Impossible Animals Do Exist, So Why Not Bigfoot?

Guest ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

Common name: Chimpanzee

technical name: Pan troglodytes

Subspecies: Central chmpanzee / Western chimpanzee / Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee / Eastern chimpanzee .

etymology (chimpanzee): 1738, from a Bantu language of Angola (cf. Tshiluba kivili-chimpenze "ape"). Short form chimp first attested 1877.

etymology (troglodyte): cave-dweller," 1550s, from L. troglodytae (plural), from Gk. troglodytes "cave-dweller," lit. "one who creeps into holes," from trogle "hole" (from trogein "to gnaw;" see trout) + dyein "go in, dive in.

discovered: probably is being reported since pre-history

region: Africa (Pan troglodytes troglodytes, in Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, the Republic of the Congo, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo; Pan troglodytes verus, in Guinea, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, and Nigeria; Pan troglodytes ellioti, in Nigeria and Cameroon; Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii, in the Central African Republic, the Sudan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, and Zambia.

myths: I really would like to see literature about this, the local names, their inherernt legends.

particularities: few cases of hairless chimps, few cases of true bipedism, tool making, communication, auto-recognition, obvious parenting with humans

C'mmon....! How can humans descendent from this troglodytes ancetral common link? Impossible! Everybody knows women were created from the ribs of some guy, the.. Atom... something like that!

lukaya.jpg

Pan troglodytes troglodytes (the closest to humans)

76510.jpg

Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii

Here-is-a-pic-of-a-hairless-chimpanzee.jpg

Hairless Chimp

chimp%21%21.jpg

Hariless Chim

article-1322472-0BB40E63000005DC-205_634x588.jpg

Hairless Chimp

DSC_1449-2-800.jpg

Hairless Chimp

Bald%20Chimpanzee_08.jpg

Hairless Chimp

PS: I really would like to read some literature related to local myhs or legends and or it's local atributed names as chimp's role in tribes and societies. (I am not being sarcastic, I'm really interested in this mythological / sociological inherent to great ape's and monkey's subject. I would also like to understand why some chimpanzees got hairless (desease, parasites, social stress, wathever reasons may be).

For last, i give the astonishing case of Oliver the Chimp (a "normal" chimpanzee although with extraordinary diferent feautres as fisionomy, bipedism, and behaviour amidst humans). He's still alive!

ngbbs447e11769a6b9.jpg

probably belonging to the sub-species pan troglodytes troglodytes or a sub-species of it

see the documentary about Oliver

Edited by ZeTomes

Guest ZeTomes

Note for posting:

Please, if you'd like to participate sharing your "impossible" creatures, please do with the same standards as the previous posted. Thank you

Guest ZeTomes

Do insects count?

All species count!

I only ask you to post a single creature each time (or the gama of subspecies of a single species - ex: common chimpanzee (all subspecies of pan troglodytes) with the technical info attached to (as within my posts or similar)

Thanks for sharing!

:)

Edited by ZeTomes

Frilled Shark

Exhibiting several "primitive" features, the frilled shark has often been termed a "Living Fossil".

Common Name: Frilled Shark

Scientific Name: Chlamydoselachus anguineus

Discovered: Between 1879 and 1881

Distribution and Habitat: Rather uncommon, the frilled shark has been recorded from a number of widely scattered locations in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. In the eastern Atlantic, it occurs off northern Norway, northern Scotland and western Ireland, from France to Morocco including Madeira, and off Mauritania. In the central Atlantic, it has been caught at several locations along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, from north of the Azores to the Rio Grande Rise off southern Brazil, as well as over the Vavilov Ridge off West Africa. In the western Atlantic, it has been reported from off New England, Georgia, and Suriname. In the western Pacific, it is known from southeastern Honshu, Japan, to Taiwan, off New South Wales and Tasmania in Australia, and around New Zealand. In the central and eastern Pacific, it has been found off Hawaii, California, and northern Chile.

gallery_352_48_7435.jpg

gallery_352_48_15906.jpg

gallery_352_48_3300.jpg

gallery_352_48_4187.jpg

Guest RayG

It was brought up earlier, but I'll mention it again -- the platypus.

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Monotremata

Family: Ornithorhynchidae

Genus: Ornithorhynchus

platypus.jpg

From wikepedia:

"First encountered by Europeans in 1798...It was thought that somebody had sewn a duck's beak onto the body of a beaver-like animal."

I mean c'mon, a web-footed, fur-covered, egg-laying mammal, with the beak of a duck, and the male has a venomous spur on its leg? What are you smoking man?

RayG

Edited by RayG

All species count!

I only ask you to post a single creature each time (or the gama of subspecies of a single species - ex: common chimpanzee (all subspecies of pan troglodytes) with the technical info attached to (as within my posts or similar)

Thanks for sharing!

:)

Here's the whole page.

To me one of the most improbable examples of mimicry is the Saber-toothed blenny. It looks like a Cleaner wrasse. acts like a Cleaner wrasse and bites like a little shark.

Sabre-toothed blenny

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sabre-toothed blenny Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Actinopterygii Order: Perciformes Family: Blenniidae Genus: Aspidontus Species: A. taeniatus Binomial name Aspidontus taeniatus

Quoy & Gaimard, 1834 The sabre-toothed blenny, Aspidontus taeniatus, is a species of blenny that mimics the "dance" of Labroides dimidiatus; a similarly colored species of cleaner wrasse. It tricks fish into offering their underparts to be cleaned. Instead of eating parasites from the scales of the fish, the sabre-toothed blenny bites the victim and rushes away. Fish that have in the past been victimised in that way might attack other blennies innocently trying to groom them.

It is indigenous to coral reef habitats in the Indo-Pacific.

Combtooth blennies include other species of sabre-toothed or biting blennies. Some have similar scale-eating habits, but coloration different from Aspidontus taeniatus.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1028_021028_TVtubeworm.html

giant-tubeworm.jpg

Along the Galápagos Rift, off the storied Galápagos Islands, is a hotbed of volcanoes and hydrothermal vents that spew boiling soups of metals, salts, and poisonous gas. These seemingly inhospitable vents are home to some of the toughest, most exotic life on Earth, including clams and mussels as big as dinner plates and bright-white tubeworms six feet long.

The giant tubeworms, discovered during a pathbreaking exploration of the rift in 1977, forced a rethinking of life on the ocean floor. The rift lies 300 miles (500 kilometers) north of the Galápagos Islands, and the seafloor extends 8,000 feet (2,500 meters) below the waves.

"The rule of thumb was that only small organisms could occupy the deep sea," says Tim Shank, a biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts and co-director of a recent expedition to the Galápagos Rift organized to mark the 25th anniversary of the hydrothermal vent discovery.

"We knew there were microbial communities that could survive without sunlight or oxygen, but tubeworms are massive life-forms," he added.

The recent expedition focused primarily on tubeworms, which have developed unique adaptations to their environment.

These worms live in pitch-black ocean depths in water laced with acid and toxic gas—harsh conditions that may resemble those in which life first evolved. Scientists want to decode the tubeworms' survival skills.

No Stomach, No Gut, No Eyes

Kang Ding, a geochemist at the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis, devised a new sensor to explore the worm's world inside and out. "This is the first time we have tried to put a sensor into the actual worm," Kang says.

To deploy Kang's new sensor, scientists descended to an ocean-floor vent inside Alvin, a deep-sea submersible able to withstand the crushing pressures of two-mile (three-kilometer) depths.

The pilot in the submersible maneuvered Alvin's robotic arm to slide the probe into a worm, inch by inch. Every four seconds the probe measured the temperature, acidity, and concentration of two gases (hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide), all of which are critical to the survival of the tubeworms.

The new probe enhanced the scientists' appreciation of the tubeworm's uniqueness.

"Actually, the tubeworm has no stomach, no gut, no eyes. It is basically a bag of bacteria with an aorta and gonads," Shank says.

Guest RayG

Whoa momma, is there any way some of the photos can be reduced in size just a wee bit before posting them? My poor old 'puter nearly chokes whenever I open this particular thread.

My platypus image, for example, is only 272 x 185 and 7.23 KB in size. I got it by searching for google images of the platypus, saving one of the thumbnails to my computer, and then uploading it to photobucket. That keeps the image small, quick to load, and still large enough to clearly see the subject being discussed. Just a suggestion.

This hairless chimp photo for example is more than 10 times smaller (7.44 KB) than the one that was originally posted here (93.43 KB).

hairlesschimp.jpg

That second alligator Gar picture in post #11 is 6,256.78 KB in size, nearly 1,000 times larger than the platypus photo, and as much of a monster as the real thing. :unsure:

RayG

Guest RayG

Nice... I have Irfanview on my computers so I can resize and manipulate those cumbersome pics from my digital camera. I can also use it to grab screen images, crop them, and save for later use. Nice little free program.

RayG

Guest RayG

I can also use it to grab screen images, crop them, and save for later use.

Like I just did...

screengrab.jpg

RayG

aye-aye_2.jpg

"The Aye-aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis) is a strepsirrhine native to Madagascar that combines rodent-like teeth with a long, thin middle finger to fill the same ecological niche as a woodpecker. It is the world’s largest nocturnal primate, and is characterized by its unique method of finding food; it taps on trees to find grubs, then gnaws holes in the wood and inserts its elongated middle finger to pull the grubs out.

The Aye-aye is the world’s largest nocturnal primate, and dwells predominantly in forest canopies. It weighs about 2.5 kilograms, with the female weighing in slightly less (by an average of 100 grams) than males. Other than weight and sex organs, aye-ayes exhibit no sexual dimorphism of any kind. They all grow from 30-37 cm from head to body, with a 44-53 cm tail.

The adult Aye-aye has black or dark brown fur covered by white guard hairs at the neck. The tail is bushy and shaped like that of a squirrel. The Aye-aye’s face is also rodent-like, the shape of a raccoon’s, and houses bright, beady, luminous eyes. Its incisors are very large, and grow continuously throughout its lifespan. These features contrast its monkey-like body, and are the likely cause of why scientists originally deemed it to be a rodent.

The Aye-aye’s hands are arguably its most unique feature. Much like other primates, it possesses opposable thumbs, but both the hallux and the fingers are long and thin, and appear to be in a curved position somewhat similar to that of a fairy-tale witch when the muscles are relaxed. The middle finger can be up to three times longer than the others.

The Aye-aye lives primarily on the east coast of Madagascar. Its natural habitat is rainforest or deciduous forest, but many live in cultivated areas due to deforesting. Rainforest Aye-ayes, the most common, dwell in canopy areas, and are usually sighted upwards of 700 meters altitude. The Aye-aye sleeps during the day in nests built in the forks of trees."

yeti_cra.jpg

"Yeti Crab (Kiwa hirsuta) is a crustacean discovered in 2005 in the South Pacific Ocean. This decapod, which is approximately 15 cm long, is notable for the quantity of silky blond setae (resembling fur) covering its pereiopods (thoracic legs, including claws). Its discoverers dubbed it the "yeti lobster" or "yeti crab" .

The ‘hairy’ pincers contain filamentous bacteria, which the creature may use to detoxify poisonous minerals from the water emitted by the hydrothermal vents where it lives. Alternatively, it may feed on the bacteria, although it is thought to be a general carnivore. Its diet also consists of green algae and small shrimp.

Although it is often referred to as the "furry lobster" outside the scientific literature, Yeti Crab is not a true lobster but is more closely related to squat lobsters and hermit crabs. The term "furry lobster" is more commonly used for the genus Palinurellus."

http://lumq.com/10/w...s-in-the-world/

<ETA quotes and spaces>

Edited by LAL