Olympic Peninsula Nesting Area Update

BobbyO

Guest OntarioSquatch
On 2017-06-30 at 3:48 AM, Night Walker said:

Like, when? Where? Which were the samples of legitimate Bigfoot DNA that Disotell failed to identify?

The most notable one is the blood sample he got from Snelgrove Lake 

He's also admitted on podcasts to doing a lot of testing in the past for Meldrum and others, and getting that same result

It's important to take into consideration the entire history of DNA testing of samples from North America to get an idea of what's going on. Other notable ones are

- Hair sample sent to Sykes by the NAWAC

- Hair sample sent to Sykes by Henner Fahrenbach

- Scat sample sent to a lab by Alton Higgins

- Fahrenbach's early testing of DNA from hairs and analysis of hair morphology

http://www.sasquatchcanada.com/uploads/9/4/5/1/945132/kts_p_176-177.pdf

BFF Patron
21 hours ago, hiflier said:

Don't know. Do you somehow know that it is ignoring Sasquatch?

My point was that I don't think it is ignoring Sasquatch.     I think several government agencies know at some levels, and are keeping a lid on it for some reason.      In a way I am glad I don't know the reason.    It sometimes is not a good thing to know too much about what the government is up to and why.  

31 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

My point was that I don't think it is ignoring Sasquatch.     I think several government agencies know at some levels, and are keeping a lid on it for some reason.      In a way I am glad I don't know the reason.    It sometimes is not a good thing to know too much about what the government is up to and why.  

OK, and agreed. In a way this brigs me full circle from about a month ago. Should I just start in again to address the bolded? Probably not a good idea (looks over shoulder to see if certain BFF members are watching from the shadows).

• 1 month later...
SSR Team

nest 1.jpg

nest 2.jpg

nest 3.jpg

nest 4.jpg

• Upvote 1

I understand what they're trying to do there, but I hate to say I don't understand logistically how they could prevent contamination.  Getting the nest(s) from the field to what appears to be someone's garage, then that many people with potential stray hairs on their clothing and person doesn't seem to be unquestionable evidence gathering.  At the same time, I'll be the first to say that if you don't look you won't find anything.  Thanks for sharing BobbyO!

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron

The Achilles heel of DNA is contamination.     Look at pictures of workers in DNA labs.    They are dressed in clean suits in clean rooms.    Given the environment in that garage,  one could always argue that something came in on someones clothing.    Have they been to to the zoo lately?    Just got back from a trip to Africa?   Now where did that ape hair come from again?    I see a lot of bare arms.     Is that hair found in the nest that exhibited human traits and DNA from the nest or someones arm picking through it?    No way to know.    You have to have way better protocols to expect DNA to prove anything.  

Guest OntarioSquatch

Contamination is always a possibility, but a low one if proper protocol is followed during collection and transportation. Even if a sample is somewhat contaminated, there's still a good chance that you'll get the right DNA, as the sample is almost entirely made up of the DNA that you're looking for. 

If the person assessing the results believes that Sasquatch are an undiscovered species, then they would definitely dismiss any result of modern human as contamination. The only way to break through this common barrier of understanding is to either use a tremendous amount of critical thinking or obtain a type specimen that can test over and over again to the point where the interpreter is left with no choice, but to accept that this is either a person with birth defects or the result of advanced genetic manipulation.

For a multitude of reasons (some well known here, some not), I don't believe we'll obtain a type specimen. If we don't, and of the government doesn't want to disclose what's actually going on, then this cycle of testing and dismissing will continue to repeat itself for a long time

• masterbarber pinned this topic
BFF Patron

I applaud the diligence in testing/sampling.  It would seem that short of clean suits, hair nets may have been in order rather than baseball caps; but hey it is not a clean room environment anyhow

http://www.particlecounters.org/blog/positive-pressure-versus-negative-pressure-in-cleanrooms/ so hope something comes of it. 

Assuming they find DNA .. and they should .. the impact of contamination exists on a sliding scale.   If bigfoot is markedly different than human it should not be difficult to tell what is bigfoot and what is contamination.    The closer they are to us, the more similar "contamination" and sample are, the more difficult it gets to separate the two.   If bigfoot truly is substantially different than us, this will be no big deal.   If they are much like us, it leaves the door open to assumption whatever is found is contamination leading to summary dismissal of the O.P.'s efforts regardless of their validity, yet another body blow for those desiring proof of existence.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Guest kjaaleks

Sigh, these photos just took the wind out of my sails as it pertains to this project.

Now honestly, I don't know what protocols they should be following but darn it shouldn't have been hard to put a clean room together instead of this garage. Seriously, a framed and drywalled room with the seams taped would have been clean and more "sterile" than this. I could frame out and drywall a 10X10 room with a ceiling in a weekend. One day with help. It really would have been cheap and easy.

Also, I see some hairnets but comes on. Tyvek suits from Home Depot are cheap. I also see that bearded guy without a beard net and with no mask, plus the other guy with no mask. I just feel that this should have been done much much better. It would be cheap and easy to outfit people in a much more professional (looking at least) way than this.

This is all especially true when your'e getting thousands of dollars from the crowdfunding campaign.

If this study only results in botched results and human dna, let's remember these photos with huge amounts of regret.

^^ Good post.

I applaud their effort but there does seem to be rather obvious flaws in the attempt to prevent contamination.  It leaves most any results in doubt.  

4 hours ago, kjaaleks said:

If this study only results in botched results and human dna, let's remember these photos with huge amounts of regret.

But Human DNA is something I expect! When you really think about this creature, it's physical make up, bipedalism, and generally enough Human looking that hunters hold off on shooting them then, yeah, I EXPECT Human DNA. To throw out past DNA examples because they showed Human DNA IMO was a gross mistake. If the mitochondrial DNA says Human and the nuclear DNA say Human and ......something else, then I truly think they are hitting the nail right on the head. If it's true that Humans were in California 130,000 years ago, and that Humans historically mated with other hominids, then the offspring of those matings could very well be EXACTLY what everyone is chasing in the woods.

Just tossing my two rocks into the camp here and more research is needed to firm this up but as far as DNA goes to date this is what the tests have been showing.

I loudly applaud the group's effort. They're out in the woods making things happen.

Kudos folks and keep up the great work!!

Edited by wiiawiwb

110% agree wiiawiwb! Wait a minute.......I don't think one can BE 110%.......OK, 100% then. But that still counts as a lot doesn't it? ;) Folks were whning about why not test the nests for hair and other substances and now that they are doing it folks are whining still. Isn't anyone ever satisfied around this joint? If no one will do this work then what is there to do but find those hairs the best way they know how. I see it as it could be a lot worse than what that photo is showing. I'm just grateful someone is doing something to follow this up and am waiting for the full documentation of the process and procedures before I'll pass any judgment on them. YEESH folks, they are looking for HAIR- not doing the DNA testing. The DNA testing has an entire washing process to clean the samples. Leave them alone and let them find the samples first.

Edited by hiflier

Who is whining?  Pointing things out in their procedures is being done along with credit and appreciation for the effort.  Constructive criticism is not whining.  

• masterbarber unpinned this topic