The Strange Case Of Cullen Finnerty

Rockape

Guest 67Mopar

The tiny Tarsier is the only primate that uses ultrasound. Also, ultrasound does not cause dizziness or nausea, though it can cause death at extreme decibels. Ultrasound can cause heating of tissue, but this is generally absorbed through the blood and surrounding tissue. There other effects, none of which include the effects of infrasound. 

Musicians are typically hyper-sensitive to infrasound, so I am quite familiar with the effects. One of the lesser talked about effects of infrasound, is vertigo and nystagmus.

Bolding mine. 67Mopar, not sure how in two consecutive sentences you state two different points. Vertigo is the most common state of dizziness.

Well, one pertains to ultrasound. The other pertains to infrasound. Capisce

Guest 67Mopar

Please excuse the double post... I could not fix it otherwise.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. Primates do not use infrasound. The effects you and others are experiencing is a nervous reaction via the sensation of pending danger, real and/or imagined.

Would you care to explain how a nervous reaction or sensation of impending danger makes a wave form on a sound graphics analyzer?      Quite frankly a series of pressure waves is easier to explain than recording nervous reaction and sensation of pending danger on a audio digital recorder.   

I will kindly ask, that you please refrain from "cherry picking" threads for the purpose of self-promotion. I had already conceded to the possibility of infrasound in my last post... Perhaps, you missed it?

Whether or not a nervous system reaction can be monitored was never part of the conversation, until now. 

67Mopar:  You are new so probably have not read my thread in the Field Work Section.     Infrasound Preliminary Event.     No reason to rehash it here.    I believe I am the first to knowingly record infrasound from a suspected BF.  

I have not read it. Many mammals emit infrasound, of course... Are you merely insinuating that these readings are being emitted by a Sasquatch, or do you have proof? 

SSR Team

The tiny Tarsier is the only primate that uses ultrasound. Also, ultrasound does not cause dizziness or nausea, though it can cause death at extreme decibels. Ultrasound can cause heating of tissue, but this is generally absorbed through the blood and surrounding tissue. There other effects, none of which include the effects of infrasound. 

This seems to suggest that ultrasound can and does cause dizziness and nausea - http://archiwum.ciop.pl/59815

According to the results of studies in the 1960s and 1970s, “audible†components of the noise

spectrum are, above all, responsible for subjec- tive symptoms among workers exposed to noise emitted by ultrasonic devices [9]. However, according to Smith, Nixon and von Gierke, sig- nals with frequencies over ~17 kHz and level exceeding 70 dB may cause negative symptoms among exposed workers such as excessive fatigue, nausea, ear fullness and headache [24].

Holemberg, Landström and Nordström exposed 10 workers for 2 min to noise of an ultrasonic washer, then the workers assessed discomfort and irritation. They concluded that noise emitted by ultrasonic washers with level over 75 dB(A) caused annoyance and discomfort [25].

In 2005, studies on exposure to noise were con- ducted among 166 production plants workers, who reported high-frequency and ultrasonic noise at their workstations. The workers defined it as wheezing, whistling or squeaky. Over 84% of workers had follow-up hearing examinations. Subjective assessment showed that 13% of par- ticipants had poor hearing and 50% had difficul- ties with hearing normal speech [26, 27, 28, 29].

Pawlaczyk-ÅuszczynÌska, Dudarewicz and SÌliwinÌska-Kowalska studied the effect of ultra- sonic noise among 25 operators of ultrasonic welding machines, mainly women aged 20–56 [30]. Participants subjectively assessed acoustic conditions at workstations, complaints and sensa- tions related to noise at the workplace, and self- assessed their hearing and health. About 29.4% of the workers did not report any complaints related to noise at the workstations. The rest com- plained of fatigue (36.8%), headache (12.1%), somnolence (5.3%), dizziness (5.3%) and palpita- tions (5.3%). The workers described noise as loud (52.6%), uneven (44.4%), sharp and unpleasant (44.4%), annoying (36.8%), irritating (36.8%) and interfering with work (16.7%). About 26.3% of the workers complained that noise interfered with conversations, listening to the radio (21.1%) and made concentration impos- sible (5.6%).

It is worth mentioning that some subjective effects of exposure to ultrasonic noise such as fatigue, headache, discomfort or irritation may disturb human cognitive functions [31, 32, 33, 34].

Guest 67Mopar

"...Smith, Nixon and von Gierke, sig- nals with frequencies over ~17 kHz and level exceeding 70 dB may cause negative symptoms among exposed workers such as excessive fatigue, nausea, ear fullness and headache [24]." 

Speculation is not proof.

Guest ChasingRabbits

I don't care if he was drunk, stoned, and rolling... It still doesn't explain why there was no criminal investigation. 

Maybe there was nothing that indicated it was criminal?  If Finnerty's death resulted from him losing his footing and falling 300 ft, there would be no criminal investigation unless there was something that pointed to him being pushed or thrown down.

If he misused prescription drugs (taking too many, taking them with street drugs, taking them with alcohol, etc.) and death resulted from it, it probably won't result in a criminal investigation UNLESS there was some kind of prescription fraud. For example, he gets his prescription narcotics from a "pill mill".

Someone calling and saying they were being followed and then they show up dead?  There's enough there alone to investigate.

But what was the cause of death?

If there are obvious signs of violence (gun shot wound, broken limbs), then sure those calls would be a clue that something criminal occurred.

But according to the news reports, there wasn't any sign of violence upon his corpse.

I would think there was at least some investigation into all of this, just because it was not announced as a homicide or criminal investigation doesn't mean they didn't look into that possibility.

Tigers are believed to paralyze prey momentarily with infrasound.

Size and physiology are more a factor here than species.  The argument that no other primates use infrasound, so bigfoot don't, is superficial at best.  There are plenty of things that we, humans, as primates, do that no other primates do.  The reason often is that we have the capability to do things other primates cannot and have determined that there is an advantage in doing them.

With regard to bigfoot, infrasound as a directed capability is a physiological possibility due to the volume of the lungs and the ability to emit powerful vocalizations.  Since bigfoot has the physiological capability to use infrasound it would likely learn to use this capability to its advantage.  Doesn't matter whether or not other primates do or not.

The ability to affect something else with infrasound depends on focusing the infrasound into a powerful burst at a frequency to which the target is vulnerable.  If a nerve bundle, for example, can be forced to resonate at given frequency, then its normal function could be disrupted, possibly resulting in paralysis and the other symptoms described.

I can think of a couple of instances where I and others suddenly pulled up short with an uneasy feeling and decided to take a different route.  This could be have been due to a low intensity infrasound warning.  Just enough to let us subconsciously know that something was ahead of us.  I offer this because it's the closest thing I've personally experienced, though I was in one situation where one of my friends, who was within arm's reach of an adult male bigfoot, was rooted to the ground for the duration of the encounter.  I was unaware of the possibility of infrasound at the time and didn't discuss it with him from that perspective, though.

Anyway, as an engineer, I was initially skeptical about "zapping", but after looking into it from a biomechanical perspective, I'm not so ready to dismiss it.

Going out on a limb, an intelligent creature, capable of focusing powerful infrasound signals in a given direction may actually develop the ability to elicit a number of effects.  Aside from temporary paralysis, a modulation designed to produce uneasiness (warn subjects away) is possible, as might be a modulation designed to calm a target (an infrasound purr or croon).

This is just speculation, but is within the realm of possibility.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Please excuse the double post... I could not fix it otherwise.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying it. Primates do not use infrasound. The effects you and others are experiencing is a nervous reaction via the sensation of pending danger, real and/or imagined.

Would you care to explain how a nervous reaction or sensation of impending danger makes a wave form on a sound graphics analyzer?      Quite frankly a series of pressure waves is easier to explain than recording nervous reaction and sensation of pending danger on a audio digital recorder.   

I will kindly ask, that you please refrain from "cherry picking" threads for the purpose of self-promotion. I had already conceded to the possibility of infrasound in my last post... Perhaps, you missed it?

Whether or not a nervous system reaction can be monitored was never part of the conversation, until now. 

67Mopar:  You are new so probably have not read my thread in the Field Work Section.     Infrasound Preliminary Event.     No reason to rehash it here.    I believe I am the first to knowingly record infrasound from a suspected BF.  

I have not read it. Many mammals emit infrasound, of course... Are you merely insinuating that these readings are being emitted by a Sasquatch, or do you have proof? 

I meant no offense but did not want to make those that have been around a while suffer through reading what has already been discussed in length unless you or someone else is interested.  Since you are discussing it I would think you would be interested in the topic.      Relative to that I will stick by my recorded data and wave forms as there is nothing else known in nature to produce them.     I even checked with USGS earthquake readings and there was none in the immediate area during that time frame.      While, as I said, I did not see the producer of the infrasound,   I did find a BF footprint in the area after the event.     I would say with the recording and the footprint,  that is more evidence than anyone else has provided supporting the use of infrasound.   "Proof" would be hard to come by even if I had a video of the producer simultaneously done with the recording.    Someone could argue that it could have been produced by something other than the BF in the video.     Proof of infrasound use would pretty much require a ticked off BF in a cage to get.   Not something that is likely to happen soon.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Guest 67Mopar

I meant no offense but did not want to make those that have been around a while suffer through reading what has already been discussed in length unless you or someone else is interested.  Since you are discussing it I would think you would be interested in the topic.      Relative to that I will stick by my recorded data and wave forms as there is nothing else known in nature to produce them.     I even checked with USGS earthquake readings and there was none in the immediate area during that time frame.      While, as I said, I did not see the producer of the infrasound,   I did find a BF footprint in the area after the event.     I would say with the recording and the footprint,  that is more evidence than anyone else has provided supporting the use of infrasound.   "Proof" would be hard to come by even if I had a video of the producer simultaneously done with the recording.    Someone could argue that it could have been produced by something other than the BF in the video.     Proof of infrasound use would pretty much require a ticked off BF in a cage to get.   Not something that is likely to happen soon.  

If they're out there, the military has captured and/or killed them. No question about it. 

BFF Patron

I have to agree with you on that.    If the military would weaponize dolphins, think of what they would like to do with a 9 foot BF?    Getting a BF to cooperate would be the hard part.    They seem to have their own agenda.  

JDL:    If you look at the frequencies I measured and how they were used,   (I would have to look at my notes for the exact frequencies)   it started at just over 4 HZ slowly ramped up to 14 something HZ then dropped down.     It was almost like the BF was looking for the sweet spot that had the most effect on me.     It was a series of positive pressure waves that went positive, then  negative, then had a slighter amplitude  positive pressure peak, then space before the next wave.    It was not sinusoidal but appeared to be a rapid release of discrete pressure waves much like a machine gun firing.         Meldrum talks about this in his book relative to large apes.     Some method of expelling air, in a stuttering manner,  could be the source of the pressure waves.      The huge lung capacity could provide the volume of air necessary to produce it.      Close encounter witnesses describe the volume of air being expelled with each breath with normal breathing as quite remarkable when a BF is very close.    .  

A bigfoot would have to be very close to create a pressure wave that you can physically feel due to compressed air.  The transmission of infrasound, however, is another matter and could be perceived as a physical sensation by the body as nerves, bones, and even organs (including the skin) resonate to changing frequencies.

Guest 67Mopar

My fiance's cousin, said that the scream (pressure or otherwise) literally pushed him slightly while he was running away. 

I forgot to mention... His mom referred to it as a "booger". 

Edited by 67Mopar

....Why no investigation? If it took four months to determine a cause of death, why was there no criminal investigation during this four month period?....   

I would think there was at least some investigation into all of this, just because it was not announced as a homicide or criminal investigation doesn't mean they didn't look into that possibility.

There was an investigation that clearly included coordination with the relevant law enforcement agencies.  

In this case, the answer is in the link in the OP.  The Kent County Forensic Pathologist (also identified as the Chief Medical Examiner) conducted the investigation.  He was supported by several other medical experts; however, they could not pinpoint the exact medical cause of death.

The investigation also involved police – Old Dog links to a Detroit Free Press article which is based on police reports obtained through a FOIA request.  Several pages later, we have quotes showing that the county sheriff’s office and state police were involved and treating it as a crime scene.

The lack of clarity on the medical cause of death is likely due to the fact that identifying exact medical causes and effects isn’t as easy as TV makes us think it is.  As Chasing Rabbits points out, it can take sophisticated medical centers months to figure out a medical cause of death.  Also, what we perceive as lack of information (e.g., photos of the corpse, more specific medical notes) may simply be a lack of public information.  Most FOIA statutes have broad provisions that would allow withholding of this information and I doubt that the family would have any motives for releasing photos of the corpse of their son/husband.  

As to theories that "It's far more likely that the coroner or police department lied to the public, to spare the family the embarrassment of a death related to drugs and/ or alcohol."   No, just no.  Any police officers or coroner’s officials who falsified one report – even for a theoretical “good†reason – have just lost all credibility whenever called upon to testify in the future and have probably caused all prior cases they’ve handled to be reopened.

Cause of Death? Undetermined and in the absence of a need to pinpoint the precise cause, it will likely remain UnDetermined.   Manner of Death? Accidental.   

*Edited to find a readable font and to remove some extra spaces. 

Edited by Trogluddite

Guest 67Mopar

As much as I want to NOT believe in the existence of this creature, there are just too many unexplained occurrences. In the CF case we have: Debris thrown... Phone call "being followed" - "not answering"... One oar missing... Cell phone tracked up to 4 miles away... Cell phone moving away as search party closes-in... Wadders on, 1/4 of a mile from boat... 4 months to complete an autopsy... No release of the phone records/recordings... No investigation...

Sasquatch lives! 

Edited by 67Mopar

Guest ChasingRabbits

As much as I want to NOT believe in the existence of this creature, there are just too many unexplained occurrences. In the CF case we have: Debris thrown... Phone call "being followed" - "not answering"... One oar missing... Cell phone tracked up to 4 miles away... Cell phone moving away as search party closes-in... Wadders on, 1/4 of a mile from boat... 4 months to complete an autopsy... No release of the phone records/recordings... No investigation...

Sasquatch lives! 

Did they find the cellphone? (I don't recall reading if it was or not.)

If he was delirious, could he have mistaken the sounds of the search party for those of the people following him?