Area X/NAWAC updates?

dopelyrics

My all time favorite college course was a photography class on approaching wildlife. It was my first exposure on body language, which I later built on when I worked with a deaf man for a number of years. 

Among the first lessons on body language is slow, indirect approach, and no staring. Perfecting techniques can result in essentially maintaining arms reach proximity to prey species like Dall sheep, caribou, moose, etc. 

Of course, when doing this with animals as large and potentially dangerous as moose, bear, and wolves, there is risk. The same would hold true with sasquatches, at least at first.

I have done this with wolves. I have not done this intentionally with moose or bears (except bear baiting with me in trees or at a distance, or calling moose in close for a shot), and I will not approach moose or bears intentionally. They are dangerous, and I'm not going to take that chance.

When in close contact with wolves, I spoke softly, and in every case, they responded in a curious, peaceful posture. Recalling that, and remembering the old adage that "music calms the savage beast", I wonder how animals might respond to soft singing, especially from a feminine voice?

I agree

There are plenty of accounts of them being attracted to guitar playing and singing. 

So think it might be something interested to try. 

BFF Patron

I think how different things would be if wolves at some point in mankind's past,  were not attracted to a kind human voice and sharing of a bone.    What if at the same time moose were that easily lured in with a handful of grass and wanted to hang around for more?        I think we got the best deal with what became domesticated dogs.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I think how different things would be if wolves at some point in mankind's past,  were not attracted to a kind human voice and sharing of a bone.    What if at the same time moose were that easily lured in with a handful of grass and wanted to hang around for more?        I think we got the best deal with what became domesticated dogs.  

LOL......maybe if Neanderthals had spent some time training moose instead of eating them, we'd have better mules today. We don't call them "swamp donkeys" for nothin'. The problem is that they taste so good!

I've called bull moose up to within hand feeding distance. Kinda' scary, actually. Bulls are pretty peaceful, except in rut. In the past I've had a bull live in my garden for a week or so in mid-winter as he scratches up leftovers. 

FEA56A75-7FBF-4D99-9806-50B37189BAC5.jpeg

68A057DA-89DF-4CB1-8C54-D616C0621B13.jpeg

2B91E520-0EE3-4EB0-B69B-2699EA18B937.jpeg

405DB3EC-D036-4FAE-A33D-B8C63F60EE82.jpeg

No idea you rode them.  I want one.  Do they come metal alloy hooves and Bluetooth. 

Just curious!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Franco said:

No idea you rode them........

I don't. I eat 'em.

Do they come metal alloy hooves and Bluetooth.........

Nope, and standard equipment is a bad attitude.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

LOL......maybe if Neanderthals had spent some time training moose instead of eating them, we'd have better mules today. We don't call them "swamp donkeys" for nothin'. The problem is that they taste so good!

I've called bull moose up to within hand feeding distance. Kinda' scary, actually. Bulls are pretty peaceful, except in rut. In the past I've had a bull live in my garden for a week or so in mid-winter as he scratches up leftovers. 

Blasphemy!

Yup I would. No idea you rode them.  I want one.  Do they come metal alloy hooves and Bluetooth. 

Just curious!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Franco said:

Yup I would. No idea you rode them.  I want one.  Do they come metal alloy hooves and Bluetooth. 

Just curious!!!!!!!

Eh?

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

LOL.........c'mon, wouldn't you want a moose in your paddock?

I don’t think so. None of my tack would work. And wild animals generally remain wild, it’s like Russian roulette. Packing mules and horses are tough enough in the mountains.

Big Sam was 18 hands and 1800 plus pounds. You could buck 4 ft deadfall and not know it in yer ass. He was like riding a magic carpet through the woods. He was hard to stop though. Hard headed and had a tough mouth.

I bet I could have packed a whole elk out on him. But he was my saddle mount. Looked close to the one pictured. Out of a Belgian mare.

AE99EFBE-540A-43BF-8AD2-931739CF0261.jpeg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Huntster said:

I don't. I eat 'em.

Nope, and standard equipment is a bad attitude.

**** and I wanted one... LMAO

BFF Patron
15 hours ago, Huntster said:

FEA56A75-7FBF-4D99-9806-50B37189BAC5.jpeg

68A057DA-89DF-4CB1-8C54-D616C0621B13.jpeg

2B91E520-0EE3-4EB0-B69B-2699EA18B937.jpeg

405DB3EC-D036-4FAE-A33D-B8C63F60EE82.jpeg

I was amazed when I first started flying into Anchorage and saw the moose all over the downtown area.    I kept my distance but I am surprised that more tourists have not been injured trying to get pictures.  

I see these mules out of draft horse stock, and all I can think is the Jack must have had a lot of help! I mean, is there a chute or, umm....appliance that helps that, or are we talking A.I. with a turkey baster? Inquiring minds want to know. 

• Haha 1

• masterbarber pinned and unpinned this topic