Collection Of Voucher Specimens

norseman

I believe it COULD be done. (a body taken) It would take a team trained in dangerous situations. Big game hunters in Africa, who routinely go in the brush after man killers, with big bore rifles, bigger than whats used on this continent, and with trackers with back up rifles could get this done perhaps, AND get a body out.

Or perhaps a military team. Someone that had worked together in very dangerous situations and could keep a cool head in a high pressure situation with some high caliber fire power. Joe Blow might pull this off alone, but I think the chance of that happening and recovering the body would be less than 1%.

To me the term big bore rifles bigger than what is used on this continent equates to elephant guns

I'm a Elmer Keith guy, which means I like big bore rifles. But even then there is a big range between calibers. As you can imagine there is a big difference between a 1000 lbs primate and a 15000 lbs bull elephant.

I definitely think a 270 Winchester is too light and a 600 nitro express is too heavy. I like bullet diameters between .400-.450 with a large meplat. And I carry a 45-70 guide gun.

If I had to choose just 1 of my rifles for self defense in the woods it would be my 450 marlin

Not only is the winchester model 94 reliable and easy to shoulder, but I also love the ghost ring sight on it.

My second choice would be my 338 winmag, however the 24 inch barrel and scope make it less than ideal for up close and personal ranges

• Upvote 1

amen!

Can we now just all agree that the anti kill crowd are unscientific in their approach? And that for the sake of conserving this species a type specimen is needed? Science says so............ No matter if you want to stick your head in the sand and chant "human" repeatedly.

Bowcat, both MagniAesir and I hunt in British Columbia, Canada, he for more than 30 years, and I for more than 50. Black bears and cougars are common throughout the province, and grizzlies in most of it, especially where we hunt moose and elk, and more recently, they've moved into our local deer hunting areas, within 50 miles of our homes. Though neither of us has trophy hunted the carnivores, I have meat hunted blacks, and had to take down a charging grizz on one occasion. I was using the ubiquitous 30-06 at the time, and though it took more than 1 shot, that bear is now a beautiful rug, and I'm still here to tell you about it. BTW, both of us have at least a decade of bow hunting experience, as well. Two close friends have also taken grizzly under similar circumstances over the years, and both were downed with one shot, using a .270, and a wildcat 7mm-308, so I think that MagniAesir's statement that that magnums, or 'elephant guns" are not necessary to take the type specimen can stand, from my perspective of experience with large, dangerous game.

Not my problem was with the phrase about African guides using big bore rifles that are bigger than what is used on this continent.

In my mind that means the classic/modern rifle commonly referred to as elephant guns.

I disagree with this whole heartily, I believe that if a sasquatch exits then it will be no stronger, tougher or harder to kill than a similar sized grizzly or polar bear.

As such any rifle/cartridge combination that is effective on the great bears would also be effective on sasquatch.

And we both know the difference between a hunting rifle/cartridge combination and a stopping rifle

I would also think that any experienced bear guide/hunter would be insulted by the notion that they are not as capable as an African guide/hunter

And again I think this notion of a band of Sasquatch attacking hunter(s) to reclaim a fallen body is just not true.

Edited by MagniAesir

It's YOU that are doomed to repeat the same grade over and over again. Because you offer NOTHING towards the end goal of species recognition. You just squeak weakly from the sidelines about how unjust or unfair it all is........ And if someone calls you out on your lack of evidence or your sanctimonious rhetoric? You attack their character........

Your pathetic.

Where have I said my end goal is species recognition?

My concern is trigger-happy yahoos (as evidenced by the NAWACkie Wild Bunch) spraying lead all over the place at targets they have yet to positively ID.

Now...that's pathetic.

IMO, these entities are doing fine by themselves and probably enjoying the entertainment from the Hoss Cartwright types blundering through the mountains and periodically being thrown from their mounts.

Not my problem was with the phrase about African guides using big bore rifles that are bigger than what is used on this continent.

In my mind that means the classic/modern rifle commonly referred to as elephant guns.

I disagree with this whole heartily, I believe that if a sasquatch exits then it will be no stronger, tougher or harder to kill than a similar sized grizzly or polar bear.

As such any rifle/cartridge combination that is effective on the great bears would also be effective on sasquatch.

And we both know the difference between a hunting rifle/cartridge combination and a stopping rifle

I would also think that any experienced bear guide/hunter would be insulted by the notion that they are not as capable as an African guide/hunter

And again I think this notion of a band of Sasquatch attacking hunter(s) to reclaim a fallen body is just not true.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/luposafaris.html

Edited by Yuchi1
  • Upvote 3

Not sure what your point with the link is

I am well aware of hunters using modern 45/70's and 450 marlins where legal in Africa

Where have I said my end goal is species recognition?

My concern is trigger-happy yahoos (as evidenced by the NAWACkie Wild Bunch) spraying lead all over the place at targets they have yet to positively ID.

Now...that's pathetic.

IMO, these entities are doing fine by themselves and probably enjoying the entertainment from the Hoss Cartwright types blundering through the mountains and periodically being thrown from their mounts.

What's pathetic? Is that your guilty of the very thing you accuse them of doing......look in the mirror.

Concerning me? Your just projecting. Because I'm pro kill? I'm going to make all of the same mistakes you did. That's illogical.

Where in my post did I say bear hunters/guides were not capable? They were not mentioned, but that doesn't mean they were insulted. But since you brought it up, bear hunters/guides face danger, no question, but no where near the danger presented by African big game. Man eating bears are rare. Man eaters in Africa are common, and much of it is not reported. And again, I NEVER said anything about an elephant gun, sheesh...

I had no idea bear hunters were so sensitive...

It's possible but here are the issues I have with that hypothesis.

Stone tool manufacture and fire use, we see no evidence of Sasquatch possessing those technologies. You would have to explain how those technologies were lost.

Also I have read that Neanderthal-Human hybridization was at its outer limits. If the two species had been separated from each other much longer, viable offspring would not have been an option. If true that would make a Hedelbergensis-Human hybridization out of the question. As the two species were separated by time even longer.

The upside to your hypothesis is that they were the largest Homo species ever.

You're discounting that if sasquatch exists, it has been living along side us all along and potentially not separated by time at all, atleast in part of it's genetics..

You may argue that they should be us and we should be them if we've been cross breeding all this time, but my hypothesis includes a one way attraction from  Sasq. males to abducted human females.

This would leave certain nuclear genetics out of our gene pool if the offspring did not re-join our society.

If the offspring were preferable mates among SSQ the mtDNA would reset the clock on time since divergence and the SSQ nuDNA could still dominate.

Robust size, the hair, and agility would certainly preclude the need for alot of tools.

Don't buy them books and send them to school and you wind up with a real giant yahoo!!!! .............that will sometimes scream it's own name from the local hills. :secret:

What's pathetic? Is that your guilty of the very thing you accuse them of doing......look in the mirror.

Concerning me? Your just projecting. Because I'm pro kill? I'm going to make all of the same mistakes you did. That's illogical.

IMO, the distinction is, I learned the error of my ways unlike them (NAWAC) and.....you.

At ~.45:00-60:00 of the "Valley of the Wood Apes", Colyer mentions being afraid to be out in the woods after dark...really? Then, the McClurkan dude recounts having sprayed bullets into the woods at a target yet to be positively ID....really?  And, this is the best and brightest in bigfootery?

Someone getting shot in the woods is often classified as an accident. Someone shot by some wild-eyed, agitated, scared individual is likely automatically amped up for the culpabitliy/liability factor, once the shooter's purpose and intent is discovered.

• Upvote 1

IMO, the distinction is, I learned the error of my ways unlike them (NAWAC) and.....you.

At ~.45:00-60:00 of the "Valley of the Wood Apes", Colyer mentions being afraid to be out in the woods after dark...really? Then, the McClurkan dude recounts having sprayed bullets into the woods at a target yet to be positively ID....really?  And, this is the best and brightest in bigfootery?

Someone getting shot in the woods is often classified as an accident. Someone shot by some wild-eyed, agitated, scared individual is likely automatically amped up for the culpabitliy/liability factor, once the shooter's purpose and intent is discovered.

So when someone gets accidentally shot tracking a bear into the brush it's somehow worse in the eyes of the law than if it happened at a ***** range? Not only are you condescending, hypocritical and all the rest? But you don't even make a lick of sense.

As I've said in another thread, I'm not a NAWAC spokes person, if you have concerns you can take it up with them.

I'm not scared of the dark, being bucked off my horse or being by myself 50 miles from my pickup truck. Something you have no idea about. And I certainly believe in positively ID'ing my target before I pull the trigger.

So hopefully now you can stop worrying about me and rest easy.

• Upvote 1

Do you consider Grizzlies dangerous?

I consider anything of substantial size that can bite, claw or gore me dangerous, so the answer would be yes...

Where in my post did I say bear hunters/guides were not capable? They were not mentioned, but that doesn't mean they were insulted. But since you brought it up, bear hunters/guides face danger, no question, but no where near the danger presented by African big game. Man eating bears are rare. Man eaters in Africa are common, and much of it is not reported. And again, I NEVER said anything about an elephant gun, sheesh...

I had no idea bear hunters were so sensitive...

What part of big bore rifles, bigger than what they carry on this continent, mentioned in the same paragraph as African guides would indicate anything else but what is commonly referred to as an elephant gun.

Not sensitive at all

I just don't buy your premise at all

So for the record what did you mean by

Big bore rifles, bigger than what is used on this continent

When you were talking about them being used by African guides

Edited by MagniAesir
  • Upvote 1