Show Your Best Evidence If You Please.

Guest Crowlogic

Well, I don't really have time to go digging these up at the moment (and any bigfoot skeptic with problems with that:  NO EVIDENCE FOR YOUR POSITION...EVER).

One is in Bindernagel's first book.  I remember two on the BFRO database, one I believe from FL and one from CO.  I may have seen one or two more.  I don't believe any of the sighters had any previous familiarity with the phenomenon.

I'd have to read it again but I think Meldrum's book describes a visual encounter by Bob Titmus that also featured woodknocks.

Admin

DWA I have never seen a report of a BF been seen knocking, could you give me a source?

I agree there are very few eyewitnesses for wood knocking. One that I know of is from a BFF member back in 2005. If you are a premium member, you can follow the link below and read it in the archives. The only reason I can post this excerpt here is because I quoted it before the premium section existed... otherwise it would be against the rules.

It was posted on Jul 22, 2005 on BFF 1.0 by member BigFootie on a thread called "I Saw Wood Knocking" in the sightings forum of BFF 1.0.

He claimed wood knocking is used as a hunting technique.

I will summarize what happened next. The animal held a large stick in it's right hand (paw ?) and hit a tree in front of it (up hill) very hard. The tree was about 14 inches in diameter and the animal swung the stick with all arm, no body twisting.

It stopped and looked up the tree waiting about 2 minutes and then hit the tree again. This time quickly moving to the next tree about 6 inches in diameter and vigorously shook the tree. It was then that I saw there was an animal in the tree acting quite frantic as it tried to climb higher in the tree but was knocked loose by the shaking and fell about 5 feet and was able to grab another branch. It then made a drastic jump back to the original tree which was immediately whacked again 1 time.

I realized it was a raccoon as it jumped back to the 2nd tree which was immediately shook again. The raccoon fell to the ground in a manner that was partially behind the larger tree. There was some rapid movement and the animal stooped and somewhat scooted or shuffled in a squatting position a few feet behind the tree and stopped. I couldn't see if the raccoon was grabbed as it fell or whacked with the stick but there was little movement for almost 5 minutes as the animal remained in a squatting position.

It then stood up and walked into a tighter stand of trees that made it even more difficult to see as it steadily moved south parallel to the ridge line and disappeared into the distance. I waited 20 minutes and approached the area. I didn't find the stick used to hit the trees and I didn't see it carried away, but it could have been and I didn't see it. I did find the right hind foot of the raccoon and ¾ of the tail along with a patch of fur about 2x3 inches in size that I believe came from the top of the raccoons head.

That's all I found. The ground was hard and very rocky, there is not much substrate suitable for holding impressions but I did see some scuff marks that were made. I did look for hairs although quickly as I felt compelled to leave.

Edited by gigantor

I mentioned a wood knocking experience I had in another thread yesterday. But what I didn't tell was the rest of the story. The individual that initiated the knocking on the ridge above me was answered by two more individuals in the creek bottom below me. Which was the direction I was headed when the one on the ridge knocked and was then answered by the others.

My interpretation of this was a warning by the watcher on the ridge to the others that I was coming their way. I had knocked 5 to 10 minutes earlier without receiving an answer. It was as if the watcher was waiting to see what I was going to do. It then revealed its position when it saw the way I was headed as a warning to them.

Guest OntarioSquatch

A couple members of the NAWAC heard one do a wood knock and briefly saw it when they looked in its direction. They didn't see it do the actual knocking, but it was pretty obvious what made the sound and apparently it was to get their attention away from another one that was close by. 

Edited by OntarioSquatch

I mentioned a wood knocking experience I had in another thread yesterday. But what I didn't tell was the rest of the story. The individual that initiated the knocking on the ridge above me was answered by two more individuals in the creek bottom below me. Which was the direction I was headed when the one on the ridge knocked and was then answered by the others.

My interpretation of this was a warning by the watcher on the ridge to the others that I was coming their way. I had knocked 5 to 10 minutes earlier without receiving an answer. It was as if the watcher was waiting to see what I was going to do. It then revealed its position when it saw the way I was headed as a warning to them.

I'm assuming you didn't see a bf do the knocking.  If you didn't, isn't it kinda far fetched to say it was a sasquatch?

t.

There are numerous examples in nature of species developing two forms in order to exploit different aspects of the environment. The two forms are generally referred as 'robust' and 'gracile'. Ravens and crows are one example, lions and tigers another, wolves and coyotes yet another. I have a pet theory that BF is the robust form and we are (as we already know) the gracile form of our species. This might explain why 'human' comes up on so many alleged hair samples (although it might be simply because they are human :) ).

Very interesting!

I know I've seen reports of seeing them knocking things, also breaking and/or pushing down trees or branches. It IS one of the most commonly reported behaviors.

I'm assuming you didn't see a bf do the knocking.  If you didn't, isn't it kinda far fetched to say it was a sasquatch?

t.

No.

What are the odds it was humans, given the circumstances?

One knock on the ridge; two from separate locations in the valley.

How close is this to habitation?  What would other people be doing out there?

The fatal flaw in skeptical analysis of an animal to which the evidence very clearly points is presuming it is always the least likely probability.

If it's real - and the evidence says it is - it's not.

Edited by DWA

BFF Patron

Thanks Gigantor, that account was before my time here and I had not read it. I do not doubt that BF does knocks because I have experienced it from a very close BF that I heard approached my position. But in that case, it was in the form of multiple knocks for the other BF close by that had been whooping back and forth with. A warning that I was there and presented a danger. 4 knocks in rapid succession. In that context, and because of it, I don't knock. Although I have heard knocks in response to my truck door being slammed shut. Apparently the slamming door was interpreted as a knock to answer with a single knock. Of course in the case of the truck door, it could possibly have been a human, answering with a wood knock from some distance away. My theory is that BF only has human encounters when the BF is not aware a human is present and accidently blunders into the human. So I consider human knocking, a positional giveaway, and that makes it easier for the BF to avoid human contact.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

No.

What are the odds it was humans, given the circumstances?

One knock on the ridge; two from separate locations in the valley.

How close is this to habitation?  What would other people be doing out there?

The fatal flaw in skeptical analysis of an animal to which the evidence very clearly points is presuming it is always the least likely probability.

If it's real - and the evidence says it is - it's not.

I heard a perfect series of wood knocks the other day at home along the river.  It was a crow.  Crows and ravens can make the sound vocally.  Every wood knock that can't be explained isn't a sasquatch.

t.

^ at SWWA

Researchers have associated knocks with their arrival to an area and their departure. It is a useful tactic to start a recorder before you arrive to an area you want to study and leave one running on site after you leave to be picked up later. The knocks are so on que at times.

You can also leave a recorder running at spots like the teenager hang outs down by an old bridge out in the woods. You may surrupticiously record the knocks before people arrive and when they leave, along with capturing other peoples class b encounters.

I heard a perfect series of wood knocks the other day at home along the river.  It was a crow.  Crows and ravens can make the sound vocally.  Every wood knock that can't be explained isn't a sasquatch.

t.

Those weren't wood knocks and I am surprised anyone would interpret them that way.  The sounds are very, very different.

That every one isn't...doesn't mean none of them could possibly be.  That sound comes from something with hands.  In NA, the possibilities are limited.

Thanks for the recording Gigantor!

The day that I found that trackway that is referenced earlier in this thread I also heard a wood knock coming from the ridge overlooking that bog. There are no houses, no development at all in that area.

I've been visiting that part of Minnesota since the mid-1970s and heard many wood knocks in the area but I always assumed it was humans way off in the middle of nowhere that for some reason had to make that sound.

Those weren't wood knocks and I am surprised anyone would interpret them that way.  The sounds are very, very different.

That every one isn't...doesn't mean none of them could possibly be.  That sound comes from something with hands.  In NA, the possibilities are limited.

Right- a wood knock is very powerful. I've got two friends that experience them close up- in both cases they said that the tree that got hit really shook. I kinda think a crow can't do that...

t.

Excellent point Terry, it's easy to ignore the prosaic and leap to a paranormal/extraordinary source IF one has been psychologically "primed" to expect the extraordinary.

Guest SoFla

DWA I have never seen a report of a BF been seen knocking, could you give me a source? Certainly they seem to do it, as I have experienced it, but do not recall reading a reported sighting with knocking being observed as it was done. That and observed rock stacking are behavioral interests of mine. Bonehead perhaps you need to have a class for the Finding Bigfoot Crew? Then again they purport to be the BF experts so probably think they don't need a class.

BFF Patron

A large woodpecker can fool you if it is into one or two hits before pausing for a while. Most of them try to imitate a rivet gun so there is no mistaking that. A large one had me going for a while before I spotted it in a tree. With humans as likely to do it as BF, in some areas, the first thing I do is try to determine if humans are in the area. Yes an authentic BF wood knock is powerful, but at a distance it is not, and likely not discernable from some human with a hickory ax handle.