indulge me.  I have told this story many times before on the forums, but for those that haven't heard it, it may be pertinent to this discussion of how it messes with your mind. 

Sorry for the lengthy post, but hey, that's why I joined up with this forum so I could talk to someone about this.  Thank you Chele for starting this thread because this is actually what I need, some good counseling for free!  :)

I really feel like I'm doing fine and I wish you would all join the premium forums because I loved just letting it all hang out with open invitations for comments.  I want to hear everyone because that helps me figure out what's going on.  I have said previously that I appreciate this place as a support group.

This post is getting too long, even for me.  I will summarize:

I saw something big and black jump 7 feet over the back road I was on.

Two weeks later, my brother-in-law called it twice and it blew me off my camp chair.

Found out from the BFRO investigator that there had "been several sightings in my area in the past six months."

I asked him if they were aggressive??!!  He said, "no, but they are curious, you may want to keep your blinds pulled."  :o

Song that just came on I have to link.  I'm you're boogie man - KC and the Sunshine band.  One of my Squatch songs now.

That's what it became to me.  A boogie man. 

My world was blown.  What in the hell is going on here.  Seriously? 

Then came all the maybe events around here that I won't go into, like something hitting the house 3x that sent the cat and me flying upstairs to my husband.

The tree knocks I heard at least twice a month.  Just when I think it was dying down, something would happen again. 

I felt like I was being pestered by a junior high boy that I wish would forget my phone number.

I had to find out what was going on because it wasn't fun around here anymore. 

I would stay out late all the time, and enjoy the glory of this place, sometimes until sunrise.

For two weeks I talked about wanting to sell this place.

The investigators said that I had BF fever.  My husband said that I thought everything was a BF.

So I would take their good advice, and then something would happen that would send me off again.

Cliff at the SF OH conf said that it's like ants.  You see one, then you see another, then all of the sudden you see a whole pile.

His opinion was that they may have been here for awhile and I just started noticing.

I'm like no, something has changed here.

Our investigator said that for years there was no activity here and my report came in when it was hot.

Others have seen things here.  People are telling me stories at the Eagles and Legion clubs when I go in for meetings.

My family thinks that I am ate up with it, as they say down here.

I would be fine if it were just one thing, but I have heard things that I have never heard in 14 years.

Sure I am paying attention more.  But seriously?  What is happening here?

So I resolved myself to the fact that BF are here too and we are not giving up this place.

How do we live together?

I spoke words out loud that the word here is peace and stop scaring me!  Feeling stupid for talking to an unknown possible figment of the mind, but at the time I spoke those words, it was all I could do to lay claim to my turf and I was tired of being scared sitting on the porch.

Late August when I thought it was a fluke, or once in a lifetime thing, (before the house slaps etc), a friend of our that was camping at our new back campsite, saw it watching us for 7 minutes.  If we listened to her, we all could have seen it.  It killed me for at least 6 months after that.  Now the **** thing was in our back yard.  Seriously?????  I believe her, husband is not so sure, BFRO believes her.  I'm the one out here at night like I am now.  Spending many many hours out at night.  2013 was different from the 14 years before.

In October 2013 I got membership here on the BFF.  All you people were SO HELPFUL.  I felt like I had a support group and not sad to hear from the doubters because it would be really great to go back to being a non knowing person.  I'm getting choked up thinking about it because there are times in your life when you wish for it again before something happened? 

I wasn't looking for it, and didn't go looking for it until I went for it at the BF Adventure weekend this spring at Salt Fork.

I was looking to find out if they were there, like I believed they were here. 

My friend Robert and I had an experience that left me with no doubt.

I actually am in a much better place now because of that for some unknown reason.

I am not afraid of our place here. 

I was very scared at SF but held my own as long as I could.

Whatever these being are, I know that they are here, and obviously they know that I am here.

My friend calls me Squatch bait and said that I should change my name to that.

Another experienced friend thinks that I am connecting with them and learning things.

I am not looking for it.  Maybe that's why they are attracted to me.  I just sit on the porch at night like I have always done, and have possible experience that may or may not be SSQ related. 

Whatever.  I live here and enjoy this place, and now I know that I am not at the top of the food chain here.

But it's all good.

I ain't scared...until, like last Monday, and a tree breaks when I think that I am on summer vacay from SSQ. 

Then every cell in my body reacts.  Water comes to my eyes and tears flow.  Not because I'm sad, but because it's such a rush.

How many times has that happened here?  Let me think.  I don't know.  A lot.  Three major for sures have happened to me.

I asked Cliff at the OH BF conf what his definition of a "habituator" was.  He got a look on his face and complained about ppl that don't want to document things, but then re-composed and said that his definition was, "a long term witness,"

He was so helpful as I asked him 4 questions throughout the weekend.  He was so gracious and knowledgeable and approachable.

Regardless of all that has gone on before, since May 2013, here I am 14 months later and I am still porch settin' late night how I always have.  I ain't scared.  I just know that BF may be out there.  I'm OK with that because I have no choice.

Thank you to you all for being a great support group, both pro and con, helping me to figure out what is real and what isn't. 

But EF if it wasn't a Squatch!!!!

:o:keeporder::girlwacko:

Here is my request to you.

Before you throw me to the trash heap of insanity or disillusion, I will first ask, How many days / hours have you spend outside in SSQville?  Do you have more than 24 hours a week, or even 12, all months of the year, no matter the weather?  Or are you just sitting behind your computer tearing us apart that are out there tying to figure out what is going on.

Don't worry about SSQ.  Just hang outside and enjoy nature.  Take a holiday!

YOU are all my brothers and sisters.  You help me keep it together.  Thank you.

Oh, and this is going to really tick off the people that get annoyed when I post the music.  But hey, I  have found my thread in the PTS thread, even though I think that this is mild what is compared to military people.  Like it said though in an earlier thread, that kind of thing can happen with any life changing event.  I'm not too stressed about it, but yeah, it's all over my mind.  I thought I was on summer vacation until last Monday.  It could have been whatever, but I don't think so.  God bless our Military!  My brother-in-law suffers from PTDS from some tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.  THAT is real PTDS to me.  What I got is just boogie man stuff outdoors.  Yeah, it's changed my life, has caused me some stress, occupies at least a few thoughts a day, never goes away, and only has impacted my life negatively only a small percentage of my time. 

Actually, 5/7 days of the week, the word Bigfoot is mentioned.  I wonder if I can go for a whole week without saying it.  Probably not.  Even if I did, I would be thinking it!  It is hard to let go of it when I live here.  If we moved to New Orleans, maybe I wouldn't say that word for a whole week.

Here are my three favorite BF related songs right now.  Hey, this is a good thread to work stuff out for people like me, and music helps.  Thank you for your indulgence, and if you have any good words for me, I listen to all points of view.  Warning, you will not talk me out of BF's existence, but you may be able to talk me out of the possibly situations here that could be natural.  But as I told my sister-in-law at our fabulous brunch at Flour restaurant in Cleveland, my husband says, "You thinking everything is a SSQ."  My response is, "Why wouldn't I?"

I changed my signature tonight to include this song.

Thank you ALL!  For helping my find my singing call.  :)

Peace out,

Hammer

For all you psychology types, I am an ENFJ on the Myers Briggs personality test.  Which means, for one point that if I have something on my mind, I need to talk about it to find an answer.  My husband on the other hand, is different, he thinks about what he says first.  We learn from each other.

I don't do Facebook or twitter or all that.  I just hide out here in the BFF and ask all you good ppl for free advice!  :)

I'm feeling all right, but cannot deny that the BF subject has taken over a healthy percentage of my life.

Did I tell you that the producers of FBF asked me to be a possible witness?  I only agreed because of the ppl connected with that show who have helped me. I might look like an idiot, but my story won't change. 

You know how it happens in life that one day your life is one way, then the next day something happens and your life is completely different?  How does it feel? To be on your own.  With no direction home.  A complete unknown.  Like a rolling stone, (Bob Dylan playing now).

You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

How does it feel?

How does it feel?

To be on your own.

Like a complete unknown.

Like a rolling stone.

You got no secrets to conceal.

I gave Chele credit for this thread.  Sorry it was clubbfoot, or something like that.  I apologize!

Edited by Hammer102492

Jimi Hendrix - All along the watchtower (Bob Dylan song)

That's how I feel sometimes.  That I am sitting all along the watch tower.

Sorry, but I'm not really sorry.  As many of you know.  If you want to know my feelings, it usually comes out in music.

And one of my all time favorites from Michael Stanley Band - Moving right along

So won't you come and go with us

Won't you come along

Moving right along

And I'll sing you a song

And it wont take very long

We're moving right along

That's where I'm at now.  Moving right along.  Seeing what will be the same this year, and what will be different.

..."It's nice to be in Cleveland!"  :)  That's why we love our home town boy.  Michael Stanley has stayed here.  LeBron is coming home.  Northeast Ohio sticks together and if some of us saw a SSQ, than it's our own.  I ain't the only one.  After a year and two months, I'm moving right along.

And this is what you all mean to me.  We pass the Rosewood Bitters around and see what happens.

Here I am Lord, just singing up a storm and I'm all alone again.  Too much going down today, just can't take it in. 

And it seems like singing is all I can do, just to pass the time.
And the Rosewood Bitters help me meet the sunshine.

And the Rosewood Bitters help me through the night when I feel blue.

MY RULE - If it doesn't make sense, just go home.  MSB is home.

LBJ is home.  Michael Stanley never left. Bernie Kosar is a home town hero.  We Clevelanders are a fierce in our convictions bunch, but we're friendly.

Too much going down today

Just can't take it in.

Oh - I'm going to get skewered tomorrow for this but hey, I'm may have mild PTDS right?

I'll let you all determine if that is the case.  All these songs make me feel good and relate to all my experiences.

If you don't like it, just pass on by.  I don't care.

Actually, I do.

But hey, I'm unloading

That's how it is

At least I'm not afraid to get off my porch anymore

And any Northeast Ohio person worth their weight knows all the words to this song.

\\https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXrAUxt4wIY

A good anthem for why we all stick with the Browns, Cavs and Indians, together for all these years.

Misery Loves Company

So this is all part of my therapy for perceive BF PTS therapy right?

The only band to sell out 4 consecutive nights at Blossom Music Center.

If you have had your heart broken in Cleveland, this is an anthem.

This town can finish

Anything you've begun.

And you find out that your dreams are not enough

and you swore that each time was the last one

And they can't take away the memories

Of Spanish Nights

Listen to her heart beat.

Listen to her heart beat.

Guest lightheart

Hey Hammer

I am thinking that some of this angst you are feeling is that you just wish you could go back to how it was before you knew they were there. Acceptance is a word that I think would help here. You can't unsee what you have seen. Knowing is certainly heavier - more weighty than sitting behind a computer on your couch.

I am out there many hours per week -every week and have been for months. My number one goali is to spend time hiking, biking, jogging in nature as many days per week as possible. My number two goal while I am out there is to gain greater understanding of how the hairy ones live and who/what they are. Every time I go out there I learn something new about them. Sometimes it becomes too much and I just move my attention to something else for a while.

Acceptance my friend will give you some peace of mind. Yep. They exist. Yep They are out there. They have been there for generations probably. The only thing that has changed is that now you know they are there. . Acceptance. Is there a song?

Hi Susiq. I think most of us underestimate how ill-equipped we'd be to protect ourselves against them, should they ever decide to try and do us harm. Armed or not.