Sasquatch Summit

Old Dog

BFF Patron
On 11/20/2016 at 2:50 PM, JKH said:

Not too hard to figure that area out. Too bad they'll probably log it, sorry hairy peeps!

Think I read Noel's book with that in it, disagreed with a fair amount. I've recorded drumming etc., seems other primates use it for certain purposes.

Thank you again for the updates. Wondering about the town hall reports, many locals from the sound, anything that stood out?

Derek several years back was experimenting with real veneers of bark on cams but they were fairly thick and hard to deal with and configure.  The more modern approach to forming them with silicone looks much more functional to me.  There were alot of town hall reports.  I sat by one gentleman and his wife who had a road crossing.  The tribal blessing chief lived in Taholah.  I spoke to a tribal member last year who was an educator, like the Chief' grandson was who was present at the blessing.  I was told a young student on his bike was coming up the road at dusk on his bike when a hairy man made a road crossing directly in front of him moving toward water apparently.   It upset the boy badly and he spun his bike around and departed with great haste and went straight to an elder.  Although they revere the Sasquatch they also believe there is a need for cleansing ceremony according to this tribe member I spoke to.  There is still an element of respect, but some fear but mostly respect.  They believe they will not hurt you but they don't believe in tempting fate and going into a great deal of discussion about incidents was what I was being told.  Wished I could have talked to the chief more about this but he was on a schedule and hard to move with 350 in the room.  

What stood out is in my previous post, no human can change interactional vocals like Sasquatch, not monkeys, not gorillas and certainly not orangs.  The "wahoo" vocal of baboons was played by Ellis and not heard because of distorted auditorium speakers.  It has been likened to several of the more recently captured Sasquatch vocals.  David was nice enough to let me hear the selection with earphones and there is something to this.   The sasquatch daybeds researched in Mason Co.  were similar to gorilla beds, differing vegetation of huckleberry tips/branches all snapped off at an equal level around a whole area and piled up.  

Edited by bipedalist

16 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Derek several years back was experimenting with real veneers of bark on cams but they were fairly thick and hard to deal with and configure.  The more modern approach to forming them with silicone looks much more functional to me.  There were alot of town hall reports.  I sat by one gentleman and his wife who had a road crossing.  The tribal blessing chief lived in Taholah.  I spoke to a tribal member last year who was an educator, like the Chief' grandson was who was present at the blessing.  I was told a young student on his bike was coming up the road at dusk on his bike when a hairy man made a road crossing directly in front of him moving toward water apparently.   It upset the boy badly and he spun his bike around and departed with great haste and went straight to an elder.  Although they revere the Sasquatch they also believe there is a need for cleansing ceremony according to this tribe member I spoke to.  There is still an element of respect, but some fear but mostly respect.  They believe they will not hurt you but they don't believe in tempting fate and going into a great deal of discussion about incidents was what I was being told.  Wished I could have talked to the chief more about this but he was on a schedule and hard to move with 350 in the room.  

What stood out is in my previous post, no human can change interactional vocals like Sasquatch, not monkeys, not gorillas and certainly not orangs.  The "wahoo" vocal of baboons was played by Ellis and not heard because of distorted auditorium speakers.  It has been likened to several of the more recently captured Sasquatch vocals.  David was nice enough to let me hear the selection with earphones and there is something to this.   The sasquatch daybeds researched in Mason Co.  were similar to gorilla beds, differing vegetation of huckleberry tips/branches all snapped off at an equal level around a whole area and piled up.  

Interesting to me that they would choose to "prune" the branches of a berry bush foodsource versus say, evergreen boughs. Depending on what time of year it was done, I wonder if said "pruning" might actually benefit the plant and help to create a larger crop for the next year? And maybe these bushes are just so dang plentiful that it doesn't matter if a few are sacrificed. Still, I found it a bit surprising. I mean, perhaps it's not only Man that wastes food and other natural resources?

If it is evergreen huckleberry, my old haunts closer to the coast had literally square miles of the stuff.   It would not be a loss as a food source, it'd be like taking 2 corn stalks out of a 1000 acre patch.   Depending on time of year they might even take the broken bows back, berries and all, and eat the berries while building the nest of the remains.  

MIB

• Upvote 3

BFF Patron

There are much easier patches to get to than that one, animals are opportunistic and wouldn't work hard to get to that spot for berries alone.  It was remote and hard to get to, or, there would have been no daybeds or any kind of beds there.  That said open patches will be formed if that area is logged and it may become once again the berrypatch for opportunistic feeders. 

Edited by bipedalist

Thanks for posting this, BTW. I'd seen much of this vid in other forms, but not the pine cone throwing at the end. Truly. Remarkable.

This past summer while camping near Yuba Gap, CA, I had notable set of loud and crisp tree-knocks just above camp (my brother heard the first, and I heard the second as I awoke a few moments later). We also experienced "cone fall" as we lounged around camp in the afternoon, but I couldn't figure out it they were being thrown or just naturally occurring. There were nearby pines, and squirrels. So that's for sure the best choice. Reasonable, even. But after seeing that vid (and knowing we'd had knocks just one hundred yards or less up the ridge) I have to wonder if we weren't being playfully engaged. I didn't have the courage to ask for a cone shower as Christopher does. Next time!

I didn't realize he tacked the pinecone episode on the end of that. Being in the woods in the fall when the squirrels are harvesting cones is really quite an experience. Especially in the higher elevations with true firs (big cones) in the area. I've stalked squirrels dropping cones thinking they were elk feeding. I've heard knocks that sound really good but knowing a squirrel is working certain trees I've realized it's them. So with my experience with squirrels in the fall I'm really careful to try to determine what is actually making all the racket. But if something is really throwing cones and not just dropping them that would be interesting. However, most of the woods I've experienced cone fall in are coniferous forests so I would have to go with squirrels being the culprits.

Besides I don't know if he included it in this clip or not but in the one I watched before with the cones, he actually films squirrels running by on the ground with cones in their mouths... Hmmm! 

On December 1, 2016 at 2:28 AM, BigTreeWalker said:

But if something is really throwing cones and not just dropping them that would be interesting.

Something really IS throwing cones.  

52:40 -- CN shows us he is standing (or sitting) under deciduous trees, not conifers. (He also shows that deciduous leaves fall through the air with each pinecone strike.) The pinecones are being thrown; they are not falling straight down.

47:00 -- CN asks, "Can you throw one closer to me?" and in the next three minutes, 7 cones "fall" within 15 feet of him. 

47:50 -- CN is hit directly (after asking that the Sasquatch hit him).

49:00 -- CN describes seeing the trajectory of an incoming pinecone, and the arc shape of that trajectory.

49:11 -- CN says, "Can you hit me?" 

49:21 -- CN is hit on the head with a pinecone.

My comments were not meant to offend. I was sharing my experiences from the PNW. CN is back east, different woods, different environment. But if there's one thing I've learned it's that this subject requires much scrutiny. I know, because what I have shared has been both scrutinized and criticized. But, as in the example with the squirrels, I will go to the normal first and try to get to the bottom of it. I'll be the first to admit that doesn't always work. CN was there, he knows the circumstances, I wasn't. I wish I had been. So I won't criticize him for his experience. But I will share mine in a different place at a different time. 

5 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

My comments were not meant to offend. 

No worries. Just wanted people to know that CN’s video contained evidence that supported his contention that a BF was throwing pinecones at him.

Your work has been truly amazing, and we’ve all seen how much scrutiny and criticism it has received. I wish I believed all the scrutiny and criticism you received was fueled by simple scientific curiosity, but I don’t believe that. So you – and anyone who bothers to go into the woods and make interesting discoveries of any kind, and has the temerity to talk about those discoveries – have my profound admiration.

And because there’s so much agenda-building masquerading as “normal” scientific scrutiny, I think it’s important to exercise as much restraint as possible when it comes to criticizing someone else’s work. That restraint prevents you from unwittingly contributing to the agenda-building.

The bad guys want us to believe we’ll get more points from them if we beat someone else as badly as they beat us. But are those “points” worth the cost (even presuming you get any – which 99% of the time, you won’t)? And by “cost”, I mean the cost to our own self-respect. We diminish ourselves when we hurt someone else needlessly.

Personally, I think the cost is not worth it. 

Edited by LeafTalker
  • Upvote 2