Knowing What You Now Know, How Would You React To A Close Daylight Sighting?

MNskeptic

It all depends on the time of day, my mood, and the animals characteristics and attitude. My plan is to talk to it, go to one knee, stay put, then walk away if it is displeased.

JDL, that area you were camped in obviously had a family of BF camping in the woods. What a camping trip. What was the general location?

If I was calm enough, I would probably try to talk to it? Has anyone ever tried this? I would probably say "Enoch" just to see if I got a reaction. I think talking, whistling, or singing could soften the mood and relieve some tension. You know that he is going to be as nervous as you. So has anyone tried communicating with one?

Do you think "Enoch" is a joke among the "Hairy People?" That would set you in good with them.

Would you stay still so I can finish this video???  Some of us have other commitments....jeeeesh.....

Edited by clubbedfoot

I'm not sure. Somedays I think I'd like to be back in the 70's when I thought an oil well was malfunctioning and making such a horrible noise in the woods.  And now I can honestly say I do try to picture it and now if I saw one in daylight then I hope I could raise my arm and say "hello" in several different Indian languages and at the same time, try very, very hard not to panic lol.

What would I do if I was lucky enough to have a second close range daylight sighting ?  I would immediately pull my camera up and give my best effort to film the subject for as long as possible. After the subject moves off from view I would then commence to pull the bright colored position marker our of my pocket and drop it on the ground right at my feet and then make a beeline to the area the subject was standing and then immediately mark his position.  

I would not attempt to chase after or corner the subject as the site would still be of great value for the type of study I am conducting, I do not want to alienate them or make them fearful of me.  The goals are to develop some sort of relationship with them to gain trust and work toward direct observation and interaction.

Within several days I will have the entire area mapped for distance and objects of notable size for the recreation along within a person standing in the same place in the same position as the subject.  The entire effort will be documented and filmed by video and ranging experts { not related to the bigfoot community prior to the effort }.   All of the footage would be sent to numerous universities for analysis and verification.

After all of the work is finished and the analysis efforts are complete the video would be published along with all of the information recorded.

• Upvote 1

I would definitely freeze in my tracks, if my brain does not go comatose i would try to speak to it maybe ask it if it can understand me or can you speak. If that goes over well then I would ask it " hey you gonna eat that deer cause it is looking pretty good right now"

I have a very strong fight response when scared. I strike out and attack without thinking.

As a young kid, my brother, wearing a Halloween mask, jumped out from a corner to scare me. Before I could rationally think, I had knocked him out with a punch to the face.

A few years ago, walking in a not so good part of town, a car of three thugs pulled to a stop in front of me and got out with really bad intentions. Again, before I could think, I was running straight at them screaming at the top of my lungs. They jumped in the car and took off.

With this in mind, when I had my encounter, the fear I experienced was so strong that it short circuited my body and I was unable to move for a few seconds then I fled the scene as humanly possible.

I think if one surprised me at close range, I would be dead because I would probably strike out then the Bigfoot would pull my arms and head off....lol

Nathan they become fearful of you if you try to film them.

And how exactly do you know this ?   Do you have some form of proof or knowledge supporting this statement ?    

I will say that I could conceive of them being afraid of a big camera being lifted up to the face lake a weapon but my camera was carefully chosen for operation at chest to waist height as it has a hinged screen on an extending arm for filming from such a position.

Edited by NathanFooter
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Well for me, breath of fresh air to have a close daylight sighting as I had a close nocturnal one and the anxiety was fierce in the night that close.  

If I had a camera the night of my sighting there would have had to be an infrared flash, a blinding white flash at six feet I think could get you in serious trouble, just sayin; take it FWIW

I'm not so sure bigfoot is always docile and harmless, especially after reading the "Missing 411 books". I  also wonder about how many Native American tribes described them to be cannibals and kidnappers.  Knowing this is possible with bigfoot, I would be scared out of my mind.  So the question is are the children and adults that (if they were kidnapped ) have never returned to tell about bigfoots dark side? I know it has really changed my perspective while camping in remote areas.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I like this thread. I think it's a super idea to discuss this topic because all researchers should be mentally prepared should they have a close up encounter. I know that some skeptics will giggle a bit about the "mentally prepared" statement, but to clarify, no, I'm not taking about a mental health checkup.

First thing to happen should you encounter old big and hairy, if you're like every other human, you'll find yourself feeling an overwhelming urge to run away. After all, you're now seeing something that shouldn't be there. When Mommy told you there were no monsters , she was mistaken. (I guess it's wrong to call them monsters, but they're certainly scary enough to fill the role at first glance.) It may have something to do with infrasound or something similar? I know from experience, I've had ear discomfort several times during an encounter. Like something fluttering in one ear or the other prior to a sighting. I don't know what it is but they can definitely do something to cause discomfort. As far as fear, I dunno? I've been afraid everytime personally, but it was at the moment I first saw the creature and after the ear fluttering. So I don't know if it was the fluttering thing that caused it or the sight of old big and hairy?

I say, don't run. (For me this is hard to do as I've had the overwhelming urge to run everytime I've had an encounter and have to actually will myself to keep my feet planted) But I think it's best to not let them know you've seen them. Don't look directly at the creature in fact let them think they're still hidden. I personally think the name of their game most of the time is to stay hidden. Look away to the right or left, never directly at them. If you have a camcorder handy, act as though you're about to film something else in nature and open the camcorder without raising it (while looking away from the creature). Watch the view screen and position the camera toward the creature while only looking at it thru the view screen. Again, don't let on that you've already seen it.

Why not look directly at them? Well, personally I think that provokes a response. It forces the creature to do something because now it knows you've seen it. Most times it will end the encounter abruptly and the creature will do a "gone in 3 steps" exit. Besides. if your camcorder has a small screen , you can watch everything the creature does while it's watching you. If you're looking away, why should it be concerned with the small device in your hand? It doesn't know you're pointing the lens at it and filming it's every move.

Some folks say "Why don't you/didn't you walk up to the creature while filming it?"  Well, anyone can do as they please, but I personally wouldn't hop the fence at any zoo to walk up on a Silverback Gorilla either. These creatures must be strong and if you walk up to them, again you're provoking a response. Even an angry Chimpanzee can bend steel bars that no normal human could bend. So if you walk up to a creature the response received will probably depend on the nature of the creature. I don't know about you but I don't risk my life by depending on the good will of a wild creature. Nature is cruel, that's why we left it and now live in civilization. :girldance:

I'd keep the sighting time limit to a minute or two and then move along, end the encounter without letting the creature know it was ever seen. Why? Because now there's a good chance you'll have another sighting in the same area. If you approach the creature or give chase, I think the creature will vacate the area after it's cover has been blown. If you give chase, I think the chance of ever seeing it again in the same area are probably slim to none.

Great thread thanks! Chris B.