Bigfoot And Cemeteries

Hello kmc06005, Welcome aboard!  I would say its difficult without more information. Given the topic here I would say it fits in well with their known behavior.

I posted this story in the Arkansas forum, but I thought I may get some thoughts over here as well. 

The summer after I graduated high school I spent a lot of time with a couple buddies before we all went separate ways in the fall. During that time we went on a lot of 'adventures' so to speak. If we heard about something that sounded fun or interesting we were there. Late one evening one of them brought up the fact that he heard a nearby cemetery was haunted, so off we went. 

We made the short trip over parked across the street and walked to the gate. This is a small country cemetery with no large fences, gates or guards that is surrounded by a 2-300 acre pine tree farm. As we walked in we heard the most blood curdling high pitched scream, like a distressed woman. One of my friends jumped the fence and ran back to the car. Then the scream came again, but it sounded much closer. That was enough for the other friend to head to car. I was shuffling along behind because I was wearing flip-flops and we heard the scream one more time. It felt like it was right on top of us at this point. We were all pretty shook up.

Let me state that I don't believe in ghosts, and never for a minute thought that's what it was. I actually went back a week later, but heard and experienced nothing. My dad said it was probably a screech owl, but I've since listened to audio of them, but it's not even close.

I guess my question is (if you had the patience to read this far): Do you think it could've been a sasquatch?

FYI, this took place in Central, AR.

KMC, one common mistake that a person makes is that a screech owl makes a terrible blood curdling scream. 

They do screech a bit, but it's rarely confused with a 'scream' per se.

I think what you may have heard was a barn owl.  Check out this youtube vid.  As you can see an agitated barn owl will make the hair stand up on your neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmRmRb2OpE

One other thing to remember is that owls make MANY different types of vocalizations depening on many things like age, hunger, mating, agitation, etc.

I hope this helps!

KMC, one common mistake that a person makes is that a screech owl makes a terrible blood curdling scream. 

They do screech a bit, but it's rarely confused with a 'scream' per se.

I think what you may have heard was a barn owl.  Check out this youtube vid.  As you can see an agitated barn owl will make the hair stand up on your neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmRmRb2OpE

One other thing to remember is that owls make MANY different types of vocalizations depening on many things like age, hunger, mating, agitation, etc.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply!

My dad told me it was a screech owl, but he was not actually there. He was just guessing. Although it did not sound like the vid you posted, I could see that owl being able to make some pretty terrible noises, so that is a likely explanation. Do they have a more throaty noise than that one? I would not have described it as a screech, as much as a scream. 

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

a  party of men with shotguns went in pursuit of the gorilla yesterday, but found no trace of it. An Ashby man informed The Globe correspondent that the gorilla was seen there a few evenings since.

Hmm, can't copy and paste, but anyway, this was DATED 1895, and labeled Gorilla, but Gorillas were not named until the early 20th century, like 1908 or something. So problemo right there. Also, not enough cemetery spottings to rule out a generalized random behavior.

Source: The Boston Daily Globe, October 22, 1895, p5

Wag, it's a very common misconception about the dates on Gorilla discoveries. The first specimens of lowland Gorilla were brought in around 1861 while the species had already been described in publications of the 1840's.

The Mountain Gorilla, (Gorilla Beringe Beringe) were the specimens brought in around 1902 by Robert Von Beringe. So at the time of the article, they would have had the term "Gorilla" in their working vocabulary, but not "Mountain Gorilla" as Beringe hadn't plugged one yet.

Chris B.

I like it when the first ready mix response to somebody that hears screams are "Owls." Yes owls screech but when you hear the howl of a Sasquatch every fiber of your being sends off spine tingling sensations that immediately tell you something is not right. Your senses are immediately heightened unlike anything experienced before or since. Sometimes your hair stands on end like something full of electro-static drawn from the dryer! Maybe even like, in some instances your legs feel like Jello. Then you feel that overwhelming and unmistakable feeling of fear..... 

So I think I would ask if you if experienced anything other feelings or sensations other than hearing a screech. Was it accompanied by something else or not? Arkansas is rife with Bigfoot activity and has been for a very long time. It seems to be a natural path of back and forth Bigfoot movement to and from Texas and Oklahoma along the southwestern corridors.  

If I were a doctor and you tell me you're experiencing a headache I could not diagnose your symptom over the internet anymore than my neighbor without knowing your history and previous proclivities to a whole list of causes.     

Anyone notice the number of Bigfoot sightings on golf courses? I read one such instance from Michigan, I think, where the happy golfers were horrified when their otherwise fun time was interrupted by primal screams, and then they see a very large hairy ape-like creature ripping a trophy deer to pieces in full view of the golfers.  

Unlike cemeteries though, parkways used in golf are finely manicured and seasonal but they are also clearly visible to people and passing traffic in many cases. So I am wondering if the Bigfoot beings even care if people are around when its feeding time. Are they guided more by opportunity than concern over being seen?

Edited by Gumshoeye

Your senses are immediately heightened unlike anything experienced before or since. Sometimes your hair stands on end like something full of electro-static drawn from the dryer! Maybe even like, in some instances your legs feel like Jello. Then you feel that overwhelming and unmistakable feeling of fear..... 

The problem with that is that so many people don't have their senses developed to the point that they are of any use to them. They remain oblivious to what is going on around them & can't comprehend that there are people that aren't.

So if it screeches like an owl, there is no other explanation to them.

So I think I would ask if you if experienced anything other feelings or sensations other than hearing a screech. Was it accompanied by something else or not? Arkansas is rife with Bigfoot activity and has been for a very long time. It seems to be a natural path of back and forth Bigfoot movement to and from Texas and Oklahoma along the southwestern corridors.  

As I mentioned, as soon as we heard the first scream, one of my friends immediately ran in absolute terror, the second sent the other 2 of us on our way pretty freaked out. As we were making our way back the first guy was screaming from inside the car for us to hurry, so that we could leave. I even had the driver stop on our way out and rolled down the windows to listen. The first guy was so shook up that he begged us to just drive away. The overall experience was pretty unnerving. 

BF's are curious and I think I have read somewhere that they actually watch funeral services and burials in cemeteries.  Would not be all that farfetched. They may therefore sense something sacred or special about cemeteries. Many BFers theorize that BF may bury their dead, possibly getting the idea from human burials they observe.  I have also read somewhere that supposedly BF bury their dead about 12' deep and compact the burial every few feet by stomping on it, then plant a tree over it. 

Hello dlaw and welcome!  What praytel sort of law may I ask? You don't have to answer .....

That is very interesting and the first I ever heard that. Can you link the information o is there someplace where I can go to read it?

Thanks for the reply!

My dad told me it was a screech owl, but he was not actually there. He was just guessing. Although it did not sound like the vid you posted, I could see that owl being able to make some pretty terrible noises, so that is a likely explanation. Do they have a more throaty noise than that one? I would not have described it as a screech, as much as a scream. 

First, just to clarify, I'm no owl expert.  But I do know they make a wide variety of calls.  There are other animals that can make crazy calls as well.  If it sounded like it 'was right on top of us', I was leaning toward a bird.  But there may be other fur bearing animals that can make really crazy sounds.

A google search will provide you with a whole slew of possibilities, I thought that the barn owl audio may have been it.

Bobcat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4bXHv15H8E