Show Your Best Evidence If You Please.

Guest Crowlogic

I've heard lots of woodpeckers.  The one I have heard the most is the pileated, which is NA's largest.  A wood knock is a *very* different sound.

With any wood knock the constraint is - once you've ID'd it as not a woodpecker which is no problem for me - that something with hands did it.  What's the chance that one of them is there...and the other one NOT...?

I've got a woodpecker in my Chestnut tree.

I'm packin' large in case it's a woodbooger.

I heard a perfect series of wood knocks the other day at home along the river.  It was a crow.  Crows and ravens can make the sound vocally.  Every wood knock that can't be explained isn't a sasquatch.

t.

Make a recording of it next time, and document the time of day. We'll compare it to the knocks that occur in the middle of the night while those crows are sleeping.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming you didn't see a bf do the knocking.  If you didn't, isn't it kinda far fetched to say it was a sasquatch?

t.

How many people do or have seen them knocking? The person mentioned above. It wasn't crows, ravens or woodpeckers. Not even Barred Owls which can do a credible series of knocks. You are also making assumptions if you think we didn't go check out the one on the ridge. This area is 20 miles from any habitations. When we got to the top of the ridge it knocked again further around the ridge from where it had been originally. The knocks were very similar to gigantor's recording. I followed the trail on the ridge for a mile, which by the way didn't go to the location of the knocks. The only indication of anyone on the trail were a month old and probably belonged to a forest service employee who was clearing winter blowdowns. I then circled back toward where the last knocks came from... Nothing.

I didn't say it was a sasquatch, you did. But I did answer the question to my satisfaction that there was no one else in the area.

One thing I have noticed about a lot of these skeptical/denialist posts is the assumption that everyone spending time in the field is a greenhorn. That may or may not be your experience but it isn't mine!

^

Well you did talk about a "watcher" so I'm assuming you think it's bf because you can't explain the cause.  I do note you were following a trail.  Where there are trails there are people no matter how remote.  There may not have been anyone on the ridge but there could have been.  In any case it's good to see you have experience in the woods.  It certainly makes your thoughts more relevant, at least to me.  I understand too that what you heard probably wasn't made by wildlife if in fact you know your flora and fauna.  (I still think about the video of the porcupine in the tree that was posted as a baby bf.)  If it wasn't a human it's a head scratcher for sure!

t,

As you said, I do know my way around in the woods. That is the main reason I checked out the trail first, to see if anyone else was in the area. If it was another researcher or even a hoaxer, I also checked for vehicles in the area. Since through hikers usually stay on the trail unless there is something to see, which there wasn't in that area, that pretty much rules that out as I already had found no tracks except elk on the trail. Plus remember, whatever was doing the knocking was still in the area while I was doing this checking.

Hello All,

Went tent camping recently in Northwestern Maine for five days in the Rangeley Lakes region. The state park has 50 sites close to but not on the lake. It's a great and lovely place to visit. On the second night my spouse and I heard heavy footfalls that we attributed to being a Moose which is an abundant creature in that neck of the woods. During the five nights also we the calls of many Loons which as most know are very distinct and haunting. The calls went through most of the night.

Two nights before we were to leave we heard something we've never heard before. We also didn't record it unfortunately. If I was to describe it the only way to do so would be for you to hear the call of a Loon first. They have four different types of calls, one of which is known as the wail. Here is a clip so you can hear it. Listen closely the second clip called "the wail": You will notice that the call has three distinct parts to it: 

http://www.loon.org/voice-loon.php

The Loons we heard were on the lake as they are not forest creatures as you know. But what we heard WAS in the woods. The sound was similar to the Loon call but without the sound of the first part. What we heard was a loud second part of the bird call that broke at the end and trailed off. Now I wouldn't be writing this if it happened once because even I know that the mind can play tricks. But this loud two-toned call occurred six times in a row. We heard nothing during the previous nights except for the Loons and the one time of footfalls. And we heard nothing after those six loud calls closer to us during the two days before our departure.

I have searched around for all animal and bird sounds like owls and such and have been unable to match anything up- except for a two hundred pound Loon with a short vocabulary LOL. Now I know this is only anecdotal evidence but folks I've never heard anything like what I heard that night. I also know Loons and this wasn't one. It was a much stronger sound. No wolves in Maine either but if there were I'd have no trouble saying it was a wolf. It was also too low-pitched qualify for the for the coyotes of the Northeast which are actually the hybrid coywolf which are larger that the typical Western Coyote.

I'm going to revisit some of the howl recordings to see if I can match anything up but thought you'd be interested to hear about the incident. 

There's a children's song dating back to the early 1900's, from my neck of the woods, that goes like this:

Wood booger wood booger knockin on a tree, I've been good so stay away from me!

Oh, forgot to add, welcome back hiflier! :)

Edited by WesT

Hello Wes T,

Thank you.

Though I thought I had check all avenues I came across this short clip of two coywolf howls. What I heard was nearly identical to the first howl of the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ze0u1nYU0

If "my" animal had called like the second howl then I wouldn't be posting anything at all. As far as I'm concerned this case is closed. Sorry for the bother. Either way I still had not heard that many calls is such short succession. Ah well, fun while it lasted, eh? Not really a good way to return here after taking a long break but then no one's perfect.

Edited by hiflier

Hello Wes T,

Thank you.

Though I thought I had check all avenues I came across this short clip of two coywolf howls. What I heard was nearly identical to the first howl of the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ze0u1nYU0

If "my" animal had called like the second howl then I wouldn't be posting anything at all. As far as I'm concerned this case is closed. Sorry for the bother. Either way I still had not heard that many calls is such short succession. Ah well, fun while it lasted, eh? Not really a good way to return here after taking a long break but then no one's perfect.

Sorry to hear it wasn't something more interesting hiflier, Those coywolves or coyotes can fool you with their first call, it's usually a straight forward howl and catches you off gaurd, but the second and third are usually preceded by a few barks.

I'll post a couple here for reference. these are some of my favorites.

neches-howls.wav

awesome-coyote.mp3

coyotes 3-12-10.mp3

Quick comment for SouthernYahoo

I appreciate the way you documented the hair you found in Oklahoma and the surrounding findings. 

Thanks for the transparency,

Martin 

Hello southernyahoo,

Thank you, that was a very thoughtful thing to do . And educational as well. I hope a lot of members listen to those clips. And yeah, it was a bit of a let down. In a way I' wasn't too surprised because I had asked the head guy at the Park if he was allowed to talk about Sasquatch. His reply was without hesitation: "There ain't none". We both laughed which I think allowed us to go our separate ways without any awkwardness.

@ Martin,

Oh you are welcome. We haven't done that with every hair that turns up, but that sample had so many indicators of being from local wildlife,it was worth the effort whether it was the source of the sightings in that area or not.

Your welcome too hiflier. We should and probably could put more known calls here on the forum, they can be helpful and better than many of the stock run of the mill audio files found on the net.

Edited by southernyahoo

I'm glad you sent your sample to multiple places to be analyzed.

While I appreciate Henner for his commitment to bigfoot I have long questioned his results.

Hopefully one day someone will be able to end the mystery for you.

Henner had a pretty narrow criteria and it puzzled me why he would hold to the idea all hair had to have no medulla while this wasn't the case on humans or other apes. Maybe I will get them through a lab like Disotell's one day. Meldrum was going to do it, but he gets side tracked too often.