Knowing What You Now Know, How Would You React To A Close Daylight Sighting?

MNskeptic

Never in Kantuck bud. What is it?

It's a state above Tennessee and below Indiana. Ba-dump-bump! Sorry couldn't pass that up.

So, armed with this knowledge, let's assume a hypothetical close range and chance encounter in broad daylight. How would you react? Would you freeze in petrified and gripping fear as is the case with the more uninformed, non-believing public? If so, could you overcome the fear and maintain presence of mind enough to, say, pull a cell phone and give chase as the BF inevitably retreats? What about their incredibly effective, but invariably harmless, intimidation tactics? Would your thinking mind allow you to get control of your emotions enough to stand your ground and get the most out of this one in a million event?

I don't believe there is a good answer I could give to this question.  Too many variables present.

I will say this, though:  I'm always prepared to encounter one.  So I doubt it would 'change my life' the same way it would someone convinced that they weren't real.

Edited by DWA

Guest Crowlogic

If I were armed I'd draw a bead on the subject and fire my weapon.  If they are human of some kind so what it charged me I was protecting myself.  Who would argue with this when a jury and judge would then know that I had killed a rather animal like creature capable of any and all possible dangers to me.  I sincerely doubt I'd be set upon by the tribe.  If they traveled in troops we'd have them bagged by now.

If I was unarmed I'd simply try and record as much detail as possible.  What else is anyone going to do?

My initial response is - Be still,...control my fear....observe/study the creature.......react... relative to the creature's behavior and to my "state of preparedness" at the time

(IOW - camera - weapon)

Similar posts have been made already.....so I add my 2 cents to that pot

I'd try to remember to file away every detail that I could & not blink or lose concentration for even a split second. The instant that I looked away every time, they were gone when I looked back. I will try to not let it happen next time.

The problem is that I was trying to convince myself that I was actually seeing what was obviously there, instead of noting details. Every encounter has always been unexpected & surprising & it takes time to get control of your thoughts. By the time that happens, the encounter is usually over. I'd also try to remember to ask questions, hoping to surprise the BF into losing HIS concentration.

The last one I saw face to face, I can only positively remember what he looked like from the upper lip, up. Such a wasted opportunity!

How would you react if, with some training and experience, you jumped out of a plane and the chute wrapped around your leg?  That's generally considered an unpleasant situation.  How would you react if you had no specialized training and the car in front of you suddenly spun out and was directly in your path, broadside, and slamming on the brakes could cause you to lose control?

I'm gonna' go way out on a limb here and take the position that very few people can truly predict how they will react to a stressful situation, the instant hypothesis included. And frankly, to react normally (e.g., turn and run the other direction, screaming in abject fear) to a close encounter with a large, dangerous-looking animal that by the way is not supposed to exist, is, well - normal.  Maybe 80% of folks will do the exact same thing, no matter how well they think they would hold up.    

You can prepare yourself by gaining book knowldedge on a topic.  The more important, and more effective way, to train for a stressful situation is thru simulated exercises - for example, a mass casualty training event for firefighters, EMTs, and hospital staff.  Even with this kind of training, some people will fail when the real event occurs. 

I just hope that in any training/preparation that you do for such an encounter you include consideration of whether the Pualides/411 books are accurate!   :-)  (500 smileys and there's no basic smiley???) 

Having had the car situation happen, I can say that I would steer my vehicle to safety. I was trained to do that in a defensive driving class. If I was faced with a bigfoot in broad daylight, I'd freeze. I know that from experience with a lion. I like to think I'd come out of it in time to snap a picture but know that I would be fooling myself : )

BANG... Bang bang......mystery solved!

3 shots? Norse would solve the mystery in one! 

Antfoot ^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I did, w/o the defensive driving class.  But if you had asked me how I would respond before it happened, I'd probably say, "close my eyes, throw up my hands, and go oh lord we're all gonna' die!!!!"  

I was only trying to drive home the point that its difficult (for most people) to predict how one will react in a stress situation, although raising the question forces people to think about it and plan a little, which is a good thing. 

I was the same : D

It takes a little experience for someone to figure out what they would really do. I found out that I freeze when confronted with danger. I didn't like that and decided to do something about it. My hallucinations make me susceptible to freezing as well as I take time to figure out what is really going on. The first time I saw a lion, I froze and thought to myself, "what if it's not there?" When the guide whispered to me to stay still," I thought "I am!" That was when I realized it was real. I am reasonably sure that if it had turned and run for me I would have attempted to defend myself even if it was an hallucination : D

I do know that I would not freak out. I have never freaked out from any hallucination because I learned to hide them from everyone else a long time ago. Freezing was easier and safer. I could always say I was thinking about something to anyone who asked what was wrong. Real life situations trigger the same response perhaps.

I'd try not to only focus on its face and head, but rather take in the whole picture.

Easier said, than done though.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

All I am saying is that he better be careful what he shows me! ;)

" I " couldn't live with plugging one on my conscience, unless it was entirely self defense of course. You're welcome to go out with me during season though and bring a pistol. There's a good chance I can show you what you're looking for.  I'd certainly rather you refrained from taking pot shots at them of course. I'd like for you to watch them and get your thoughts on some of their behaviors before you decide a particular course of action. 

If you still feel the same way after watching them, you're welcome to go back into the same area without me and do what you feel is right.

Open invitation with no strings. Chris B. 

People react in many different ways when confronted with something that is supposed to be a myth,

or really any situation that makes you want to start praying! I really don't see that much evidence out

there that would indicate any disposition toward harming humans. The fight or flight syndrome will get

most of the folks, some will stand there with the deer in the headlights look, and others may go into

a mild form of shock. It just depends on the person. Even though we think that we know ourselves pretty

good, we really don't know what our reaction would be in that situation. I knew of a Navy SEAL Senior

Chief Petty Officer Britt "Slab" Slabinski ( he is also mentioned in Marcus Luttrell's book "Service" who

was the commander of a SEAL team named Mako 30 in Iraq and Afghanistan that explained how he

continued to operate, and why the bad experiences he went through strengthened his motivations,

and how he learned to distinguish fear from the imposter being afraid. Fear is a force that sharpens

your senses! Being afraid is a state of paralysis in which you can't do anything! It is critical to

understand the difference. More simply put ---- Use your fear to overcome being afraid! Sound

advice if your life expectancy is suddenly reduced to less than five minutes! The many posts on

this thread are excellent courses of action when faced with an encounter, but the bottom line is to

be prepared for any situation that you can possibly think of and leave out no details. Plan your

ingress and egress route, and stay out of areas that put you at a disadvantage your life may

depend on it!

• Upvote 1