Area X/NAWAC updates?

dopelyrics

BFF Patron

They just broke up a big poaching ring in Clark and Cowlitz County.  WA that went all the way into Oregon.    

By MADELYN REESE/Longview Daily News

Published: May 18, 2017, 6:02 AM

Up to 10 individuals from Cowlitz County are the target of a massive poaching investigation in Oregon and Washington that looked into the killings of dozens of deer, elk, bear, cougar and other animals over several years, according to court records and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife officers.

The investigation began in December, when Department of Fish and Wildlife officers received a call from Oregon State Police Fish and Wildlife officers.

Oregon officers had set up hidden trail cameras after finding headless deer on several trails.

The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Department investigation led to several Cowlitz County residents. More than 20 search warrants have been served connected to this investigation.

When officers served the warrants at several Cowlitz County residences in March, they found more than 25 deer and elk skulls, said Capt. Jeff Wickersham of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.

“They had taken the heads and left the rest,” Wickersham said. “That’s what got us into the primary investigation. At the same time (Oregon State Police) had seized photo and video on their phones.”

Photos from the suspect’s phones include images of 26 deer heads and sets of antlers, graphic and grisly photos of dogs attacking bears, and multiple bear, wildcat and deer carcasses, Wickersham said.

Using dogs to hunt black bear, cougar, bobcat or lynx is illegal in Washington and Oregon.

Videos obtained and shared by WDFW don’t show the faces of any suspects.

But in one video, a man can be heard shouting “Come on boys, get him!” as several hounds surround what appears to be a black bear.

Another video shows a poacher aiming a rifle at a cornered bear at close range and firing.

After the bear falls, up to eight hunting dogs descend on the bear, biting and ripping it apart.

Names of the suspects have not been made public because they have not yet been arrested.

“This is not the normal activity we see,” Wickersham said. “This was taking place in broad daylight in public areas. Typically we see this at night or behind a locked gate where nobody can get to.”

Wickersham said he’s never seen a poaching ring or killing spree of this size.

He said it’s likely the largest of its kind in Washington and Oregon.

Mike Cenci, deputy enforcement chief for the Department of Fish and Wildlife, said he believes that most of the investigation is close to wrapping up.

“There’s a great deal of evidence. Officers have been sorting through that,” Cenci told The Longview Daily News. “And once that is completed, then it’s off to the prosecutors office.”

Cenci said the poached animals came from Southwest Washington and Oregon, though he declined to elaborate on specifically where they came from.

However, he did comment that the mule deer came from Oregon in an area that is “tightly secured for hunting” and where it is highly competitive to get a hunting tag.

Cenci lamented the fact that this organized poaching ring went on for so long, and so many animals were lost in the process.

He said that chronic understaffing was a large factor in why nothing was done sooner.

He said enforcement officer numbers have declined about 25 percent since the merger of the Department of Fisheries and the Department of Wildlife by the Legislature in 1994.

“So you have 135 Fish and Wildlife officers that are responsible for public safety and natural resources across the entire Washington landscape, 365 days a year,” Cenci said. “It’s a depressing number for protecting natural resources and public safety.”

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Today. Because you can go get food stamps.

My mother and aunt where raised by their grandpa. He was a old crippled logger that poached deer. He had a model T pickup with a hollowed out seat and a broomstick Mauser that fit in the buttstock. Would take the family black berry picking and shoot the fattest doe he could find.

Well, we kind of live in today.  My grandparents on mom's side hunted for dinner in Appalachia.  I get that and 100% support it.  Gave me as  a homemade coonskin cap (or maybe squirrel) when I was a kid.  I don't think the concept of poaching existed back then.  My impression from watching multiple Smeja interviews, he was not hunting because he was hungry.  Schmuck is the best word I can use on this forum to describe him and am happy to double down on it.

Got problems with "bush meat" in sub-Saharan Africa?.:

https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/16936/20150923/illegal-ivory-25-walrus-killed-alaska-raise-poaching-concerns.htm

..........A total of 25 walrus along an Alaskan beach were found decapitated. This large-scale slaughter prompted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to investigate, and while the cause of death has not been determined, they believe it could be linked to the illegal ivory trade. Walrus tusks are made of ivory.

"We can't say with any certainty what the cause of death here was. You know, these animals, from the photos, do appear to have their heads taken off, but we can't make any assumptions that that's why they were killed, if they were, in fact, killed," Andrea Medeioros, of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said in a statement. "You know, people can take the heads if they find a dead walrus on the beach." 

Under the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act, it is illegal to hunt walrus solely for their ivory and not their meat..........

But they caught these guys:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Four-sentenced-for-2015-walrus-slaughter-near-Cape-Lisburne-420025043.html

...........Four Point Hope men have each been sentenced to three years of probation and numerous other penalties for the wasteful slaughter of several walrus near Cape Lisburne in September of 2015, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

Prosecutors say the four defendants—identified as 24-year-old Adam T. Sage, 21-year-old Michael R. Tuzroyluk Jr., 27-year-old Guy S. Tuzroyluk, and 24-year-old Jacob Lane—shot the walruses during two hunting trips, salvaging only the animals’ ivory tusks and leaving the rest to waste.........

Oh, BTY, this walrus poaching/wasting was committed by young men from the same village as the example I linked above of the slaughter of 130+ caribou that were left on the tundra to rot.......which Old Mort somehow found objection to. I guess I'm a racist or something........sorta' like the village elders that refuse to cooperate with either state or federal authorities that regularly show up to investigate this kind of crime. 

I've gotten used to Old Mort's disapproval, but I'm curious; does he approve of wanton waste, or is it that he just thinks that when "special people" do it, we have an obligation to remain silent about it?

I've killed lots of caribou. More than I can remember. Fed my family for years with them. There's caribou meat in the freezer right now. But I haven't killed even close to 130 of them. That would have fed my extended family for my entire life. And those scumbags left them to rot, then behaved like inner city criminals rioting and looting as if they had an inherent right to do so.

Better not let me catch 'em. They'll be found with their waste.

Go ahead.........punch your disapproval..........

Edited by Huntster
  • Upvote 1

I would pay your flight and all ammo if you killed 130 deer in my neighborhood.  I doubt it would put much of a dent in the county deer population but the yotes would be pissed.  All the meat could go to a food pantry if you want to feel good about it.  I would just be happy to reduce the odds of another collision with my wife's car, reduce the chance of lyme disease, and save my shrubs.

I would and do frown on clubbing seals if that counts. KInd of like shooting a couple child BFs with a 308.

Edited by NCBFr
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

I would pay your flight and all ammo if you killed 130 deer in my neighborhood..........

LOL! 

I doubt it would put much of a dent in the county deer population but the yotes would be pissed.  All the meat could go to a food pantry if you want to feel good about it.  I would just be happy to reduce the odds of another collision with my wife's car, reduce the chance of lyme disease, and save my shrubs............

I understand, and I wish I could help you. Do you live in Port Townsend?

My brother is a certified assassin, but I'm not. It's too bad your local government doesn't allow harvest in your area by trap or archery.

........I would and do frown on clubbing seals if that counts. KInd of like shooting a couple child BFs with a 308.

LOL.........I wouldn't be interested in such butchery, but I know a guy who did it commercially on the Pribilofs when he was a teenager. It was just a job. This is one of the nicest guys I know, too. All legal then, but not now. The environmental industry put an end to it. But there are plenty of fur seals out there.

Wince.... Port may be a tad strong.

I would be worried but you are off on Archery.  Thank god for the trapping.   I like my ankles.

BFF Patron

May 18, 2017 story?   Just broke up?  

Depressing what  a determined poaching ring can do.

Brazen cusses thinking broad daylight with that many dogs. 

BFF Patron
12 hours ago, bipedalist said:

May 18, 2017 story?   Just broke up?  

Depressing what  a determined poaching ring can do.

Brazen cusses thinking broad daylight with that many dogs. 

There are still individuals they are trying to identify.  So the investigation is ongoing.    I was thinking the other day it is a good thing at least some were caught.   Imagine what that bunch would do if you blundered into their poaching?    You might be their next hunt.   

Was thinking about this and how it would pertain to the subject of Bigfoot. Dead dear left around and didn't get carried off by a Sasqutch? Or a family of Sasquatches?. The poachers operated for two years and no Bigfoot were shot? No dogs tearing one apart? No stories of dogs being toen apart? No stories of sightings? Nothing on trail cameras left out by F&W to cpture the perps?

Or anything pertaining to Bigfoot was shoved under the proverbial rug? Doubt that myself. So Bigfoot just managed to stay away because of the guns and dogs? Maybe one took a dead dear but no one noticed because there were so many dead deer and other animals like bear and elk? Does Sasquatch even fit in this picture because they are supposedly so rare and reclusive? Sinc this is a Bigfoot Forum then how this article would relate to Bigfoot might be good to talk over.

So back to BF's, Last I listening to Sasquatch Chronicals... and he a eye witness on... from OK... his family are NA and his Grandparents live on or near the Illinois River in NE OK. Him and his brother, were down on the river bank playing on a sandy section of the river. when he saw what looked like a man in a buck skin Suit - across the river. Being a Kid he Yelled at the guy. He said" he thought it was odd that a guy would be wearing a buckskin coat since it was  Summer and extremely hot out." He said, The "Man" Turned and look at him and his brother And let out a hugh scream, not a woop or a growl, a scream. It made the hair on his neck stand up. He the "man then took off into the tree line at the bank of the river" . A few seconds later a friend of his grandpas came flying down grab the boys and rushed them back into his grandfathers cabin. He told the boys not to go back down, that "they are passing through and we dont bother them during this time of the year. mid July early august. I found that very very interesting. 

Again, NA understanding them and knowing where they will or could be... Why arent we BF Investigators  Listening to them and following up on it.

Edited by Franco

The question should be: why did he grab the boy's and got them the heck out of there?  What did Grandpas friend know about these creatures that was passed down to him through the elders?  So was this creature stalking the boy's or was it fishing and the boy's disturbed it. So when the creature screamed it was just to scare them off and make sure that they do not return. Again this is all speculation but what if this is what the purpose of the scream. Was it when the boy made eye contact the gig was up for the creature to grab them. Again speculation but what if the NA were right about the kidnappings of their own by these creatures. After all there was a war among them and I am not sure about it but some type of treaty was made between them.  If there was a treaty made among them have we now broken this treaty with these creatures? I mean we have now invaded their space disrespected the treaty that was made by the NA.  The one thing they have done right is that they have remained patient with us invading their space. Just some thoughts to think about if they are a Nation of giant people. 

13 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

The question should be: why did he grab the boy's and got them the heck out of there?  What did Grandpas friend know about these creatures that was passed down to him through the elders?  So was this creature stalking the boy's or was it fishing and the boy's disturbed it. So when the creature screamed it was just to scare them off and make sure that they do not return. Again this is all speculation but what if this is what the purpose of the scream. Was it when the boy made eye contact the gig was up for the creature to grab them. Again speculation but what if the NA were right about the kidnappings of their own by these creatures. After all there was a war among them and I am not sure about it but some type of treaty was made between them.  If there was a treaty made among them have we now broken this treaty with these creatures? I mean we have now invaded their space disrespected the treaty that was made by the NA.  The one thing they have done right is that they have remained patient with us invading their space. Just some thoughts to think about if they are a Nation of giant people. 

The question should be: why did he grab the boy's and got them the heck out of there? Yes.....

So was this creature stalking the boy's or was it fishing and the boy's disturbed it.  No, it was across the river heading NW I believe.

So when the creature screamed it was just to scare them off and make sure that they do not return. Again this is all speculation but what if this is what the purpose of the scream. Probably, From the interview it was more of a migration path.

BFF Patron

The Quinalt Tribe protocol if you encounter BF is to lower your eyes.     The thinking being it displays respect for the BF who does not like to be seen.    In my estimation if something is 9 feet tall respect is in order.    I suppose the corollary is that to take a picture is disrespectful.   BF sure does not seem to like that.    

1 minute ago, SWWASAS said:

The Quinalt Tribe protocol if you encounter BF is to lower your eyes.     The thinking being it displays respect for the BF who does not like to be seen.    In my estimation if something is 9 feet tall respect is in order.    I suppose the corollary is that to take a picture is disrespectful.   BF sure does not seem to like that.    

I can see that, But if I ran into a 10 foot one... Lower my eyes would be hard... Just the shock.. of seeing it... 

Great Apes put thier hands out- palm up... to there leaders a sign of submission.  I wouldnt want to be to Submissive, Different speicie and all. NO way are my eyes not going to look at him.  But a show of "I am not a threat, would be fine with me" 

If they are somewhere between US and Apes... The reports of faux charges, is to test your resolve....  I haven't been in that situation so it is all speculative. on my part.

But as a kid in Idaho, I did get up to a bear in camp. I stood there Look at in the eye.  spoke softly to it.... it left it could reached out and took me out, but it didnt. We startled each other. He had to be 300-400 lbs. His paw print was bigger than my hand.  

So, the aggression, of BF i believe is young are near, they are actively looking to mate.... other than that I dont think they see us a threat. per se.... we are small and not food.

BFF Patron

Like you did with the bear Franco, I have talked to BF twice now when I have had a close encounter.  Once was when I was trying to corner one and get it to break cover and it growled at me.    I said something like "OK I get it, I am backing out"     The second time was when I got hit with a dose of infra sound.   That time I said something like,   "It is remarkable that you can do that but would you stop because it hurts."      It did.     Like with the bear, I think if you talk in a calm voice,   most animals or humans for that matter,   do not assume you are a threat even when they do not understand your language.     Thinking about it,  even if they cannot understand English,   to talk to BF perhaps conveys your respect of them as an intelligent being, and that you want to communicate.  

• masterbarber pinned and unpinned this topic