Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

That would be a weird thing to hear out in the forest MIB.

Bodhi, that is an excerpt from a larger file which contains some of what I consider "most suspect" in terms of bigfoot, but didn't want to alarm BeachNut if it was a match to what she heard. 

BeachNut, It seems you heard a growl then, and loud foot steps? Tennessee does have bears, but not sure if you can feel their growls at 20 feet.

That would be a weird thing to hear out in the forest MIB.

Bodhi, that is an excerpt from a larger file which contains some of what I consider "most suspect" in terms of bigfoot, but didn't want to alarm BeachNut if it was a match to what she heard. 

BeachNut, It seems you heard a growl then, and loud foot steps? Tennessee does have bears, but not sure if you can feel their growls at 20 feet.

With regard to the distance sounds travel in the forest; A group who's name I can't recall, did a series of tests in wooded areas on the distance sound traveled in those areas. They were focused primarily on tree knock distance and, again, I do not recall the details but what I do remember is that sound doesn't travel very far and gauging distance/direction can be tough.

With that being said, I think Southern is correct re: hearing growls as 20ft.

I do love audio, just fascinating stuff.

Edited by Bodhi

Thanks for the replies.

Southernyahoo, I cant call it a growl, though by definition I guess it was. I can hear it very clearly in my mind/memory, but I just don't know how to describe it with text. It's really frustrating! The only thing I've ever heard that is close - and you guys are going to laugh - is the sound that the Velociraptors made in Jurassic Park. Those short, loud bursts of sound. Slightly deeper and ending with OW. It didn't sound like it came from down low, if that makes sense? Maybe a few feet off the ground.

Yes, whatever it was came from the field beside our house, stepped or leaped through the brush, stopped abruptly before coming into our yard, and within a couple of seconds let out those loud, freaky sounds. At the time, I got the very distinct impression that it was not happy.

Wes, we never found anything suspicious when we walked the trails last weekend. Nothing that couldn't be natural in origin. However, this happened several months ago.

Bodhi, I read that study also. I remember them discovering that the wood knocks would have been closer than they thought. It was an interesting study.

Since that time, through my research, I have read that there have been both black bear (sightings and tracks) and BF reports very close to us 😳 though we have not seen either one. Who knows how reliable some of these websites are?

All I know is that it scared us, and my time spent outside is not the quite the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Southernyahoo, I cant call it a growl, though by definition I guess it was. I can hear it very clearly in my mind/memory, but I just don't know how to describe it with text. It's really frustrating! The only thing I've ever heard that is close - and you guys are going to laugh - is the sound that the Velociraptors made in Jurassic Park. Those short, loud bursts of sound. Slightly deeper and ending with OW. It didn't sound like it came from down low, if that makes sense? Maybe a few feet off the ground.

Yes, whatever it was came from the field beside our house, stepped or leaped through the brush, stopped abruptly before coming into our yard, and within a couple of seconds let out those loud, freaky sounds. At the time, I got the very distinct impression that it was not happy.

Sounds like it might be the "vixens scream" made by a Fox.

Edited by southernyahoo

Repeatedly I keep hearing a progression on banging sounds, this time at 4:30am, duck hunting is still 2 hours away as I understand it, today the

banging was followed by gun shots, and the sounds were distinctly different. Unless the gun shots were very distant and traveled across the water

of the lakes and carried to my window. Suffice it to say we are coming up on the Full, or Harvest Moon of September, a peak for Sasquatch activity

and I have gotten some definite hits during the next two weeks going back to 2013, particularly the next week,,,, Thus the recorder is out and

doing it's job. Earlier this summer I believe activity was occurring but I was not able to capture the wood knocking my wife kept hearing in the late

night/early morning hours. My apple tree still holds the majority of apples, albeit the wormy version, rabbits, wood chucks, squirrels, chip monks and deer make use of the fallen ones, the highest ones remain.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I didn't hear "drumming".   What comes to mind is the sound of waving a long thin stick REALLY FAST in a circle overhead.    Kind of a "whoosh" with a bit of oscillation.  

Beats me.

MIB

Snipe will make that sound when displaying in flight.  It's the way they dive and it's the sound of the wind in their wing feathers.

t.

It's called a Ruffed Grouse and only the males do it and only in the spring to attract a mate. So if wasn't in spring when you heard the drumming it's something else....

No, they drum in the fall as well.  I have one drumming here now (Ontario) and I shot one grouse hunting that was in the middle of a drum.  (I kinda felt bad about that.)

t.

Wes, we never found anything suspicious when we walked the trails last weekend. Nothing that couldn't be natural in origin. However, this happened several months ago.

Hey BeachNut, it was worth a shot and got y'all out of the house for some exercise lol. I'm going to check out the Velaceraptor sound and see if its close to what I heard.

No, they drum in the fall as well. I have one drumming here now (Ontario) and I shot one grouse hunting that was in the middle of a drum. (I kinda felt bad about that.)

t.

Thanks for heads up Terry. I guess you shut that boy down before he could score. I wonder why he was drumming in fall? I could have sworn the article I read said it was a mating call they did it only in spring. Maybe anytime is a good time for a Grouse? lol

It is to attract hens but fall drumming is pretty common.  Maybe it's youngsters or just amorous males.  I have one here drumming a lot these days and I think of our conversation here every time he does. lol 

t.

• 5 months later...

I've been working on organizing some of my files this winter, it does take time. So I've found more that go into the Drumming folder, and plenty more of interest. After two years of regular recording, patterns are emerging. One of the most common sounds I've found, besides knocking or percussive noises, are popping sounds that sound like people can do with their mouths. Strange, but I have read about such sounds in some reports.

At times, I'm noticing similar sounds at different times, as if they perhaps could be the same voice. One example is very odd and in my folder called Weird Clicks. There are others, but these are the loudest two. Headphones and high volume required. If anyone's heard something like this, let me know.

I will be taking up the recording soon, it is early spring in the upper Midwest, I have not had luck at this time in the past, but last year we heard woodknocking almost every morning at sunrise for several weeks in the early summer, that was new to me as I expected activity to start up later in the summer. Of course I only have about three years of experience in knowing they use the area. An interesting thing happened this week, a couple of miles down the road someone put up a life size silhouette of a Sasquatch walking along a fence, you know the big black plywood type. Well that makes me wonder if they did that in response to some activity they have had in the past or something spurred their interest. It is just not something you see in Northern Illinois, especially so blatant. Stan Courtney told me other activity has been reported in my area, just not any class A sightings. I hope to be the first in a long while to have that sighting. Now my job as a Head Golf Professional takes me thru a lot of county side, and I can alter my route in order to go thru some pretty good areas after dark, and leaving very early in the morning, so I can up my chances. It really is not that out of the question to have a road crossing. That seems to me to be my best chance given my scheduling, but I sit up at night at times trying to catch on out in the open behind my house, it may happen that way as well.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, OiO, just saw your post. I've posted wav files, which aren't always compatible with devices. Try a current desktop computer.

LCB, you are right on, and maybe consider dashcams. I still recommend audio for anyone in similar situations, if possible.

I recently recorded something interesting next to a woodline along a creek. This is the approach, then it knocked the recorder around and left. Too loud, so I cut that part off. I noted that my earlier footsteps were barely audible, but I did walk in the grass. Headphones and high volume required.

Steps.wav

How high off the ground was the recorder JKH? If it stood on the ground while touching the recorder, it could rule a few critters out. That was close enough that there should be more foot falls as it walked around.