Bigfoot Watching Kids – Benevolent Or Malevolent Acts?

I am sort of torn on this one, on one hand we have the Missing 411 stories where kids disappear, but then there are plenty of stories where a BF just observes or paces kids, there was a story where a BF chased a kid who was running for his house the the BF, ran up and knocked him down and kept going, so it could be some sort of dominance display where the BF has to show-off his superior abilities.

Here is a thought, as BF are unclothed, if a naked man stood around watching kids, he would get hauled away.

That will be a mystery for a long time I am afraid.

True but out of context this irrelevant.

Human beings are expected to wear clothes.  It's our cultural norm, at least in first-world cultures.  That's why we have separate nude beaches and nudist colonies ... for people who deliberately deviate from cultural norms.   ANY person seen naked in public is probably going to be arrested, watching kids is sort of "part b". 

So far as we know, despite a few specific examples of claims of them doing it, sasquatch norm is to not wear clothes. 

MIB

I'm in the same camp as Norseman, the motivations could be many but they wouldn't stray far from a human's potential motivation, given similar circumstances. As a primate, BF would understand children at play, as we'd have to expect BF young to do the same. We'd also have to expect that the size difference and intimidation factor would also be understood as dominance through strength is also a common primate trait. If a lonely/curious/hungry BF could grab a child, I suspect it would. It would also probably see a child as something it coul easily dominate and control.

In retrospect, my maybe-it-was-an-encounter occurred when my brother and I were children and we were playing loudly in the woods. We spent a lot of time in the woods behind the house (several dozen acres of dense New England hardwood and fir) running around on the game trails, playing "Army", and building lots of forts. There were a lot of deer and turkey, clearings with green grass and edible plants, and a curious number of bent saplings as I recall. It may not have been the only time we were watched by something in the woods but it was the only time I saw something big, black, and hairy moving toward me. My response was instantaneous; flight! There was no thinking. I felt very threatened.

So regardless of BF's intention or motivation, the human response, even with violence, is not something another primate would find surprising. Apes of all types respond similarly to perceived threats, regardless of the antagonist's motivations.

Hello Will, according to Missing Kids, the link is up there someplace there are thousands of kids missing and never found in the U.S. While a small portion is related to parental abductions and another portion to pedophiles there is a larger portion never found or heard of again. To what degree is Bigfoot related, I wouldn’t know if any are related at all.

50,000 Australians gone missing my gosh, that’s a big little city anyplace. That’s a lot of people!

I think, if understand all that I’ve read here on forum in comments and reports there seems to be less concern or more tolerance of Bigfoot displaying what otherwise would be considered unsocial behavior in any city because well, “it’s only Bigfoot,†and less tolerance for people acting up on our street corners and I want to know why?  

Is there a BF species located in Australia? 

Gumshoe, I think that the BF species has to be predatory, and will take easy prey, especially if the BF is older and it is harder for them to hunt deer or other prey.

There are reports of BF being seen carrying humans, and one in particular is from Paulides' Missing 411 where a child was lost while playing hide and seek in the woods around Gatlinburg, Tn,and was later seen tossed across a should of a large hair covered wild man, and nothing was ever found of the child.

I think your choice of words telegraphs faulty, particularly narrow, underlying assumptions.   They are not

"any other predator".  They are the same kind of predator you and I are .. ones able to make deliberate choices, not merely follow the dictates of instinct and conditioning.   

You know, same as I do, what the law says regarding use of deadly force.   The person has to demonstrate immediate opportunity, means, and intent.    I can't speak for anyone else.  My personal ethics regarding bigfoot requires the same.  I will err on the side of caution.   I'm not going to allow a child to be harmed but I'm not going to act prematurely or presumptively to prevent it.

MIB

So if you saw a BF watching children play, you would remove the children? Would you search to see if this is a regular event of a particular BF by looking for prints and signs that a BF had been hanging around there before the sighting?

If there seemed to be pattern of a BF watching children play, I would take the children somewhere else to play, and/or try to drive the BF away from that area. 

Until a child is taken no one can know what the BF's reasons are for watching the children, but I would err on the side of caution, remove the kids, and try to drive the BF away, how I have no clue, but I would do anything to protect any children anywhere  from harm.

Would shooting at it drive it away, or make it mad and then you have even more danger towards children and adults from an angry BF?

Whatever is done, the first priority is protecting those children from an *apex* predator. 

2005 April

Missouri

A lady walking up to a park with her girlfriend and their kids came to a clearing with playground found a four (4TTrack) toed, 14 inch foot tracks and advised the they should leave, as they made their way back to their vehicle the children were running ahead. At this moment the lady sees what she thought was old tree in the woods until it started to move toward one of the little girls …. GCBFR 

Note:  In this case a lady sees what she thought was an old tree "tree stump" suddenly moving toward a little girl running way out in front of the adults. Was the creature watching the kids?   

What happened? Was the child saved, or taken?

So if you saw a BF watching children play, you would remove the children?

I'd assess the specifics of the situation then decide what, if any, actions were needed.   I'm not operating from a script.   

MIB

Edited by MIB

MIB, Truly, I think that you could make the right decision and protect the kids if they needed protecting, I'm coming from a female's viewpoint, unarmed, and so to prevent any trouble that I could not handle, I'd remove the children just to be safe, and report the BF sighting someplace, perhaps the police if the creature was inside a public park.

We unarmed females do not have the strength nor the skill in fighting that most men have, however, facing an encounter that I could not safely resolve, I'd remove the children from potential harm or danger, and leave the area of concern for others to handle the problem.

Has anyone tried using children as "bait" (not the exact word I want) while searching for BF? If wood apes are drawn to kids, maybe that could be a useful tactic.

Obviously the safety of the kids would be the top priority. Maybe using something like a shark cage in an area with known activity could work. Draw the BF out, while keeping the kids relatively safe.

Are you serious MBH? I cannot tell if you’re being humorous or serious, so I will presume you are serious. Personally I wouldn’t do that and hope others don’t do it either, if they were to something as result of that it would probably traumatize them all their lives. When I experienced this thing, all I felt was utter hatred and a dark sense of foreboding unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before or since.  It was from “it,†not me to it I can assure you.   

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Gumshoeye, this is an interesting topic but unfortunately one we can only speculate on. I also think they are interested in watching children. It could be they don't feel threatened and watch them out of curiosity? Or, there could be some other interest we're unaware of, innocent or not. As a parent I leave my kids at home when I'm out in the woods now. Although I've never felt threatened during any encounter, any risk is too great where children are concerned.  Who can know what's in the mind of a wild creature? Chris B.

Are you serious MBH? I cannot tell if you’re being humorous or serious, so I will presume you are serious. Personally I wouldn’t do that and hope others don’t do it either, if they were to something as result of that it would probably traumatize them all their lives. When I experienced this thing, all I felt was utter hatred and a dark sense of foreboding unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before or since. It was from “it,†not me to it I can assure you.

I was serious but it wasn't a fully thought-out strategy. Kinda just workshopping the idea at this point.

Would there be any way to ensure the safety for everyone involved? Maybe use a really short adult dressed as a kid.

Edited by mbh

Are you serious MBH? I cannot tell if you’re being humorous or serious, so I will presume you are serious. Personally I wouldn’t do that and hope others don’t do it either, if they were to something as result of that it would probably traumatize them all their lives. When I experienced this thing, all I felt was utter hatred and a dark sense of foreboding unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before or since.  It was from “it,†not me to it I can assure you.   

MBH

That’s no problem but you had me scratching my head for minute wondering where they going with this? ….  J

I read your post and appreciate your input.  I suppose I’m different when it comes to children. Not your fault, It’s me and my values and the way I see the world, like we’re supposed to protect the children no matter the cost and I just don’t want see those things around any kids. Not everyone will agree, but children are sacred and that is where I draw the line.

For me it’s like dressing a kangaroo in a business suit and having it stand someplace in the yard, behind a tree or maybe peeking in the window or peering around corner at the kids and asking them not to be scared or shocked by the absurdity of such a sight.

There are lots of children out there who as adults and vividly recall their fear and confusion and I don’t know what else for having experienced that and I just believe it’s good, but right here on this form you find others that will have no problem with it.

Gumshoeye, this is an interesting topic but unfortunately one we can only speculate on. I also think they are interested in watching children. It could be they don't feel threatened and watch them out of curiosity? Or, there could be some other interest we're unaware of, innocent or not. As a parent I leave my kids at home when I'm out in the woods now. Although I've never felt threatened during any encounter, any risk is too great where children are concerned.  Who can know what's in the mind of a wild creature? Chris B.

Chris B

Thanks for your thoughtful response. You nailed it on the head and I agree with you. It may well be wholly curiosity or partly due to curiosity but sometimes we have to be reminded of our obligation to others, even at a cost to ourselves and that goes especially for children.