Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

Yah I knew that was a screech owl, but I thought it might be the flipper sound, raccoon's make similar sounds as stated. To answer another question from OKBFan, my house is situated on a Lake with a fairly busy little road in my front yard and a quite protected marsh on either side of that road, creatures including deer and coyotes travel along the lake shore and follow the marsh land back to a farm that borders the marsh and has several 100 acres of corn, I have seen many interesting things right in my backyard including my neighbor taking a photo of a Timber Wolf, I have seen Badgers leaping along the edge of the marsh, my wife saw two Whooping Cranes flying out of the marsh during migration, we have a large heron rookery of over 100 nests, it is really pretty insane for being so close to civilization, but it offers seclusion and some rare habitat that is not polluted as of yet.  That is why I think a family of Sasquatch visit it from time to time, perhaps dropping off the juvenile which I heard reacting to fire works on July 4rth 2013, it started whooping for about 5 minutes straight out of pure delight, I am sure if Momma was around that would not have continued or even ever started. When you hear one of these creatures you will know that it is not anything you have heard before, it may sound humanish, but not something a human can truly imitate, it is a very pure tonality and spans huge ranges in nano seconds. I may have caught the juvenile in the fall whooping again one morning but the recording was not very good, here is an enhanced version trying to isolate the sound. When I heard it live in 2013 it was much clearer and you could hear a distinct rise, also 8 days later I heard it again a 3:50 am reacting to a police car shining a spot light, and that time it had a completely different inflection, one that was obviously questioning in tone, like what do I do now.. more like whooeeeep, or maybe help me momma, and then about 50-100 yards away I hear a deep whoo whoo more like a go go, emphatic and directive. Then all that repeated as both sounds moved off into the marsh.

3 whoops junior going off edited.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

It was the previous two experiences that lead me into this arena and attempting to document what I knew was no known animal to my neck of the woods.

I have researched tirelessly at times trying to understand patterns and movements to know when and how to predict behavior, that is why I pursue this to

this day, I want to pin it down so I can locate them with some regularity.

Thanks for posting the Raccoon chatter vid BigTreeWalker. Two words, more power! Make that three, lots more power lol. Strong and deliberate. 3 short bursts.

I wish I had something better to listen to the drumming sound besides this smartphone. I'd like to hear that on a desktop with powered surround sound speakers.

LCB, that was a very clear recording of the whoops. Thanks for sharing that. So many times I hear recordings of coyotes or wolves, then a discussion of what it could be. All I can say is that they are most likely exactly what they sound like. It's just speculation to assume otherwise. But I must say I am very familiar with many sounds and research the ones I am not. Those whoops are nothing I have heard in the field and there is nothing canine about them.

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the welcome and the replies!

First and foremost, I apologize to you LCB for getting off topic on your thread. I know it's frustrating for the veterans here. As a new member we are limited to posting and have to kind of jump in when we can. This was the first time I came across a discussion with night sounds similar to what I heard, so I had to. Maybe I shouldn't have, sorry. I just want to explain a bit more. Then, I'm out of here.

Wes, I haven't listened to any primate sounds either (or BF) because I don't think it was one. It never crossed my mind at the time. Maybe I will eventually listen to some different recordings of them. Maybe I'm afraid of a match. (Yep, I am!)

I don't think it was a BF. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like they would chase deer for that long. (Would have got one sooner). Why risk coming from the woods into a subdivision after deer? Plus, whatever came into the brush by the porch, whatever made that freaky noise, was not even close to where the deer crossed our yard. Wouldn't an animal tracking them be right on their scent trail? Maybe the deer crossing was not even related to whatever made the sound unless it had spooked them. Maybe it all was just coincidence, two completely separate things?

It's hard to imagine a bobcat or lynx making that much noise. Big cats are stealthy. None of the recordings match. Close, but not really. The red fox that we often see is very quiet and slinks around, but he has come right out into our yard many times. Maybe he was hopping and then pounced on something? Maybe his prey is what was hollering? There was no sound of a scuffle. I haven't been able to confirm the presence of any wild hogs around here. Locals say no, but maybe? Maybe I should look those up, as I haven't yet. Black bear? What I did find and listen to, didn't match. Would one stay hidden and holler at me, or cross our yard?

I understand that animals can and do make many variations of their known sounds/calls. But, the thing that makes this such a mystery is how loud and deep it was. I could feel the vibrations/sound waves from it! That's why I'm pursuing this. I want to know what's out here. It really scared me, and I don't spook easily. I don't want to be scared to relax, or work in my own yard without carrying my gun!

Anyway, you guys were talking about the night sounds, and Wes T asked about a very similar sound he heard, so I thought I should add my incident to the equation, for help. See what the similarities were. Two things are common, maybe three. I'm not sure about his location? We are in TN, the mid - south. It was almost dark, and chilly. Early spring, new growth just out. Noise/sounds were made at the line of two different types of terrain. Mine came from edge of brush or woods, where it meets the grass/lawn. His came from edge of woods, near edge of cornfield. I think that may be a significant clue. Differences: he was with another person and heard more than one series of three sounds/calls. I was alone outside and heard only one series of three. As he said, whatever it was did not sound happy. I also distinctly got that impression. I don't remember any odor. The other times we heard it, it was in the distance, but still loud. Once at my moms, a mile from here. Summer nights, about 11 PM. One set of three distinct calls/sounds. I should also add that my husband didn't hear it. He has been hunting for over 40 years, and fishing since he could hold a pole. He thinks it was likely a big cat as he has seen/heard them around here, but agrees that they are usually quiet when on the move.

If anyone has any ideas, please post or PM. Thanks guys for your help, and to Gumshoeye for answering my questions, and helping me to analyze what I do know. You have been very helpful, and I appreciate your patience, insight and advice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WesT

Posted Today, 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting the Raccoon chatter vid BigTreeWalker. Two words, more power! Make that three, lots more power lol. Strong and deliberate. 3 short bursts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry this post was so long. I tried to cover everything, as we only get two posts per day.

Thanks

BeachNut

No problem BeachNut. And talking about unknown sounds is right on topic and LCB probably enjoys seeing the thread that he started help others.

Another coincidence, we're wihin 200 miles of each other. Just hearing your description of the lay of the land I'd say there's probably a deer ambush setup (of unknown origin) somewhere relatively close by. The one I studied was about 25 yards into the treeline from the edge of a cornfield.

Well I've put it off long enough, I'll research the sound and hopefully find a match.

Beechnut  check out the sound clip on this link, the first one that is Puma. A mountain lion could make a sound that you feel as much as hear. If the sound was so deep that you felt it as much as heard it you are describing a large size animal. The mountain lion can make a very pronounced sound when moving in a "loping" fashion a type of stride that cats use to move quickly away or to close ground to a prey target, If you positively, by seeing or other means, identify what it is feel free to come here to talk about it, especially if it is something that bothers you very much. It helps to get those things off your chest so to speak and there are several people here that have had experiences at their homes. http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Cougar_Puma_Sounds

The screech owl was cool , never knew there was a different one in the west. Here is the eastern version ours is a little creepyer (if that is a word) http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-Owl/sounds

Here is the ruffed grouse the noise the male makes when drumming can be felt as much as heard and makes your ears feel like they are vibrating, they roost at night so you should not be hearing these at night.  http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Grouse/sounds

Edited by David NC

Another interesting owl sound I hear on and off is a barn owl, which honestly when I first heard thought it was a prehistoric, it might best be compared to 

a buzzard in its scratchy, raspy, call.  The barred owl is famous for being mistaken by researchers, but it's many variations can be identified once known. 

The strange moans I have heard at times might be canine in origin, but I have not heard a recording illustrating those moans so I still am on the fence with

some of them.  Especially circumstantially, one comes after tree knocking and another similar on comes right when I go inside the house, both seem to be

responses of some type. Listen below, the patio door closing sounds like a shooooook, then a moaning sound....use head phones when listening to any

of these clips, start with low volume and bring it up safely.

Banging Moan Howl.mp3

Moan Howl after I go inside.mp3

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

• 3 weeks later...

Recorded Sunday evening, which was the night of the new moon, I have heard from other researchers that tree knocking is somewhat more predictable during

this moon phase, but I have no reason to believe that assumption, only that animal activity seems to peek around the full moon, and to a lesser extent around

the new moon, that is my fishing experience at least.  So on a beautiful evening I seem to have captured nothing, thats how it goes most of the time.

BeachNut

Some surprisingly loud and powerful growls can come from a little bobcat http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Bobcat_sounds_audio

Check out "Bobcat growl 5" and "Bobcat snarling growl 1" Either one of those heard close by on a solo nightly bushwhack would send me packing.

Thanks for posting that link. It's amazing how such a small cat can sound so big and fierce! Actually, Bobcat sounds 3 & 4 are very close and are a better match than the other bobcats I have listened to. Each of those clips contain a brief sound that if I could isolate it, and take away all of the growling "clutter", then repeat it two times with the volume cranked, I might have a match. We did see a good sized one by our pond last year.

Also, thank you David NC for posting the link. A couple of those sound similar, too. We know there are some big cats around here, no matter what the officials say because people have seen them. One guy we know says he had one come up behind him while he was hunting. He said it was dark, maybe all black, and way bigger than a bobcat. Shook him up because he never heard it, but sensed something so turned around. He no longer takes our Venison Jerky in his pocket while hunting! Lol.

Well, unless there are Velociraptors in TN, 😉 then I guess it was some type of cat hollering at me. Would have loved to catch that critter on video making that noise! I leave the floodlights on at night now, and we are clearing back that section of trees/brush.

Thanks guys! I will post here again if I see or hear it again.

I've said it before but it bears repeating. I love all of these sounds. All of 'em. Thanks to you all.

Southernyahoo, with the low drumming file. I took me awhile to hear it but I did, from about second 3 til second 5. It was an interesting couple of sounds which did sound like drumming or two rumbles. At second 6 there is a single tap and then from 7 - 8 there is a quick series of three more taps. Neat audio, thanks for sharing it.

I didn't hear "drumming".   What comes to mind is the sound of waving a long thin stick REALLY FAST in a circle overhead.    Kind of a "whoosh" with a bit of oscillation.  

Beats me.

MIB