Knowing What You Now Know, How Would You React To A Close Daylight Sighting?

MNskeptic

I would need some new underwear for sure.

But honestly, I would definitely freeze and stare. If the sighting was prolonged and eyes locked, I might try swaying from side to side, talking, or sing a little song if my brain decides to work. The last thing I would think of for my first sighting would be a camera. If I saw it but it didn't see me, I would probably stare for as long as possible and follow it. Maybe I would think of my camera but I would then have to make sure it's on silent so the shutter doesn't make a sound. 

Coach Lou Holtz on the problem with his team at William & Mary, "we've got too many Mary's and not William's on this football team".

So when you see the big guy are you gonna act like Roger Patterson when he saw whatever he saw? Or are you gonna scream like the young Drew Barrymore in the movie E.T.?? It's just a sasquatch guys. We know about these things. They're big teddy bears from nearly all reports. If this thing is ever gonna get proven, we're gonna need more Williams!

MNSkeptic

^^^I'd scream like Drew Barrymore. (albeit 2 octaves lower) And I am a William.  Really I don't know what I'd do.  But  regardless, you're comparing apples to oranges.   Lew Holtz's players played against other men.  If Sasquatch is real a female BF could rip the arms off off any man alive.  So for all intents and purposes human men and women's strength is a distinction w/o a difference when compared to a BF. Like Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face. 

Edited by clubbedfoot

SSR Team

No one knows what they do and I'd go as far as to say that the vast majority on here that would do x or y won't actually do it when the time comes.

People in general act very, very differently to how they perceive themselves when things come on top.

I could tell you a tonne of stories of how big tough guys freeze in moments when things come on top, moments when they "shouldn't" freeze but they do because they don't have what they really think they have or what they may have on the outside, inside of them, and it's what's inside that matters in situations like we are talking about.

Alternatively I've seen people that you wouldn't initially perceive to be help in a tough situation come through with flying colours and shock me.

But in general people are not as big and tough as they think they are, and the people that don't think they're that tough at times would surprise us all with what they actually are capable of.

• Upvote 1

^^^From what the experienced folk say, they like the Marys better.

(I hope) I'd try not to panic or stare, yet take in all possible details. Maybe speak if I was able to. They don't often stand still for viewing, so I'm not that bothered by it.

There's different situations that produce very different reactions. When the encounters are initiated by humans encroaching - accidentally or deliberately - on their home turf and they give the witnesses an eviction notice, things get serious in a hurry. Been there, done that. To stick around and disregard their warning is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

But, when they come into plain sight after a person (usually doesn't work with a group) has peacefully & openly tried to interact with them, it's totally a different encounter. The second two that I saw deliberately showed themselves briefly just to let me know they were not afraid of me. (Just as all the monkeys I've interacted with in Brazil, BF does not forget.) If treated respectfully, they will react in kind. If mistreated or insulted by someone, they will eventually get the chance to get even,   

• Upvote 1

If treated respectfully, they will react in kind. If mistreated or insulted by someone, they will eventually get the chance to get even,   

This is the heart of the matter. This is the crux of everything. 

Thanks for this, Branco. 

No one knows what they do and I'd go as far as to say that the vast majority on here that would do x or y won't actually do it when the time comes.

People in general act very, very differently to how they perceive themselves when things come on top.

I could tell you a tonne of stories of how big tough guys freeze in moments when things come on top, moments when they "shouldn't" freeze but they do because they don't have what they really think they have or what they may have on the outside, inside of them, and it's what's inside that matters in situations like we are talking about.

Alternatively I've seen people that you wouldn't initially perceive to be help in a tough situation come through with flying colours and shock me.

But in general people are not as big and tough as they think they are, and the people that don't think they're that tough at times would surprise us all with what they actually are capable of.

I couldn't agree more on that point Bobby. Even people that are trained to react to all kinds of situations sometimes hesitate before acting. It is the length of that hesitation that

will often predict the outcome! I have seen the toughest people run away, and have also seen the most meek stand and face whatever is coming at them. It is a reaction that just

can't be predicted with any certainty.

There's different situations that produce very different reactions. When the encounters are initiated by humans encroaching - accidentally or deliberately - on their home turf and they give the witnesses an eviction notice, things get serious in a hurry. Been there, done that. To stick around and disregard their warning is not only foolhardy but dangerous.

But, when they come into plain sight after a person (usually doesn't work with a group) has peacefully & openly tried to interact with them, it's totally a different encounter. The second two that I saw deliberately showed themselves briefly just to let me know they were not afraid of me. (Just as all the monkeys I've interacted with in Brazil, BF does not forget.) If treated respectfully, they will react in kind. If mistreated or insulted by someone, they will eventually get the chance to get even,   

Quite possibly the best advice advice I have ever seen given here! Bravo!!! Our actions at the beginning of the encounter will always dictate how it will play out. If I were to accidentally come upon a family unit in close proximity without them sensing my presence, which would be hard to do but supposing that I did, I would probably back off a bit and not startle/disturb them. I don't

think their reaction would be favorable to me being there that close. Even more unfavorable to my well being I would bet! I would simply back away slowly and leave the area as quietly as I

could. If I want the encounter to unfold I would come at them very slowly from a distance letting them know I am in the area and am posing no danger to them. They will decide whether or not

to react with me at that point. Since I am not hunting them I will let them dictate the rules of the encounter, but will always try to remain as safe a distance as possible in case they it is time for me

to be on my way!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen one, but they do generally appear to be less confrontational and agressive during the day. I would try to get some photos for sure, but if they turned agressive and "warned" me to leave, I would do so.

Read this forum or any of the other BF sites and you learn a lot about BF behavior. Seems to me they are almost always docile creatures to their homo sapien cousins and even when behaving aggressively they invariably turn out to be 'all blow and no show', as they say.

So, armed with this knowledge, let's assume a hypothetical close range and chance encounter in broad daylight. How would you react? Would you freeze in petrified and gripping fear as is the case with the more uninformed, non-believing public? If so, could you overcome the fear and maintain presence of mind enough to, say, pull a cell phone and give chase as the BF inevitably retreats? What about their incredibly effective, but invariably harmless, intimidation tactics? Would your thinking mind allow you to get control of your emotions enough to stand your ground and get the most out of this one in a million event?

My wife once asked me this question as we were riding along the wooded backroads of N. Minnesota. Of course I told her I would stop the car and give chase with cell phone video in hand, but not sure she believed me. Not sure I believe myself!

MNSkeptic

If I saw one looking in my window, it would send me over the edge and I probably would require therapy. 

Hearing knocks etc, is one thing, looking in your house is another.  I keep my shades drawn, yet I sit outside for hours. 

I was within arms length of one twice in one night with nothing but a tarp between me and this long-legged-one. I went into the woods with one thing on my mind(And have studied this phenomena for years with the same in mind), to get a face to face encounter. When the opportunity presented itself even after all of that time and constant thought about it I did not take it. I was not terribly afraid and "it" was just as calm as can be "itself". Thoughts that ran through my head were "It could be a person, and people have been getting murdered in these mountains", "If it is a Bigfoot and I pull the tarp back it may distrust me and never interact with me again, sort of blacklist me from a encounter", "If it does not run off it will be right in my freaking face, I will probably have a heart attack and die just from that". The next morning and throughout the weeks I returned to this area I was able to confirm it was impossible for what was standing next to me to be a normal human just because people do not go to that place. Add to that the tremendous speed and agility, the length of the stride between footsteps on the dry leaves, and the fact that there was no light of anykind in this pitch black valley from the sky or from whatever it was(Tarp is just laying over paracord strung between the same two trees the hammock is hanging on, so the two ends are wide open, I certainly would have been able to see any light from a flashlight or what have you!)

My advice to readers from my experiences with these big guys, don't be afraid to take that leap of faith. They seem to be pretty good natured and extremely inquisitive.

Thoughts that ran through my head were "It could be a person, and people have been getting murdered in these mountains",

Smokies?