Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Amazing snow, @norseman! I"m just a little jealous. The last time it snowed here was around 4 years ago. Beautiful and you're prepared for it, which is the winning ticket.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hiflier said:

How old is that yellow beast?

1956. It’s my father in laws D4 7U. I’ve inherited it with the place. My Dad had one too but it had a gas pony motor which was a giant pain.

The primary clutch is going on it. And you can’t go to the CAT store to buy parts. Just trying to get one last winter out of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, you know what they say, it ain't the age, it's the mileage, or in your D4 7U's case both: Age and hours. I figured it to be somewhere around the 1970's but '56 puts that baby at 65 years old. A real tribute to its class.

• Thanks 1

Hey, norseman, call Tony Beets, he's probably got parts for the D4 in his "boneyard" ;)

You definitely have a little more snow than I do: 

IMG_0899.thumb.JPG.afd2573170e6286c106d7807d614e44c.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, norseman said:

1956. It’s my father in laws D4 7U. I’ve inherited it with the place. My Dad had one too but it had a gas pony motor which was a giant pain.

The primary clutch is going on it. And you can’t go to the CAT store to buy parts. Just trying to get one last winter out of it.

Dad still owns a 69’ D4.  Runs like a champ but the impellers are shot in the water pump so it can only run about 45 mins before it’s hot.  Still gets used on my great uncles farm though.  Not worth trying to repair given how little it is needed.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Amazing snow, @norseman! I"m just a little jealous. The last time it snowed here was around 4 years ago. Beautiful and you're prepared for it, which is the winning ticket.

It snowed all day here in Dallas Oregon. It didn't stick in town, however, it stuck at my parents house just 325' in elevation from my house here in town. It seems like when it is cold enough to snow here, it's clear skies and when there is precipitation, the temp is just above the point of it sticking.

Lucky People, You two all got snow. All we had here in Detroit was rain. ill! Norseman, that is some snow you have to clean up there. I sure do not envy that but do envy the snow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

I thought you guys got hit by that 12 ft storm?

I live in the best microclimate in the entire region. It's a bluff overlooking a big delta of two major rivers. Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla, and everywhere else in the region get lots more snow than we do here, often over twice as much. We're warmer here, too, plus have excellent southern exposure. The state experimental farm is our hext door neighbor, and it was located there because this is the very best agricultural spot in the state. Across the delta are the Chugach Mountains, and they're covered with deep snow. This spring the delta will be host to hundreds of moose escaping the deep snows, and the two wolf packs of the region (the Knik Pack and the Elmendorf Pack) will be there, too...........

• Like 1

My step daughter, her husband and kids live in Eagle River outside of Anchorage. My wife and I have an open ended invitation to move up there and work for them. I'm not a heat person, so Arizona is out although I have the same invite to work for good buddy Tony in Kingman and I'm not a cold weather person, so Anchorage isn't what I want to do. Mild climate is what I need, so Western Oregon suits me the best. 

• Upvote 1

Sun came out for about 45 minutes. Then it went back to flurries.

Snow in spots is about waist deep. Less under the trees. I wish my tracked Grizzly turned like a snowmobile. Instead it turns like a 69 Mack with two front flats…..

I really want a snowmobile, but I hate two strokes. In the used affordable market that means only Yamaha. Skidoo’s ACE motor is catching up of late. But still pricey…

44BCCCD9-716C-4B50-9246-CD969BFEAF73.jpeg

6BCE7390-821F-4D0E-8CF9-40CA548AB3D8.jpeg

8A276562-CDF6-42B2-962B-858FFA102ACC.jpeg

78E9BD71-9773-46C7-98FC-765125162EAD.jpeg

EE7F521A-D02C-492F-84DE-C53C0F8EFF07.jpeg

13A0FB53-97BD-4413-9460-063C98F45915.jpeg

883920E6-00DB-4618-9341-3F549BEA7D86.jpeg

9EC38F20-C724-467E-9C69-193EF46A01A6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic