Field trips 2.0

BC witness

hiflier, I believe that you have a pick up. Is dry ice available to you?  It is easy to travel with dry ice with a pick up. Next up, liquid nitrogen for those multi-day adventures.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:47 PM, norseman said:

Checked the game cam. Only had pictures of me twice! Despite there being 5000 deer tracks surrounding it! One deer brushed it I think! Bunch ah horse manure.

I bought it with Cabelas points. A browning btc-4ex command ops elite

8093B762-359B-42D9-BDEB-37AEF33E4A68.jpeg

A14E8866-BD88-4830-92F3-2CDE16DFC820.jpeg

CC48CD09-C81E-47FA-9F4C-CA72DCC43383.jpeg

6710FAA0-B278-4E46-A0D1-BDEB2F38DFD0.jpeg

30A80132-1761-42ED-A9B0-B79745D5F988.jpeg

Oh so an update. I didn’t know a 32 card came with the camera. So I bought a 64 card extra from Cabelas. The camera doesn’t like the 64 card at all. So I’m running the 32 card and posting the pictures in the field section. Hay is holding, tomorrow will be a week. The deer are small potatoes against elk and moose I guess. I didn’t even know Moose ate alfalfa. But our resident Moose has seemed to have moved on.

8 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

hiflier, I believe that you have a pick up. Is dry ice available to you?  It is easy to travel with dry ice with a pick up. Next up, liquid nitrogen for those multi-day adventures.

No need but thanks for the suggestions. This time of year block ice lasts for two weeks or better. I also am cautious about using dry ice because of the out gassing of CO2 in a closed space. Dry Ice is very cold, yes, but doesn't last very long. Last time I couldn't get block ice and so got bags. They are still in the cooler after a week but half gone. I got another block this time around. In the novel I wrote, the occupants of an older SUV kept a specimen on dry ice but the container was sealed since it was inside the vehicle with them. And yes, a pick up with a cap (sleeping quarters).

Big Blaze cut trail for 2 of my buddies Jeeps today. The one Jeep is on 33’s and could follow me OK. The four door Jeep got stuck repeatedly and we finally chained up the front end. I never got stuck but my forward progress got stopped several times. At one point I jumped out of the K5 and was in knee deep snow.

F6BB4846-B521-4DFC-ABC6-9B4CDDDA0080.jpeg

A83F730D-F24C-4D35-A34F-963DB8B98A05.jpeg

BD7FD37F-BF27-4FF8-B9C7-40D7C8523613.jpeg

3E747CD1-6CC5-4CDF-90DF-41A1626A5D34.jpeg

E64FD3B4-5ACB-42D1-A831-906D847DE0A7.jpeg

AE14B9CE-C664-4B76-B4B8-15A566DAD874.jpeg

03503B6D-B3A7-470E-9071-033C81B4BAA4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I'm so jealous of a day out like that. Our forest district FSRs have been closed to the public since mid November, due to the two big storms that caused all the flooding and highway closures. Only authorized personnel are allowed into the woods until the trails have all been inspected and repaired where necessary, so my hunting season and squatchin' outings have been on hold for over a month now.

33 minutes ago, BC witness said:

I'm so jealous of a day out like that. Our forest district FSRs have been closed to the public since mid November, due to the two big storms that caused all the flooding and highway closures. Only authorized personnel are allowed into the woods until the trails have all been inspected and repaired where necessary, so my hunting season and squatchin' outings have been on hold for over a month now.

Darn! Better drop south! You can come stay with me anytime bud!

A winter wonderland.  That amount of snow will test any vehicle's snow prowess.  You can tell from your pictures that the white, 4-door Jeep was less clearance than the red one.

Looks like fun!

• Thanks 1

Man, I'd love to come down to Wa. and see if my H3 with rear locker could keep up with your K5 in the snow, but it aint happening anytime soon, with border restrictions tightening up again, and my wife now totally wheelchair bound. Someday, norse, someday!

• Like 1

I heard last night that the FSR closure has been rescinded, so I should be able to get out over the holidays for squatchin' and 4 wheeling, but hunting season is closed, so no fun there.

• Like 1

While they indeed have been rescinded, there are still washed out sections and closed sections. Proceed with a great deal of caution, BC witness.

Yes, cmknight, I read all of the FSR reports that were released; many of the roads I often travel are still severely damaged, and won't be repaired until the resource users need them again. I still feel squeezed out of large parts of "my" area, but I can at least get a little mud or snow on the tires now. :-)

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic