Area X/NAWAC updates?

dopelyrics

Admin

@Matt Pruitt is a member here, perhaps he can provide an update on what NAWAC has been doing.

Admin

• masterbarber pinned and unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, masterbarber said:

I listened to that podcast when it was released in the summer, but am not aware of further updates. I believe the intention was to have the project going right through the winter as they expected a long battery life span on the game cams due to the infrared/night photos being deactivated. It is a very interesting experiment and I look forward to hearing about the results.

We've always heard that trail cams haven't produced results because IR can be detected by a sasquatch.  I'm going to consider the strategy of deactivating IR. Setup one trailcam leaving IR on and deactivating all the others. Maybe we can catch a sasquatch that takes a wide berth, to avoid the IR trail cam, with the deactivated ones.

Clever idea by NAWAC.

Glad to hear that NAWAC is actively pursuing video and photo capture again, after abandoning that strategy post Operation Forest Vigil.

The podcast provided a clear explanation of the differences between Operation Forest Vigil and the new strategy.

I wish them success in capturing photographic evidence.

While I understand the rationale used for disconnecting the IR flash at night on the game cameras, I don't understand the overall strategy for doing that since they will not be able to capture any photos or video at night.

I always thought that probability of detection increases with the time the camera is active on the field.

They are assuming that probability of detection at night is low or zero when IR flash is active. Thus, they chose no effective cameras at night.

I guess they are assuming that if one wood ape detects the IR flash at night from one camera, then all wood-apes in the area will also know about its location (via some form of communication?) and will also avoid the area during the day?

I like the Hadrian Wall idea and the alignment of the 24 cameras so that they capture the cameras themselves within their field of view (to see if any animal is disturbing them).

Would be interesting to do one year without IR flash in all the cameras and one year with IR flash on all the cameras, to see if it makes any difference on detection of the rest of the fauna in the area.

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

There's a new NAWAC podcast that's just been released (maybe two days ago) if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

So how long have they been at the same site claiming routine contact but still basically have nothing but cool stories? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Admin
On 1/9/2021 at 1:29 PM, Foxhill said:

So how long have they been at the same site claiming routine contact but still basically have nothing but cool stories? 

https://www.woodape.org/

Admin

Interesting development from September 2020:

Admin

Looks like it has definitely caused a rift in the NAWAC. Should make for an interesting future

BFF Patron
On 12/25/2020 at 3:49 AM, wiiawiwb said:

We've always heard that trail cams haven't produced results because IR can be detected by a sasquatch.  I'm going to consider the strategy of deactivating IR. Setup one trailcam leaving IR on and deactivating all the others. Maybe we can catch a sasquatch that takes a wide berth, to avoid the IR trail cam, with the deactivated ones.

Clever idea by NAWAC.

Deactivating IR on reconyx has caused me nothing but trouble and missed opportunites, I think they need to do a rethink

If you want to just do something like time lapse, have at it!  Can't figure out why I can't edit my posts tonight?

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

Deactivating IR on reconyx has caused me nothing but trouble and missed opportunites, I think they need to do a rethink

If you want to just do something like time lapse, have at it!  Can't figure out why I can't edit my posts tonight?

My opinion is that we sometimes get lazy,  put a camera on a few trees and just expect BF to forget they are there and blunder into them.  If they are constantly moved,  not observed being installed,  camouflaged and not easy to see,  BF will make the mistake of blundering into one.  My mistake was finding an active area and not deploying enough cameras.  Lazy does not get rewarded.  

m